1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Tha Races

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I was just thinking about this earlier because I wanted to see how people pick the races for their protagonists. Do people usually pick their races because of the beneficial stats that come with that race or just because of appearance wise? Which race is your preferred, or which do you use most often (because I know people have played this game ALOT of times!)

Btw if this poll has already been posted my bad! :D

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 47 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Tha Races (47 votes.)

Do people choose a particular race because of: (Choose 1)
    * Appearance - 26% (12)
    * Statistic Bonuses - 23% (11)
    * Class Choices/Restrictions - 51% (24)

Which race do people most commonly use throughout their BG trip? (Choose 1)
    * Human - 26% (12)
    * Elf - 32% (15)
    * Half Elf - 30% (14)
    * Halfling - 0% (0)
    * Dwarf - 4% (2)
    * Gnome - 4% (2)
    * Half Orc - 4% (2)

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I think classes allowed play a HUGE part for race selection. If you wanna play a monk, paladin or bard you don't have that much choices.

I personally love Half-elves! They are best of the two worlds, the grace and wisdom of elves and curiosity and creativity of humans. Plus they offer the best MC options, with some little elven abilities as well.

3. lwelyk Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I usually use elves for thieves, and spell-casters; humans for paladins, monks, and dual-classing; Half-Orcs for fighters; Half-elves for some multiclasses; and I don't use the other races.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^On the other hand, shorter races are the toughest since they get massive saving throw bonuses based on their CON.

A feeble elf will be smitten by a Beholder's Death ray, but a sturdy halfling will have more chance to survive! :shake:

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I choose a class first, then the race if there's a choice. Pallys, monks and sorcerers are restricted to humans. I think most people take elves, but that's imo. Half elves are okay for a multiclass, but tbh, I get sick of that avatar.

6. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I really love dwarves conceptually, shame you can play so few classes with them...

7. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It really depends on my mood and what I'm wanting to play. As well as if I want to do one of the romances or not. (Since their limited and I can't be bothered to download a mod to change that yet.)

Elves tend to be a big thing for me though because I like to play magic users alot.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I would have said "all of the above" for the first question, but I settled for appearance, thinking it would be the least chosen. Boy was I wrong. :shake:

And elves. Definitely elves. :love:

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I chose multiclass-reason, and I prefer half-elf for the same. But I must say it comes in waves, 'cause earlier I played dwarfs a lot. And I've had a period of humans. But right now it's half-elfs

10. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I can't actually vote 'cus my PC's playing up and won't open the window, but I mostly choose Elves or Half-Elves. Occasionally a Human if I want to be a monk paladin, dual class or whatever.

Aren't Half-Elf avatars the same as Elf avatars or am I reading this incorrectly?

[ April 17, 2006, 19:52: Message edited by: Imoen the Bhaalchild ]

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Me, I'm a Human or Half Elf man, mostly for appearance but usually because I play some sort of multiclass character. Humans for everything else! :D

Btw Moon Elf yeh they are.

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Which is true, based on PHB Half-elves are much alike to their elven ancestors, appearance like; though they can have facial hair and tend to be slightly taller.

Now if only game designers could make elf-like avatars/paperdolls with facial hair for half-elves, like the human mage avatar/paperdoll! That would be cool! Wouldn't it?

13. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I like either Elves for thier Dex, or Dwarves for thier Con. I think a vannilla dwarven fighter is a good first time character for someone new to the game.

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Not many people seem to like gnomes or halflings! People would probably expect others to take gnomes for thief/illusionists and halflings for thieves but I have NEVER seen someone do that ... ever. Save Jan.

15. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I have played halfling Fighter/thiefs, and they rock at that :) Never played a gnome though

16. Ariyn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My fighter/illusionist is a girly gnome with that little girl voice dressed in pink. ;)

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe I'm still convinced with my theory because of the poll results :p

But it's true isn't it? Most people will usually take a human, elf or variation of the two.

18. Ariyn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yeah, I'm not really surprised, either. I know I pick those races most often, though I do like to mix things up on occasion.

19. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

I play assassins a lot and they are the coolest looking as elves. therefore I chose apperance and elves.

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It is limited class selection for the small folk. Ah and halflings/gnomes look tad harmless. Not very appropriate for 'the' child of Bhaal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.