1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Item enchantment.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by casey, Dec 7, 2003.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

shouldent it be possible Late in the game for your mages to enchant there own weapons and spells? I mean look at the Mage stronghold apprentices there probably only at the highest level 6-7's and they can create a ring of wizardry! so when I observed this I thought to myself. Why is it that level 20+ mages that can stop time can't do something as simple as create arrows of dispeling out of ordinary arrows? I also wonder if anyone else here has thought that if it's a bit ridiculous that you can't do simple enchantments and yet you can stop the flow of time and cast about a hundered spells in a single instant.

2. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Read your DMG for suggested material requirements for magic items. They are extremely demanding to make and require months of a mage's time, as well as 1000s of GPs cash investment. Your mage has better things to do that craft magic items. Besides which you have Cromwell and Cespenar.

3. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I tend to agree with casey. I mean, in the later stages both theives and bards can create potions and scrolls out of nothing. Once a day. It just doesn't seem right that say Edwin at his peak level cannot make a simple dagger +1 or something of the sort.

4. casey Gems: 15/31

Ok Chris can you please tell me what DMG stands for?

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

I think it means Dungeon Master's Guide. It's a book used in p&p. It states all sort of data about items, monsters etc. to help the dungeon master create an adventure for the players.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    If this was implemented into the game, they would have to make it so that the items created cannot be sold. Otherwise, a player could go to a store, by a longsword for 7gp, enchant it and sell it back to the shopkeep for 1000+.

In other words, ££££'s for doing sod all :rolleyes: . It isn't a bad idea though, in that case :D .

7. casey Gems: 15/31

There's always Theives if you wan't quick money for nothing instead.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You seem to be missing the point.

If you mean that you pick-pocket a storekeep, then sell his items back to him, this is Cheese of the highest order.

If you mean you pick-pocket citizens and rob houses, then this is certainly legit. You do however, run the risk of your thiefe getting caught.

Buying a weapon, enchanting it, then selling it back is more alike the first one.

9. casey Gems: 15/31

How is it like the former? if you buy a normal weapon and then enchant it yourself, only to sell it back?

And something about what Chris said about the cash investments don't seem to add up, why would enchanting items cost material money if your able to do the timestop/alacricity combo for free since all enchanting weapons means to me as far as I know of (not very far) is pouring your magic energy and shaping it to whatever enchantment you like as a spell caster would when shaping and forming the energy for all the magic tricks and goodies they can cast.

Edit: Morsmordre why is it cheesy to steal/sell/steal/sell etc, to a shop keeper for all the money you want? if your doing this with Vanilla +1, 2 and 3 weapons then how could the keeper suspect anything, considering how common vannilla weapons must be? I certainly agree though about doing this with all the rare items such as the Robe of Vecna and the Balduran items however.

10. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31

Sure your mage can cast the enchantments, but the object that receives the enchantment needs to be very special indeed, made out of rare and expensive materials (e.g. meteoric iron, a flawless diamond and three tail feathers from a cockatrice) and crafted in the most painstaking fashion (forged and reforged under seven consecutive full moons and quenched each time in thrice-blessed holy water). Any old iron simply won't do the trick. When the item has been crafted (at the cost of both time and a great deal of money) the mage needs to cast Enchant Item (not implemented in BG2) to prepare the object to receive its enchantments. When the enchantments are complete Permanency (again not implemented) needs to be cast to fix the enchantments. Now do you see why your mage can't forge magic items?

BTW, "DMG" does indeed stand for "Dungeon Master's Guide".

11. casey Gems: 15/31

thank you Chris :) I feel like a blind man you can see again ;)

12. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Plus, IIRC the enchant weapon in PnP only adds +1 and takes weeks to perform. So you would need to repeat the process several times to get something worthwhile for ToB.

13. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well you can cast spells that form weapons in your hands. They dont last but you can do that. Honestly if you wanted to enchant something decent in tob it would take you tons of time. The apprentices prolly have all their materials pre prepped for them by the other cowled wizards and all they have to do is imbue the enchantments on the prepared materials and make them permanent. Thats a lot easier than actually find the materials and making them appropriate for enchanment, which may take weeks, months, or even years.

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

But what about the theives abilities to make potions? Wouldn't those potions take weeks at a time to prepare?(ie add ice salamanders scale and simmer for two weeks)

If a theif can make a magically enhanced potion in a split second, why not a mage making a weapon or other item?

15. CamDawg

That's true, BG2 already fudges a lot of time issues. Mages are supposed to go and study before they gain skils from their new levels, but it's a bit impractical to implement in BG2. Potions I can at least see a rationalization: if the ingredients themselves are magic (i.e. no separate enchantment needs to be bestowed) and they are on hand, I can see a magic potion being created fairly quickly.

The biggest reason I'm sure this wasn't implemented is practical. To allow for the variations of flail heads and what order they go in, there are *seven* Flail of Ages items required for SoA. Imagine if you allowed that complexity into every weapon and you can see what a mess develops.

A nifty alternative might be to allow powerful mages to assemble the existing artifact weapons themselves without Cromwell or Cespenar, possibly as a HLA.

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Aye, most potions are definitely easier to make than weapons.
    Anyways, given the items in the game why would you want to make more? There's an item for just about any kind of need there is.

@Camdawg
    Nice one, but certainly not as an HLA, or it would be the worst HLA simply because it's a potential Planetar exchanged for a trip to the pocket plane for Cespenar.
    Maybe at the cost of the mage's energy (lost random amount of x level spells?), resources or time.

Sell-stealing is NOT cheesy. You see it done just about everywhere in real life, don't you?
    Simple deceptions, high charisma, and voila, 50,000 gc. And considering just about every merchant in BG2 has below 10 widsom, this shouldn't be too hard.
    It's just a matter of finding the right prospects. ;)

17. casey Gems: 15/31

There is one thing that I hate more then anything else in SoA and ToB, and it's the weapons.
    Don't get me wrong the weapons are great it's not the power or the types that annoy me it's the fact that there is something like 6-7 long swords that you have to choose between while they only have about 2 flails, 2 Katana's, 1 hammer, 2 bastard swords, NO club's or morning stars and some others that I forgot.

Now the million dollar question in my mind is why do they have a **** load of good weapons in one proficency and have others that aren't even worth considering?

18. CamDawg

LOL, I didn't say it would be a good HLA! :D

19. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

this reminds me of morrowind where you CAN enchant your own items, sadly........the other posters are right, u'll get a huge amount of gold by selling it afterwards. :rolleyes:

but the feature would be fun to see.

20. Jaguar Gems: 27/31

Veteran

Well, why not make some money. I mean you can have theives go around and pilfer for you, you can have apprenti make magical items that you can sell, and many other things. Why not make a little money. Its not that important.

For me, by the fifth chapter or sooner, money doesn't matter anymore. I mean, you can steal any item and sell it for cash, so money obviously doesn't hold the game together.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.