1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favorite Paladin Kit?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by knightlight, Jan 3, 2005.

1. knightlight Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@deuce

Bah, the "fallen paladins" in the Bridge District are just CN fighters. How disappointing.

2. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Undead Hunter.

Mainly the same reasons as Kitrax.

3. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Cavalier, very good solo-kit.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

There's even more reason to choose an Inquisitor over a Cavalier if you're soloing.

5. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

if i would play solo with a paladin (which i would never do so because i cant stand them :bang: )i would choose an inquisitor or a undead hunter

6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Cavalier, simply because he's the better fighter of the two.
    I also find Inquisitors indispensable, but if I wanted one I've only to pick up Keldorn.
    Solo-wise, the Cavalier stands as much decent a chance as an Inquisitor. Draw Upon Holy Might + Spiritual Armor xn, among other combinations, is a fair trade for the Inquisitor's anti-mage skills.

7. Earl Grey

@ San Ti
    The Amulet of Power will give a soloing paladin immunity to level drain, thus the Undead Hunter loses the arguably best advantage it has compared to the other kits.

There is a baldurdash fix for the Amulet of Power, here is a quote from it's readme file:
    @ Scythesong Immortal
    Did you mean Armor of Faith when you wrote Spiritual Armor?
    Armor of Faith sets damage resistance and is not cumulative with items.
    Also Paladin casting level maxes out at level 9, which means that the damage reduction this spell gives a paladin is 10%.

DUHM is a great spell, but it too is severly limited by the 9th level casting cap. This means that a paladin will only get +2 to Str, Dex and Con from casting DUHM.

IMO neither Armor of Faith nor DUHM will have any significant impact even though they are both very nice. There is no way it can compare to the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic and True Sight.

8. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I've forgotten mg BG2. Yes, I meant Armor of Faith. ;)
    It's a cumulative spell, so the repeated castings will stack up the damage reduction bonus.

+3 for 9th LvL for DUHM, iirc. The level cap is mixed up, though, since I distinctly remember my Cavalier reaching 25 Str (from 21), for a total of 4 bonus points.

They are not useful by themselves but combined with the Paladin's warrior HLA's they do make a significant impact, allowing them to kill the more powerful monsters easily. Verily do I think would an Inquisitor balk at the task of fighting a draconic or demonic creature toe-to-toe for example, or a pack of fighters with their HLA's on.

If I see a wizard casting a spell I would Smite them, although I agree that on instances where they decide to cast spells while invisible the Cavalier would have a much harder time than the Inquisitor.

9. Earl Grey

Armor of Faith being cumulative with itself is a known bug. Get the baldurdash fix to correct that!

I tested DUHM by creating a new Cavalier in ToB and casting it gave +2 to Str/Dex/Con.

Fighting a demon is not something one needs to fear. Dragons on the other hand can be really hard. :)

10. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I don't think it's a bug. :)
    I think it's cheese. Pretty much like Doom X N.
    Besides, Paladdins have a limit on how much they can resist with this spell (Even when casting it N times). Whether multiple casting this all the way to 100 in the case of Clerics and Druids is cheating is one arguement I'd rather not get into, however. (Because yes, I think it is.)
    40% is max for me.

I tested mine and realized it was the innate DUHM, back in SoA in an old SoA game.

There's always Demogorgy and the Ravager (This one, in particular, is rock solid). I noticed an Inquisitor can kill Draconis more easily than a Cavalier, but a Cavalier can kill Abazigal much easier than an Inquisitor. (Cheese unwise. No trapping dragons between impassable paths)
    The distinction between the two is clear enough. :)

[ January 18, 2005, 04:34: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

11. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Inquisitor, for the reasons already outlined above.

12. Earl Grey

You really think it's cheese? Hmm... I guess that depends on how you define the difference between cheese and bug. I think it's cheesy to exploit the bug.
    How come 4 castings and 40% is max for you? Would 70% be too cheesy or why not 100%? :p

Here is the text from baldurdash about the fix that takes care of all those cumulative effects bugs:

From the readme file:
    This fix is only a "must have" if you know you can't resist exploiting those spells. AFAIK the computer doesn't.

All paladins can cast DUHM for a fairly large part of the game since they all have it as an innate ability until about the end of Spellhold. The reason this DUHM is better (for paladins) is that it's not affected by the 9th level paladin spellcasting limit.

I agree with you that Demogorgon is a tough demon. You don't have to fight him though. When soloing you gain nothing by fighting him since you already have all the xp you can use and there is nothing that is "unlocked" by his defeat.

[ January 18, 2005, 14:30: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

13. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think having a paladin to fight undead is never enough so I always give the amulet of power to one of my other tanks, thats my main reason to use undead hunter, having an ability that can be used by a magical item is never a bad thing...

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    You tread on familiar ground, Earl. In the same light is it so cheesy then, to exploit the 1 second bugged casting time of Imprisonment? Is it cheesy to reload over and over again just get the desired effects from the Wish Scroll? Why not so?
    And how is it that the effect of Time Stop seems to span a whole breadth of land (ie, a whole district in Athkatla)?

40% is max for me since it allows me get through the tough fights in ToB with the right amount of challenge. I really don't care much whether or not this was intended, or else we'd get into details not worth bringing up anymore.

Sooner or later we'll arrive at the correctness of the Spirit Animals' true abilities, I'd presume. So to suspend further arguement, and for the sake of players who play unmodded BG2, the Cavalier is the better toe-to-toe fighter over the Inquisitor. Modded game-wise, and the Inquisitor makes a good all arounder, although the Cavalier still has the upper hand in fights with demonic or draconic creatures. (Or hard-hitting fighters, for that matter) :p
    Mages, however, seem to be alot harder to kill than even a Kensai on GWW, and the simplest, and one of the most effective ward against their awesome power comes in a very nice package - all wrapped up and ribboned in the form of the Inquisitor.

[ January 18, 2005, 15:53: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

15. Earl Grey

It's all about being on "the same page" for a discussion like this. If someone exploits bugs, uses too much cheese or cheats then it's important for the discussion that everyone knows what that person bases his arguments on.

It's not about moralizing over cheating, exploiting bugs etc. It's about everyone having the same premise. It's about avoiding misunderstandings. It's about getting everyone onto the same page.

For example if someone uses "fake talk" to kill a dragon then knowing this is vital to understanding why that player thinks it's a piece of cake to kill said dragon. :)

The opinion on what is cheese, what is a bug etc varies from person to person. That is why it's good to clarify things.

What is releveant depends on the discussion. In this discussion knowing that you like to get a 40% resistance from a spell that other players get 10% out of helps understand why you like the Cavalier.
    I'd go out on a limb and say that Spirit animals abilities are not important here. ;)

16. knightlight Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I beleive i once checked it in Shadowkeeper and found that although the kit description for Cavalier states that they are immune to Charm and Fear, the immunity to Charm effect is only applied to Inquisitors.

17. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    A rather direct way of placing things, but I'll be more specific next time then. :p
    I play on unmodded BG2, and I know know my way around the game (cheese or straight), so I'll be able to give comments on how the game is without mods. It might help if there should ever be a case wherein different ideas collide because of the presence of mods.

18. Hydragyrum Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Undead Hunter -I keep him in the front line, often surrounded by Vampires. As for the Amulet of Power, what do you think keeps my best spell caster available to support him?

Hg

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think my favourite would be Undead Hunter, after my recent troubles with level drain. :grr:

20. Lord Sven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Cavalier of course... Just seems the natural kit for palas

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.