1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NPC Elimination (Revised)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 19, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] OK, OK, OK. Due to overwhelming demand, I have revised the poll for the NPC Elimination Tournament. I am pairing these up to the best of my abilities, and keep in mind there are not a equal number of all NPC classes, so I have to make up some of these pairings as best as I can. My reasoning for the pairings are with the questions. I hope all of these satisfy the critics of the first poll.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 8 question(s). 64 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: NPC Elimination (Revised) (64 votes.)

Edwin and Nalia (closest pair of pure mages in the game) (Choose 1)
    * Edwin - 89% (57)
    * Nalia - 11% (7)

Imoen and Jan (both have a mixture of theif and mage skills) (Choose 1)
    * Imoen - 56% (36)
    * Jan - 44% (28)

Keldorn and Mazzy (both are paladin types, with a good fit on alignment) (Choose 1)
    * Keldorn - 70% (45)
    * Mazzy - 30% (19)

Korgan and Sarevok (Korgan has no chance - but only logical matchup) (Choose 1)
    * Korgan - 28% (18)
    * Sarevok - 72% (46)

Anomen and Viconia (closest pair of pure clerics) (Choose 1)
    * Anomen - 27% (17)
    * Viconia - 73% (47)

Jaheria and Cernd (both druids, one singe, one multi) (Choose 1)
    * Jaheria - 77% (49)
    * Cernd - 23% (15)

Minsc and Valygar (both rangers, but with totally differnt styles of play) (Choose 1)
    * Minsc - 67% (43)
    * Valygar - 33% (21)

Aerie and Haer Dalis' (they were the only two left, and didn't fit with anyone!) (Choose 1)
    * Aerie - 55% (35)
    * Haer Dalis' - 45% (29)

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Edwin vs. Nalia? Edwin because he have his extra spells and she sucks in thiefing.

Imoen vs. Jan? Jan because Imoen sucks hard and Jan is the only leveling thief and is quite funny.

Keldorn vs. Mazzy? Mazzy because I like halflings and Keldorn hates my fav. Viconia.

Korgan vs. Sarevok? Korgan because he kicks ass with dual axes.

Anomen vs. Viconia? Viconia. Anomen is annoying and Viconia is the greatest NPC and also have the best personality.

Jahiera vs. Cernd? Jahiera because I don't like anyone of them much and I hates druids but I dislike Jahiera the least.

Minsc vs. Valygar? Valygar because I have grewn boring of Minsc and Valygar is a great character whom can actually cast spells.

Aerie vs. Haer Dalis'? Haer Dalis' because Aerie sucks and Haer Dalis' is one of the greatest characters in the game.

Also when I voted it was 12-0 to Edwin against Nalia. Guess we all hate her eh?

3. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nalia: Edwin yelling "monkey-brained" at everyone makes him sound pathetic.

Imoen: hey, it's my sister, got to love her.

Mazzy: Keldorn's holier-than-thou is too much for me.

Korgan: while Sarevok actually makes plans to conquer Faerun, Korgan just kills, for the fun of it, CE style.

Viconia: I won't even say anything about Anomen.

Cernd: yes, Jaheira has a personality and all, but Cernd is more my idea of a druid, truly neutral, shapeshifting...

Valygar: I don't like hamsters.

Aerie: if I needed a bard, I'd play a scald.

4. Register Gems: 29/31

When will we find out whom will be in the next competition?

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only comment I'll make on this revised poll is ... Jaheira all the way, do you expect any less from me? :) :love: ;)

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ediwn vs Nilia: Nilia, I just dislike evil characters

Imoen vs Jan: Imoen, Jan talks slightly to much for my liking, I'm much to impashent (spelling?).

Keldorn vs Mazzy: Mazzy (i think i voted for her? :confused: ) she just is friendly halfling worrier, but her choice of weapons annoy me a bit.

Korgan vs Sarevok: Sarevok, dunno why, just prefer him to Korgan.

Anomen vs Viconia: Anomen, once again, not evil.

