1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with the Ravager! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by AvaLance204, Aug 24, 2001.

1. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I am currently soloing a Sorcerer. I have beaten Demogorgon and have already achieved the XP cap. The Ravager, the final test in the Pocket Plane, however, is giving me a bit of trouble. Up until now, most challenging battles were resolved fairly quickly via use of a pattern of Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, Lower Resists or Pierce Magics, and a few Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings thrown in to do my damage, followed up by a Fallen Planetar to wipe up. For the Ravager, however, my Fallen Planetar and Magical Swords aren't doing any damage, and it seems that my spells are insufficient. I attempted turning into the Slayer, but Barely Injured was the furthest I got him to.

Any suggestions, tactics, or strategies welcome.

2. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I put all of my fighters on the ravager (after I dispelled his globe of blades) and summoned monsters to preoccupy the bone blades. When there was too many of the bone blades Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting will get rid of or do a good bit of damage to them. I believe about 2 magic missiles will kill a bone blade.... maybe 3. Just concentrate your strength on the Ravager. I think there is a thread about this with a lot more different techniques. Maybe that will give you more help.

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

If you have the right spells consider beat-down, (i.e. Tenser's Transformation, Stoneskin, Mirror Image, as well as Silmacrum) Then get out Staff of the Magi or Staff of the Ram and have at it. Potions too maybe.

4. AngelusDomini Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] You can thrown in some fodder monsters by summoning them prior to the fight.

Go only 1/3 up the stairs, summon them as far into the room as possible.

The Rav. gave me problems, and I'm not soloing. It took Sav. and Kel. with Greater Whirlwind, everyone else fighting bone blades, and luck, to beat him.

ad

5. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Thanks, I think I'll take Big B's strategy to try out tonight. Only problem, though, is I can't find the Roranach's Horn required to upgrade the Staff. Add to that the fact that I don't have Tenser's Transformation...well, I think I'll use my Demogorgon strategy on it. It goes something like this...

Chain Contingency:
    3 Abi-Dalzim's on sight.

Spell Trigger:
    3 Pierce Magics.

What I did with Demogorgon was summon a Fallen Planetar beforehand, along with a few Mordenkainen's Swords, and fired the Spell Trigger before the Chain Contingency set off. Demogorgon went down in a second or two along with the Mariliths.

Think that strategy will work?

6. AngelusDomini Gems: 1/31

No, because Rav. has 500 hit points. The battle will go on much longer than you can sustain, you'll be overwhelmed by bone blades.

First, do defensive prep.

Then cast spell immunity, covering the area with 5 death clouds or 5 cloud kills or 5 area spells like that. Whatever you've got that'll keep the bone blades busy twitching and dying.

Then cast 3 lower resistance spells (trigger or not) and then start hammering him to pudding with your best damage spells. He'll be taking damage from the clouds and you at that point. I think that'll be more effective than your demigorgon approach.

ad

7. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Thanks for the advice. I just got back home, and so far my Demogorgon approach has gotten him to 'Injured'. I'll take your advice and fire off cloudkills with a spell immunity on, thanks for the help. Update coming later.

EDIT: I got massacred when I tried the Cloudkill strategy, though it kept the Bone Blades occupied. When I focused on Abi-Dalzim's in the beginning with Improved Alacrity, I actually got it down to 'Badly Injured' while the Bone Blades were distracted by my Mordenkainen's Sword. I think that a good frontal assault is all that's needed, so my new strategy will be like this:

Pre-Battle:

Chain Contingency:
    3 Abi-Dalzims

Spell Trigger:
    3 Pierce Magics

In-Battle:

Fire Spell Trigger, get next to Ravager. When the Chain Contingency goes off, load up another one. This way, I can fire off 3 Abi-Dalzims simultaneously at a time, and since I have 8 Abi-Dalzims per day and 3 loaded the previous day, 11 Abi-Dalzims in the first four rounds makes for one dead boss :).

If that doesn't work, I might start considering letting Keldorn into the party with my +6 Carsomyr.

EDIT 2: HAHA! I DID IT! Ok, not really that exciting, I know, but it's my first time through the game. It seems my Chain Contingency strategy worked quite nicely, though I did run out of Abi-Dalzim's (had to resort to Cloudkills.) Thanks for the advice, everybody, and this topic (quite short, I might add) can be closed unless someone else needs help with the Ravager.

[This message has been edited by AvaLance204 (edited August 24, 2001).]

8. AngelusDomini Gems: 1/31

Leave it to me to get you mutilated. Did I forget to tell you who's side I was on?

ad

9. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] lol. The strategy you submitted actually was nice in getting the Bone Blades out of the way, but if I were any of you I'd have put my money on the Ravager. Anyway, topic resolved, since I beat it.

10. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Bravo

11. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Globe of blades should damage the Ravager -- send in a planetar (or deva for non-mages) with globe of blades activated.

Incidentally, good prep in all the pocket plane challenges is to cast farsight on the room in question, then send in a projected image or simulacrum or summoned creatures or whatever. Farsight will give you the ability to control your conjured/summoned allies, get them in position, etc. The challenge won't begin until an actual PC or NPC enters the room. If you've got a way to simulacrum or project the image of a character with thieving abilities, you can set traps too.

[This message has been edited by Bombur (edited January 14, 2002).]

12. I love bg2 Banned

why not just summon creaters, elementels, planetars, and things like them and set all our contingenceys and trigers to protection spells then cast black blade of disaster (hits as a +5 weapon :)? this method might take a whil but bepersistaint and you might take him down.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.