1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Short F/T or Berserker > Thief... which is more powerful?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm trying to create the more powerful of these two characters.

Is it a short (Dwarf, Gnome, or Halfling) multiclassed Fighter/Thief, or a Human Berserker 13 > Thief?

I picked the short race because I love the saving throw bonuses, but the Human gets a lot of immunities while Raging, as well as grandmastery (although I am NOT using any GM patches).

I am planning this character for a 2 person party (the other character is a Sorcerer), and have ToB installed (so I plan on racing through the levels quickly).

TIA

[ December 06, 2006, 23:42: Message edited by: Klorox ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Short F/T or Berserker > Theif... which is more powerful? (25 votes.)

Short F/T or Berserker > Theif... which is more powerful? (Choose 1)
    * Multiclassed Fighter/Thief - 72% (18)
    * Dualclassed Berserker 13>Thief - 28% (7)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fighter/thief.

For me, fighter HLA's are more valuable than berserker advantages. And GM without the GM patch isn't much better than specialized. Plus the racial bonuses are nice.

3. OTG Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Multiclass > dual class

If the character dual classes, it only gets access to the HLAs from the second class. If multiclass, it gets access to the HLAs from both classes (and seemingly more frequently).

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I'd vote multi-class. However, I'd suggest a slightly different dual-class: barbarian-thief (via Tweaks) is a pretty fun build.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I like the Berserker better if only for reliability, the immunities are awesome and with a small party they will be very useful.

On the other hand XPs won't be hard to come by and you'll get HLAs rather quickly.

The choice is between a MC Fighter Thief and a higher level Thief with immunities. So it's between GWW and Assassination. If you're going to use this character as a backstabber go with the DC if you want to use it as a sort of tank (with UAI and some traps) the MC is much better (although that point could be argued, but the rage won't last forever).

Don't forget that items and spells can help boost the number of attacks of this character.

Grandmastery +++++ may not look that good (minor advantages) but you can get +++ instead whereas the MC is limited to ++.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can solo the game with a sorcerer, so you can afford any choice for your second character.

7. ister Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The one place where GM is really useful is for a backstabber. Grand Mastery gets you +2 extra damage and +1 extra THACO relative to Specialization. That 10 extra points of damage when you have the x5 backstab multiplier. (Of course the THAC0 bonus is more than offset by the much higher fighter levels of the MC).

And the +2 to weapon speed makes a big difference for a backstab (whereas it hardly matters at all in any other situation). You really want weapon speed 0 for effective backstabbiness.

And assasination under improved haste is very cool. Even better than GW. That will also work better with the dual class.

That said I'd still take the MC. 2* in missiles is helpful, but ultimately GW and much better THAC0 make up for the lack of hit points and slightly inferior backstab.

EDIT: But I have to disagree with Carahadras. The dual class is the better tank. Even without the rage it still has a lot more hit points, and the point of a tank is to absorb enemy attacks, so the THAC0 is far less important than hit points. The MC does have much better saving throws, but the DC will be below 5 for saves very quickly, and I think that's adequate.

8. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Interesting points despite some contradiction due to the EDIT... It would actually mean that the DC would be a better backstabber (I don't think this is really debatable) AND a better tank (that point depends on the way you play IMHO because a Dwarf with uber CON can be awesome even if it is multi).

All in all if you don't mind losing Fighter HLAs, the DC gets some nice perks. With the MC you will always be in between, either choosing fighter or thief HLAs. That's a tough choice. Ultimately some people don't like DC because of the "inactive class" thing, I don't like MC because of the slow levelling up.

I can't imagine Klorox actually hesitating between a Dwarf and a Human. ;)

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Multi-classes tend to win out over dual-classes with enough EXP and I think this is the case here as well. With only 2 characters, you'll be reaching HLA's in no time and multiple GWW's wins out over a couple of Rages for me.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For ToB: multiclass.

11. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    For BG&TotSC: multiclass.
    For SoA: dualclass.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Trellheim: I think dual is more powerful in both BG1 and SoA. Especially BG1 -- *** in a weapon proficiency gives +3 to hit and +3 damage. A fighter dualled to thief is a great fighter and thief both (dual Shar Teel sometime).

It's the availability of both HLA's that make the multiclass more powerful in ToB.

13. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    You're right, if you don't export your character. My point was that when you import a BG character into BG2, it's better multi. Sure, in BG it's nice/powerful etc. but a lvl.2-4 fighter in SoA is just a joke.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If you are not using Grandmastery patches, then it doesn't make THAT big a difference if you have 2 pips or 5 in your weapon style of preference.

Having said that, multiclassed fighter/thieves get HLAs like Whirlwind Attack, Critical Strike etc which are way too cool to pass up.

I say go multi-class. You can always make up for Berserker immunities using equipment and/or buffs from the Sorcerer.

15. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Or you can give into temptation and SK a kit into the multiclass. ;)

16. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

It didn't take long, I went with the Dwarf F/T.

I don't cheat.

17. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I think you're a little confused over the definition of cheating. Its not part of the 'rules' that you can't have a kit in a multiclass, thats simply a limitation of the game engine.

...i suppose mods that add anything not included in the core game is cheating aswell? :rolleyes:

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I think it was me who first championed halfling paladins on these boards.
    I can hardly blame anyone for correcting a regrettable shortcoming in the way the game was conceived :holy:

A halfling barbarian-thief, kensai-thief or swashbuckler-fighter, stalker-druid, not to mention a dwarven barbarian-cleric, all are IMO great characters to play. They certainly do spice up the game after the x-th time through, and the kensai-thief, despite THACO bonus and backstabbing is somewhat difficult to play in the beginning. That he becomes so über-powerful in the end is just the reward for previous suffering. With the bonuses, you also inherit the limitations of the kit in the multiclass character as well, and progress slower. I limited myself to small weapons for halflings - the largest it got have been shortswords.

To answer the initial question: If you go to play into ToB a multi-classed character is always stronger than dual-classed one. And you are correct about the saving throw bonuses of the shorties. They are worth it. In ToB, eventually, my halfling cavalier was practically resistant to the dreaded mindflayer attacks.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.