1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What mods should I install?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hyperion, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Everything from PPG (and G3, and Black Wyrm) is WeiDU. And it doesn't matter when you install the Banterpack really, since it is content for the BioWare NPCs.

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Okay, I somehow got into my head it contained some Kelsey banter :rolleyes:

3. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Off topic again, but kuemper: Absolute Immunity's description says you need greater than +5 to get through. I remember that Crom Faeyr can't get through it, and it's +5.

4. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

OK, back to the game. I finished the Shadow Thieves' quest. And I am very disapointed of the mods instaled. They should've increased the dificulty of some battles. In my case, it lowered it.

@Silverstar: Yes, I did. A cowled one. The one from the Mae'Var quest. This should've been a tough fight, right? Wrong! It's been the easiest fight 'til now. The duergar from Irenicus' dungeon were harder, the random enconters were harder, the goblins are harder... He didn't bothered to cast a spell! Oh, he did. When he was near death he casted Symbol: Fear. 5 out of my 6 party members saved. He was just taking a walk through the room, sometimes he would've just stay in one place... He was receaving axe blows, sword blows and all that, and he nearly didn't move a finger. This was more of a fight before the mods.

Now... I took in my party Korgan, as a substitute for Minsc. After I finished the slavers' quest from Copper Coronet, I took Jan Jansen, as a substitute for Yoshimo and also Keldorn. I had to be careful in the sewers, however, because I encounterd a Beholder there, so I had to take a different route. I was to weak to face him.

So, when facing Mae'Var himself, my party was composed of me (SkyHigh, elven sorcerer), Priest (half-elven multi-clased Ranger/Cleric), Korgan, Keldorn, Jaheira and Jan Jansen.

The fight with Mae'Var turned to be very disapointing also. It's nothing to tell stories about it. Keep in mind that I had instaled the Improved Mae'Var mod (from Tactics). With this mod, Mae'Var surounded himself with several backstabing Assassins. What can I say... It was a joke. No reloads needed here. It happend something like this: Keldorn casted True Sight. And the fight here is kinda over. My party dealed with most of the assassins. When the True Sight spell expired, Keldorn casted another one. It was a matter of a round or two to finish the rest of the assassins. And Mae'Var was outnumbered, so he died. Quickly.

Now, I don't want to hear anyone saying this was cheesy, OK?
    And this is it. This is not an improved fight at all. Hopefully, the unpleasant surprises stop here.

I'll continue to post as I progress through the game and as I find the time to do so.

5. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hehe great thread here! I truly wonder if you faced the same Mea'var as I did, the bugger drove my 5-men lvl 10 party really really mad!

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Hey this is not right! Every mage from tactics have huge protection from (fire, cold, etc.) spells, armors, stoneskins, spel protections, AND minute meteors right when they start the battle (think they just pre-buffed), they have some triggers as well, Fireshield Red+Blue, Improved Invisibility on self, Remove Magic, Chaos, Chain Lightning on enemies. They also use cast+attack technique, they cast a spell and attack with melf's meteors at same round. They should prove to be tough, if you play in insane you will even have more random protections, aka Spell Immunities:Abjuration and Divination makes a caster immortal on top of other spells.

So didn't your rival mage do any of these? Or are you just too good? :confused:

You think Maevar was easy? Did you play on Easy Difficulty?

I had him in Insane Difficulty, he had lots of protection spells, plus spell Immunity:Divination which for some reason made him completely invisible, cleric summoned and buffed like crazy, and asasins did 100+ damage on a good back-stab=chunky, unresurractable death! LOAD!

Didn't Maevar cast a single spell? Weren't the assasins tough? I don't understand, maybe you should re-install tactics, or...

are you really that good? :eek:

I am envious! I spent 40+ minutes to beat Maevar, he always goes for unprotected targets, not stoneskinned ones, but to my poor, completely nude kensai and smashing him into very tiny pieces with his blow that even temples can not find a way to re-construct him. You can not even go back to other room for retreeat as long as the battle rages. So what I did? Left him in the upstairs,(kicked out of the party, thanks to EoU, he waited there and did not go forever) this was the only way to save him!!!

7. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@Silverstar:
    It did had all of those. Forgot to say I casted a Breach spell with SkyHigh before my warriors started to hack & slash him. :)

No, I play on Core. It's the pure AD&D. No more, no less.

:yot: Stop saying such things... I'm not as good as you think I am. As I said before, there are lots of better people than me on this forums, who finished the entire BG saga more than 20 times, everytime doing something new. Now, they are really that good. I'm more of a casual player.

Maybe you had such hard times because you played on Insane. I'm not that good...

More on this maybe tomorrow.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ok sorry if I irritated you, but judging from your posts I thought you really had a easy time beating Maevar whilst I was smitten countless times.

BUT, have you ever challenged a lich? Go to City Gates and try your luck! :evil:

If you have Improved Firkraag he will prove to be a most worhty foe too of that I am sure.

Have you noticed that even the weakest undead cast annoying spells like blindness, horror, larloch's minor drain etc. They hurt at these levels. Isn't that really cool?

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Susipaistli: You are wrong. Absolute Immunity gives protection up to (and including) +4. Crom Faeyr +5 does damage characters protected by AbsImm, but you may have been using Crom Faeyr +3 when your attacks were ineffective. Or the enemy was protected against Magical Weapons.
    We can never know though, too many mods are out there and they can mess up our games.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

No, I have heard from other guys here that only a few +6 weapons can bypass Absolute Imunity, as Melissan casts it always in Ascension battle or so I heard. Can someone really clarify this but we are getting offtopic again. Anyway, it is useful to spam this thread!

11. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Oh, bloody hell. I've already been through this Absolute Immunity thing with other people. The misunderstanding is probably caused by the manual, which wrongly states +5 is sufficient. It's not, and the spell description in the game says you need greater than +5. When battling Irenicus, the regular, unmodded Irenicus in pure SOA, I couldn't so much as scratch him with Crom Faeyr or the Staff of the Magi, when he was protected by AbsImm. That's what he casts right at the beginning of the battle, it's not PFMW. I also tested it with my own characters in TOB.

And by the way, there is no Crom Faeyr +3. I know the difference between CF and the regular Hammer of Thunderbolts.

Ok, people, move along, nothing to see here. Back on topic.

12. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

There is. Readers of this thread, especially any potential starter players, deserve precise information. (I think this help players to choose mods as well, as there are many mods out there or will be released which change spells, e.g. AbsImm as well -- Lost Crossroads :) )

It may be a misunderstanding, due to different game versions and many mods that are available.

Ascension is not standard BG2 ToB. I don't have Ascension, and Crom Faeyr seemed to hit Melissan in the final battle. I can imagine that in certain version of ToB +5 does get through AbsImm. Let's see two spell descriptions anyway:

Seems to be the (correct) ToB description:
    From official BG2 manual, as Susipaisti mentioned:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.