Jaheria vs Cernd: Jaheria, Cernds nature talks annoy me sometimes.

Minsc vs Valygar: "Ooo ooo you are a smart one! you said what you did just to make me mad. Mad enough to break free. You are as smart as boo sometimes". Take a guess :) .

Aerie vs Haer Dalis': The way Haer Dalis' talks pisses me off, so I would have to go with Aerie.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

*Below* Hey, Aerie isn´t annoying. Haer´Dalis is.

[ May 20, 2003, 12:54: Message edited by: Virne ]

8. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, at least Edwin is in this one and he's beating Nalia very convincingly... since Jahs was doing great against Vicky in the last poll, I'm not surprised that she is demolishing Cernd...

Some great battles though, particularly Minsc - Valygar. I have to say, I like Valygar better.

Aerie or H'D - you managed to pair two of the most annoying chars in the game, lol :p shame that I had to vote for one of them... I chose H'D.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Rutkowski

The poll will be run for one week, and I will start the next one at that time. So that will be May 26th (or possibly the 27th if I'm busy seeing as how it's Memorial Day).

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] after 26 votes - the two last pairs are equal!

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Not anymore they're not...

Edwin vs. Nalia: Edwin. Extra spells + Higher Int + Summoned Creatures.

Imoen vs. Jan: This would actually be the best duel on there. I voted for Imoen just because I like her a lot more, but Jan's thievery wouldn't help much against a much stronger mage.

Keldorn vs. Mazzy: I voted Keldorn, because he's got a lot more physical power, but Mazzy is faster, so she might actually win that one.

Korgan vs. Sarevok: 200 point criticals. Take a guess.

Anomen vs. Vicky: Anomen would probably actually win, despite the fact that I like Vic a lot more. His fighter skills and extra hitpoints would win the duel.

Jaheira vs. Cernd: Jaheira. No contest on that one.

Minsc vs. Valygar: Boo beats them both, : :D .

Aerie vs. HD: Aerie. Mage vs. Bard, that's not even a challenge!

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @ Rastor - remember the poll isn't necessarily designed to see who you would think would win a one-on-one battle between the two contestants. It's just who you like better. An argument can be made that in any of the pairings, any one of them could "win". So it's more of a popularity poll than anything.

To all: I have also set up brackets, not unlike brackets seen in the NCAA basketball tournament, so we can look to the future to see what the matchups will be. With 16 NPC's, I broke them down into four groups of four.

Group 1: Keldorn, Mazzy, Korgan and Sarevok. All fighters with no intrinsic spellcasting abilities whatsoever. Yes, they have special abilities, some of which actually work just like the spells of the same name, but none of them can actually click on the "cast spell" icon. Keldorn-Mazzy winner gets the Korgan-Sarevok winner.

Group 2: Minsc, Valygar, Jaheria and Cernd. Some of you might find this an odd grouping, but let me explain, as there is some sense behind it. First, there is the obvious link between Rangers and Druids. All members of this group are capable, to some greater or lesser extent, of casting druid spells. Also, all members of this group can still be used as front-line fighters (I'm assuming that Cernd would shapeshift to werewolf before attempting this). Minsc-Valygar winner gets Jaheria-Cernd winner.

Group 3: Edwin, Nalia, Imoen and Jan. This one is based obviously, on mage spellcasting, and to a lesser extent theiving abilities. Yes, Aerie and Haer-Dalis' can also cast mage spells, but Haer-Dalis' is limited to level 6 spells, so in that regard is a "lesser" mage than the others, and Aerie fits in just as well with the clerics as she does with the mages. Edwin-Nalia winner gets Imoen-Jan winner.

Group 4: Anomen, Viconia, Haer-Dalis and Aerie. This one is the group of clerics, and...um... the bard for lack of a better place to put him. Yes, I know that both Anomen and Viconia could be used as front-line fighters, but I think it is hard to make a good arguement that they are clearly better front-liners than the Druids. Plus, Cleric spells are distinct from Druid Spells, which is why I felt more justified putting the Rangers and Druids together rather than the Rangers and Clerics, or the Druids and Clerics. This group is everyone who was left, and sort of works in that 3 of the 4 members are at least part cleric. Viconia-Anomen winner gets Aerie-Haer-Dalis' winner.

