1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Creating a party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by dofri, Apr 8, 2005.

1. dofri Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

heya guys

Before i start babbling i just want to warn u roleplayers, this is a powergaming thread.

Now, im tryin to make as powerfull a party as i can think of and im able to create parties that i like, but i would like some suggestions from u guys.

My current party.

Elf Fighter/Mage protagonist
    Half-elf Cleric/Ranger
    Half-elf Cleric/Ranger
    Human Paladin
    Human Thief(10)/mage(x)
    Human Sorcerer

This would give me 4 front fighters, 2 healers, a thief and 2 powerfull mages (3 if we also count the fighter/mage)

come now, give meh some nice suggestions

(sorry if this has been done countless times on the this forum)

2. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

Perhaps go with a Kensai/Mage instead of just the fighter/mage.

3. Findae Darkblade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

First off, please take a look at the forum rules. Please do not use 7331 speak, and do not abbreviate "you" with "u." Thanks. Now, I like your party for the most part, but I agree with Shall, take the kensai/mage. I'm playing an evil kensai/mage at the moment and he tears through enemies even without armor. Also, maybe try a different combo for the second cleric/ranger. Take something with a little more umph, like a fighter/cleric. The fighter would give you close to the same skill (no druid spells...) but with the grand mastery factor. A cleric with grand mastery in a type of blunt weapon is a terror.

*EDIT*
    One more thing, for your basic classes, try using a kit. Kits can give you some great special abilities.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bah, no powergaming party is complete with a Kensai / Thief for ultimate backstab / mega-trap power.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

IMHO, drop one of the C/R, and leave the spot blank. This way you can pick up NPCs for their quests and items.

The party will still be VERY powerful with only 5 members.

6. Findae Darkblade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ah yes, I do agree with Klorox. You do need at least one NPC. At least if you're planning on playing this team. If you're just making it for the fun of it, don't worry about it.

7. dofri Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thank you for the suggestions. My first question is: Is kensai/mage better then fighter mage?? does he get better thaco and does he get the HLA´s of a fighter? (whirlwind attack and smite)

Im currently using a dragon slayer as a paladin kit (got big picture installed). Was also wonderin about that second ranger/cleric but i dont seem to find anything better to add to the team then a second one.

8. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

A bard maybe, bardsong + spells = nice ;)

9. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

If you are going to take a thief/mage I would personally make him a bounty hunter. If you want to powergame his traps will destroy anything in the right circumstances - demogorgon for instance is a prime candidate.
    Another option is a Wizard Slayer/thief you can combine their magic resistance with the thiefs use any item ability to give them some unbelievable magic blocking (perhaps weilding carsomyr) I remember Jan Jansen using that in one of my games.
    The reason for a Kensai Mage as opposed to a plain fighter/mage is the bonuses kensais get for not using armour. You get a bonus to both hit rolls and damage + kai and a faster speed rating plus a natural -2 armour class bonus. Although you cannot use armour you have to remove this if you want to cast spells anyway. I used one of these as my protagonist and had AC-7 using certain items 19 dex helped as well. If you are considering multi over dual it is generally agreed that this may be better in TOB. Although you will get a lot more hp if you dual over multi. Using tensers transformation with a kensai mage was always quite amusing.
    If you are using a paladin have an inquistor - their dispel magic is a life saver. Most of the combat is centred around disabling spells and wading in with front liners so an inquistor is very useful.
    Some people like blades - they can be played in a way so them very hard to beat. I find them a little intensive for my liking. Monks are also very potent at high levels.
    Try some of the downloads on this site - they'll fill you in on all the details. Its best to experiment - no 1 class is best for all situations.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.