1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How intriguing is the idea of playing BG2 again?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sendel'ar, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I would like to know how many fans Baldur's Gate 2 still has. It's an old game, but still there are tons of mods being developed out there for it, and people are still posting questions and impressions. I know most people have already played it 3-4 times, but it would still be nice to see how much replay-ability the game still has.

I would please ask you to vote without emotional constraints because BG2 was a great game, but rather with sincerety.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 66 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How intriguing is the idea of playing BG2 again? (66 votes.)

How intriguing is the idea of playing BG2 again? (Choose 1)
    * I would gladly play it again. - 91% (60)
    * I think I have played it enough. - 9% (6)

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

To me it's simple. BG2 remains up do date until a game comes along that is able to replace it. There are other good RPGs, but none that has the options BG2 offers. Until their is a game that offers a single-player multi-party expirience, BG2 is the single-player choice.

3. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I checked "I would gladly play it again." IMO the game - still - has a lot of replay value, because

a) Once you've completed the game (SoA and ToB) a few times with a full party you start experimenting with fewer party members, "weaker" characters - and of course soloing.
    b) There are tons of great mods out there, adding NPCs, items, romances etc.
    c) You have the ability to raise the difficulty level of the game (through mods, the game's own gameplay options - and whatever restrictions you can dream up, fx hardcore playing as described in a previous thread on these boards).
    d) Discussing issues concerning BG on these boards always makes me want to start a new game - one way or another.
    e) ...

However, Baldur's Gate II could have been a less restricted, gameplay- and storywise, like the classic RPGs Fallout I and II or even Arcanum. I think these games have more replay value - at least for experienced CRPG-players...?

EDIT: Since I dislike computer games in 3D, especially CRPGs, I probably have to stick to the old classics. But I'd rather replay BG2 or Fallout II for the 100th time than hack'n'slash my way through some 3D-nightmare...

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I would like to play it again, but I can't bring myself to it. I am quite tired to play as a fighter/thief, blade, or wizard-slayer but I can't bring myself to play as others ethier. The same is with romance. I always romance Viconia and sometimes I get quite tired to reading the dialogs over and over but I can't bring myself to romance the others, it feels like cheating. :doh:

5. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Ooooh only two so far that has voted that they don't want to play it again. I'm one of the two.

After having played the game through 3 times, and countless of times that I didn't finish it, BG ll has started to get booring. And IMHO the modmaking for this game have gotten a bit out of control, come on there's like hundreds of mods to this game.

I think most of you disagree but as I said, this is my opinion.

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Haha! Think I've played it enough? Think not.

In all honesty, I can say I don't think the thought of "having played it enough" has *ever* crossed my mind. I've replayed a mod enough thanks to bugs, yes. Several even. But the game just won't die.

My only regret is the graphics, which aren't bad but don't exactly offer the maximum of immersion. I love the dialogue, the combat, the characters, the plot, everything. I'm pretty sure that unless they're gonna make a new game in the next 5 years that'll outdo BG2 in every single aspect -which considering the massive size of the game is quite unlikely- I'll still be playing it.

7. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm with the majority on this one, there is not yet a game to rival BGII for me. I can play it until the cows come home, and am not even ashamed to admit that I still play BG1 just as much. I'm just a BG addict...

8. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31

Impressive to see positive votes outnumber the negative by 22. It seems BG2 will never die, or at least the death will delay a lot!

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

There is nothing out there that can replace BG:2 story wise or character interaction wise. Simply put, people will play it till something can replace BG:2 in that regard.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

At the moment I feel like I have played enough, finishing it for the Nth time only a few months back. So I voted for the second option, although now that "Icewind Gate 2" has been made available (3E rules on BG2), I'm pretty certain that will make the whole game refreshed out. Hopefully, after the first patch comes out. :p

11. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i can't wait till' i get my knew computer(without a fried Graph card) i'll be playing it soon again

and i have played it alod, and most of the mods that are worth to try

Balle

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I play it all the way through once every month...atleast. That's not counting the times I start a game with some character and give up halfway through.

So far, I've finished it 25+ times, and I don't think I'm going to stop playing it any time soon either.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Once every month? Wow. And to think it takes me a full month to play through...

I've played it through to completion 4 times until now, and have been toying with the idea of replaying through the entire series now that BGT is available. It's just that, after 4 times through, some parts (especially in Spellhold) become too repetitive.

OTOH, I agree with Victor Emerita's "less restricted" comment. Even BG1 was less restricted, with that freedom to go where you want, see what you want and do what you want. However, I think BG2 sacrificed that for better plot, more interesting NPCs, one of the best villains in any RPG, and really involved quests - a fair trade, I would say.

14. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's the best 2nd edition AD&D game ever and I can't get enough of it. Sometimes I don't play it for months at a time, but I always come back, even if it's only to check out the new MODs that were develloped. MODs keep this great game alive even after you have played a dozen times over. I think I've played it umodded over thirty times, before putting the first MOD on my HD, and keep playing it. I don't think I would have played it if it was 3rd edition, since one of the fun parts is that I went through the games several times with my PnP party, which is 2nd ed. If I hade the time, patience and skill, I would probably would have tried to make a MOD to include our characters and their stronghold in the game, but alas, that will stay a dream.

15. Tananda Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Played it enough? No way! The series, BG1 through ToB, has an incredible storyline and meshes well throughout all the games. The recurring characters like Viconia and Minsc, as well as the newer NPCs, add a sense of continuity as well as a real feeling of other personalities...how else to describe the spats between evil and good NPCs or the love triangles during romances? I'm just hoping and praying that they actually complete and release BG3, so the adventure continues!

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Between the mods and the party interaction (not to mention 51 different classes and dual-classing), the romances, the stronghold quests, and all the stuff you didn't find the first couple of times through, this game has a hell of a lot of replayability. ToB gets more repetitive since you have to do the same stuff over (except you can make good or evil choices), but the whole saga is awesome. I've just rediscovered BG1 and I'm loving it, despite the engine's annoying traits.

17. Jolt Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ill never have played it enough! After playing a bunch of times you still can find alot of stuff you dint find the first time

18. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31

Have you considered using the BGtutu mod, to run BG1 content in the BG2 engine?

19. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Thought about it, but currently don't have time. When I can do it, I will, but I currently still need to get a line into my room in the share house I'm in.

20. Veldrin the Drow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I must have played baldurs gate II over 40 times now, and i still never find it boring and i still am learing lots about it. i have also played BG about 5 times but i have just installed tutu so will play it a lot more. i think that it is so re-playable because you completete it so many times until eventually you have done every quest used every NPC used the best items, and then you download a MOD and try it with that, then you combine mods and you add whole new aspects into the game. It is a game you can just play over and over and over.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.