1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All archer party. suggestions?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by casey, May 28, 2004.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I was thinking of doing something a bit different this time around by taking a party that's all based on ranged attacks and able to use some type of missle weapon competantly.

I only want to have one character proficient with any one weapon rather than everyone using long/short bows/xbows so I have a larger variety of choices. I'm not excluding Clerics or theiving but I'd rather make it through with as little magic as possible, and I'd rather not take custom NPC's or Anomen because they are uninteresting and boring and Anomen annoys me.

I'll be playing as an Archer but I'm not sure what type of missle weapon I want to take, I'll be taking Valygar for his skill in spears and Imoen for her theiving abilities and skill in the short bow, but I'm undecided on everything else.

2. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

ranged weapons:

crossbow
    short bow
    long bow
    sling
    dart
    throwing dagger
    throwing axe

thats 7 options :)

keldorn is good at crossbow (or was it minsc)
    give the short bow to mazzy
    long bow for yourself
    give imoen a throwing dagger
    jaheira can take a sling
    any fighter can take throwing axe or the dart. (most likely a thief for the darts, jan or yoshimo for example....or even nalia.).

hope this helps! :)

i think stonefire or azuredge is a throwing axe....not sure....

boomerang is a throwing dagger, and the thief merchant in the shadow thief main stronghold sells poisoned throwing daggers.

just to help ya out abit :)

Perhaps:

You: archer, Long Bow
    Mazzy, Short bow
    Jaheira, slings
    Keldorn, crossbow
    Custom Thief, darts
    korgan\valygar, throwing axe

Weapons:
    Long bows:
    taralash, ripper, mana bow, Strong arm +2, elven court bow, heartseeker +3

Short Bows:
    Bow of arworeen, darkfire, Gesen, tansherons, tuigan.

slings:
    Erinne's sling, sling of arworeen, sling of everard, sling of seeking, sling +3: arlas dragonbane.

crossbows:
    crossbow of affliction, firetooth, flascher launcher, giant hair crossbow, crossbow of accuracy, searing, crossbow of speed, necaradans crossbow.

Darts:
    asp's nest, crimson dart, dart of stunning, dart of wounding.

throwing axes:
    azuredge, hangards axe, klogarath, rifthome.

throwing daggers:
    poisoned throwing dagger, boomerang dagger.

the party:
    quite nice, mazzy and keldorn have points in their respective weapons and i think jaheira too.
    moreover, mazzy starts out with a short bow (short bow of arvoreen). this party doesnt have much magick, keldorn and jaheira will provide it when necessary and desired (healing, dispelling etc.) The custom thief is recomended as there really arent any pure thiefs exept yoshimo, though you might dual class a npc into one if you can (not likely before sarevok perhaps).
    all in all, i think this is the best set up especially since you dont want anomen hehe.

hope it suits your tastes. you can however swap keldorn for minsc if you desire (rpg aspect reasons). good luck!

[ May 28, 2004, 13:45: Message edited by: Death Whisper ]

3. casey Gems: 15/31

Sorry I should have said this before but I have the Item upgrade mod installed and that includes throwing spears for Valygar, and I'm planning on giving him the throwing implaler.

4. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

hehe no worries,

that do make 8 choices then :)

i dont have any list or memory of all throwing spears though.

do tell us how the party turn out when you begin hehe. Are you going to use melee weapons as backup? or just run away from danger....?

a swashbuckler with bows would perhaps be cool (hide, shoot, run, hide, shoot, run etc.)...just a thought....might be better as solo...anyway im talking ahead of meself....

just inform us how th party turns out :)

5. casey Gems: 15/31

Does the Swashbucklers damage bonuses have an effect on bows though? if it does it might be worth a shot but the Archer's called shot ability is very helpful once he maxes out 3-4 of them with Improved haste and Called shot could likely str drain most people to death, but do you know if the draining effect would work on a mage protected from magical weapons? probably woulden't be a problem in most cases seeing as you get normal arrows in the thousands through the game.

Pesrsonally I feel that if I have 6 party members and have a coup`le of them to run around as decoys I shouldent even need to rely on melee, and by the time I get to ToB with the party you suggest I'd probably kill most groups of enemies or at the very least weaken them enough to be helpless in a melee anyway, and now that I think of it I'm not sure if it's going to be hard enough to keep me interested, but I guess I'll try and find out anyway.

6. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

i think it does.....if the description doesnt specify melee i would believe so, moreover....the swashbuckler can specialize ;)

i have no idea bout called shot, i have seldom used an archer....and never finished any games with them. if protection from magick weapons, protects against magick weapons it does just that......dont use a magick weapon then :p
    just some logical thinking haha....try it out :)

your party sounds interesting, give it a go :)
    if you find it boring, try not to pause hehe

have fun :D

Available Races

Human
    Elf
    Half-Elf
    Gnome
    Halfling
    Dwarf
    Half-Orc

Primary Attributes

Dexterity (9 Minimum)

Strengths

+1 Bonus to Armor Class
    +1 Additional Bonus to Armor Class every 5 levels
    +1 Bonus to THAC0 and Damage every 5 levels
    Can specialize (++) in any Thief melee weapon
    Can place three proficiencies in "Two Weapon Fighting Style"
    Backstab
    Set Traps
    Detect Illusions
    Move Silently
    Hide in Shadows
    Pick Pockets
    Pick Locks
    Find/Remove Traps

Weaknesses

No Backstab Multiplier
    Cannot be Lawful Good
    Can only wear Leather or Studded Leather Armor
    Can only use Bucklers
    Limited weapon selection

Possible High-Level Abilities [ToB]

Alchemy
    Assassination
    Avoid Death
    Evasion
    Greater Evasion
    Scribe Scrolls
    Set Exploding Trap
    Set Spike Trap
    Set Time Trap
    Use Any Item

i would say the damage apply, but im not sure wether the bows are thief weapons (specializing).

[ May 28, 2004, 15:45: Message edited by: Death Whisper ]

7. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Why dont you create 5 archers, and pick up Jan Jansen. Jan has a custom made launcher and this party can use potions and temples for healing

8. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm trying a True Archer kit Fighter, halfling high master in darts. Give him a STR enhancing belt and watch the carnage! THere aren't many returning darts in the game :( but there are several mods which fix this problem. Darts give a large ammount of attacks, with a lot of damage potential (they include STR bonus) which make them ideal missile combat weapons. Drawback is that darts don't have a large range and you have to close with your enemies, but this is nothing a proper tank can't solve ;)

9. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I had party of 1 fighter, 1 Cleric, 2 archers, 2 mages and most enemies fell to my archers in no time! I tried all archers but that was just boring! Oh and nearly impossible because spellcasters slaughtered them with all their nasty protections! :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.