1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira - 2 weapons or 2 handed weapon?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was wondering what the opinions are on Jaheria out there in terms of weapons? Is it better to dual weild, or use a two handed weapon? Yes, with Blem, you get two extra attacks when going with dual weild, but there are some really powerful staffs and spears out there. In SoA, there's Rynn, Arundel, and Woodlands, and in ToB there is Staff of the Ram. With Spears you get Backbiter and Ixil's Spear (or whatever it's called - I think I got it wrong, but you know what I mean).

So is two more attacks better, or more damage per attack better? You don't get enough proficency points to do both, so I have to decide one way or the other. Another weapon to go with Blem would be appreciated as well. Blackblood maybe?

[ June 06, 2003, 11:16: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I like to give her a scimitar and a shield for a little extra protection. Also, you can't use a ranged weapon if you are dual wielding, so take that into consideration. :rolling:

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I usually either give her a scimitar and shield (as said above) or a spear. Don't know why, no reason really, just do.

4. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Personally, I've never been fond of spears. I've had Jaheira use both a scimitar and shield as well as a staff and I've found that she is much more effective with the scimitar. I've never put much thought into dual-wielding her, so I suppose that might work.

Given the topic, however, I would choose 2-handed weapon over 2 weapons. I've seen her deliver some hefty damage with the Staff of Thunder and Lightning as well as the Staff of the Woodlands.

5. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I equipp Jaheira with either a scimitar and a shield or a spear or a staff i don't know i think she is more efficient that way. ;)

6. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Let's say, Jaheira is better off without any weapons, otherwise she'll kill us all in her disguised madness.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some decent dual-wield options (any combination here):
    Belm +2
    Spectral Brand
    Blackblood
    Club of Detonation (though I don't like the chance for fireball)

Probably the best damage combo here would be Blackblood (1d6 +3, +3 Acid) and the Spectral Brand (1d8 +4, plus 1d4 Cold, and is upgradable ), though having Belm here would give you the extra attack. However, it's only a +2 weapon (nearly useless in TOB) and yields no extra damage. I'd take it early on, but ditch it when you can replace it with one I listed. The 1 extra attack isn't worth it if it isn't hitting anything.

Also, if this is the way you want to go, I highly recommend you get Weimer's item upgrade mod. It allows you to upgrade and/or combine the various clubs in the game (among others), making them less of a joke. All components for the upgrades are in the game already. So your 'cheating' conscience is clear.

Some great 2-handed weapons:
    -Spear +3: The Impaler (tons o' damage; 1d6 +3, plus 10 Piercing damage. That's 14 - 19 damage per hit, before bonuses!)
    -Ixil's Spike
    -Staff of the Ram
    -Staff of Thunder & Lightening (less damage, more abilities)
    -Staff of Rhynn (+4, so it can hit most enemies in the game)

By all accounts, the Staff of the Ram is the best melee choice here, though I've never used it personally. Like Kitrax said, this may be the way to go if you still want a missile weapon. I'd recommend the Sling of Seeking here, and I'm sure by now you've given Jaheira something to boost her strength. The Sling of Seeking adds your strength bonus to your damage rolls (that's +7 with the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength equipped @ 19 STR).

So if you look hard enough, there are actually some pretty sweet weapon combos available for druids in the game, they just aren't as plentiful as the rest and are few and far between.

8. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you're going with Weimer's upgrade mod use the Staff of the Woodlands. The built in defense as well as the chance of Creeping Doom makes Jaheira worth taking in the first place.

9. Bassilus Banned

She has no thief skills, has very meager spellcasting ability, and she's going to suck in combat either way. Jaheira sucks at just about everything.

That being said, have her transform into a wolf in combat, that will be the most effective fighting she can do. :D

Seriously, for those who think she's good, spears. Try the Impaler. Regardless of strength, it will at least do ten damage every time.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find Jahiera's AC is low if i dont use a shield. I use Belm + Fortress Shield until i get a better scimitar. Once well into ToB and i have some mean armour, i get tempted to dual wield with 2 scimitars.

BTW: Jahiera is a quality NPC. The only druid in the game who can actually stand toe-to-toe with stuff (cernd = ****!)

11. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Do you not understand that the extra attack provided by Belm, is on your MAIN weapon. Using Belm in your off hand means you get to swing it once, PLUS you get an extra swing with your main weapon. Even if your target is immune to Belm itself (and "most" targets are not), the additional attack of the main hand weapon is very nice.

Kundane and Scarlet Ninja-to effectively also have this same feature.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, if someone has 17 DEX, can carry the bulkiest plate mail and cast ironskin without removing it then the person is quite well-suited to dual-wield. But still, I rather give her a staff or scimitar (or staff-mace) and shield. Some good staff that gives +2 AC (IIRC) isn't a bad idea and ultimately Ixil's Spear.

However, I must agree that dual-wielding some scimitars is indeed somewhat in-character.

13. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

probably stupidly, I always make her my dart thrower. :)

there are so many nice darts, and I've always found myself with hundreds of darts of stunning and wounding. Beyond just plain damage which my tanks deal out, both of them have little advantages that help out any combat.

When I run out of darts (though I always just sell off any plain +1 darts) I either use a +2 sling in SOA, or Crimson Dart/Fire tooth. Just me, but I prefer her to bring in troops and stay back. But with the range of darts, I wouldn't equip my mages with them because the sling gives THEM more range, and let's them stay back.

Jaheira can take some punishment if she has to and the pure numbers of creatures she can summon in any combat make her ideal for me.

once she can shapechange into a greater elemental, she becomes another Tank LOL.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Not in ToB. Once your attacks hit 3/2, you'll want a weapon in your offhand that will actually hit something. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have 5 attacks that hit, rather than 4 that do.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, really? I didn't know that! I always thought it was your off hand that got the extra attack. Can someone else confirm this? (Don't mean to doubt ya, Subra, I just never heard about this before :) )

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I like Jaheira in BG2. Given her lower than a normal fighter's HP, I like to have her using a shield -- a big one! Scimitars and darts for her. Sometimes I let her wield a staff, but that's just so she can summon fire elementals, air elementals or Shambling Mounds. When she gets into melee, she needs all the AC she can get.

17. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Jaheira does quite dual wielding. My favorite combinations, she can't use, but there are plenty of other good ones she CAN use.

Putting a big shield on her you can make her virtually unhittable until you get into ToB, but after ToB, your enemies have such a low thaco, your ac isn't very important.....they're going to hit you. You won't have the spec levels until later anyway, so keep her using the shield until you get the stars distrubited in the proper places but don't waste any more stars on the lame sword+shield style.

My favorite "powergamer" combinations....Imagine dual wielding a weapon like Axe of Unyielding with Belm or Kundane and you gain an extra attack with a weapon which can insta-kill. That is worth a lot. I particularly favor the Foebane + Kundane. Not insta-kill, but the effect on hit points is quite remarkable.

18. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Theres the short way to answer this, and the short way.

Staff of Ram > 99% of non magical enemies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.