So, then after we have each group winner, we'd be down to the "Final Four" so to speak. I would pit the winner of Group 1 and Group 2 together, and likewise the winner of Group 3 and Group 4 together. Those winners (only two left then) would obviously face off in the championship.

13. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Edwin because of +3 spells per level. More with certain items.

Imoen because I can't say that I have played through the whole game with Jan. I always dump either him or Yoshimo for Imoen.

Keldorn, because a Holy Avenger wielding palidin is just great, plus his true sight and dispel magic are priceless for me.

Saravok, wielding the Ravager +6 he basically has a 15% change to auto kill any non-boss. Plus he has a TON of hp. In the 170's if I remember correctly.

Viconia, she is a better cleric and with a couple items and her multitude of spells I think she is the better course. Plus she has the best personality.

Jahiera, I usually dump her and I never have let Cernd into my party but from what I have seen of them I like Jahiera better.

Valygar, I have him wield the CF and Belm so he is a good fighter, better than Minsc IMHO.

Aerie, just because I have not had Haer Dalis' in my party yet.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I think this thread is a great idea...I still think you left one major thing out: Custom NPCs. I wonder how Kelsey would do against Solaufien...or against some other custom NPC. I would start a new thred myself, but I am not very familar with several of the custom NPCs. Maybe JCompton will do it... :) :rolling:

15. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Yeah, but 16 is exactly the right number for play-off system :)Adding Kelsey would upset this, btw - there is no Yoshimo as well...

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    [​IMG] @ Kitrax, Jurts

Yes, you are correct, there are no custom NPC's in the tournament, nor is Yoshimo there. I deliberately eliminated Yoshimo, as he is unavailable after chapter 3. (OK, technically you get him for a little bit of Chapter 4.) Regardless, he will never be in the party long enough to start unlocking his HLA's, limiting his long-term use, and furthermore the fact that he ins't even in ToB, makes it difficult to say how he would function there. A character who is present for only half of SoA, and none of ToB, simply is in too small a percentage of the game to be included.

As far as custom NPC's are concerned, you are partly right that I did not include more as 16 is an ideal number. However, the problem with custom NPC's is where do you draw the line. There are so many of them out there, and while some are very well developed (like Kelsey) others are a joke. (I actually saw one where you can play Boo as a NPC, and he was a tank. Puh-lease.) Also, I am sure that there are several good custom NPC's that I have never heard of that I would have omitted, and then I would have got flooded with "You left out my favorite custom NPC" messages.

I am not saying that I would not consider putting out later versions of this poll, with custom NPC's involved, or just starting up a poll weekly on some topic. Like an elimination style tournament on "What NPC present in BGI were you most disappointed didn't show up in BGII?" or something like that. I will certainly take suggestions, but for now, we will continue this tournament out in full before going on to something else. :D

17. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Why doesn't anyone like Cernd? I think he's cool!
    BTW he looks like an indian :D

18. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

[​IMG] I would say that there are already a few clear winners. IMO i dont think that the results for the first six questions will change much. In each one the person in the lead has such a big lead now, I dont think that much will change.
    This may have already have been asked but, what day does this round finish?

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I was thinking of running th poll for a full week (meaning it would end May 26th), but I have considered lessening it. As has been pointed out, the odds of someone coming back to win in 7 of the 8 matchups is extrodinarily low. However, some people may only log in on weekends, which inclines me to wait until at least Saturday to post the new groupings. On the other hand, the only vote in question is Haer-Dalis' and Aerie, and I doubt either of them has any chance of winning, regardless of who advances to the next round. Thoughts anybody?

20. Greystar Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] @Djizzu G'izmo: I like him too, but Jaheira fans outnumber us :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.