1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Giants

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Grondor Ironhelm, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Grondor Ironhelm Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Alright. I know for many people giants are not that tough, but they seem to be really kicking my butt at every turn, especially when there are about 7 of them in the room. In the marching mountains, i tried luring them outside but they wouldn't follow? Anyone have any good giant killing strategies?

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Fear based spells or wands worked for me. I found that the bigger versions of the giants were unaffeted but this usually had 5 out of 7 run off and then it was easy plain sailing.

Hope this helps.

3. Grondor Ironhelm Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks I'll definitely try it. We'll see what happens. Do you know if they are particularly affected by cold-based spells?

4. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There's a Warhammer of Giantkin or something which does loads of damage against giants. Can't remember where I got it from (ages ago in Shadows of Amn I think). Also I think Fire Giants are susceptible to cold and possibly water, so use things like that Spiked club of cold that you got from killing Gromnir. Also, If you have it, use the Wave Halberd, it does water damage.

For spells, try Ice Storm against a group of them.

[ September 21, 2002, 21:00: Message edited by: komei ]

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

The Warhammer of Giantkin is one of the items you find in the golem room in Nalia's Keep.

Don't forget defensive spells like defensive harmony, improved invisibility, stoneskin/ironskin, fireshield: blue, mirror image, Aura of Flaming Death, and so forth. All prove well against the giants.

6. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Use stuff like cone of cold and ice storm and even fire shield(Blue) and red(Combined) to hurt them nicely and also it seems that power word blind usse;efyes them completely!

Padeen Dragonblade!

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I just beat the heck out of them hard and fast, get three melee and three archers, that usually works for me and use arrows that are opposite slignment to them eg. Ice arrows V fire giants

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Sarevok's a good choice for this fight. Of course, he usually dies but takes out a few with him.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Edwin rocked those fire giants when i first used (discovered)Improved Alctricity (sp?) :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I just went there gather a bounch of them around me with some salamanders as well and then casted stoneskin, timestop, IA and all i had memorized ;) ;) It was so much fun :D :D

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Disintigrate works wonders. I have never had one of the regular fire giants fail a save. The elites usually do, but if you can knock it down to two elites, Time Stop + Horrid Wilting x 2 will take them down in a heartbeat.

11. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

In the wilderness, lead them to points that they cannot cross but you can (ie a bridge); inside, Time Stop and summon a whole mess of creatures while your characters pound them.

12. Hazel Gems: 1/31

I'll have to say- Time Stop, Imprisonment, Black Blade of Disaster, Disinigration/Disinigrate, and Spellstrike were the spells I used so often through-out the game, it's not even funny. If you have Time Stop and Imprisonment at hand (Er, if you're at the Fire Giants stage of the game, after Saradush, I doubt it, but hell, why not give it a shot?) cast Time Stop and proceed to cast Imprisonment on every giant you can. I seem to get about two or three Imprisonments in in the 30 seconds Time Stop gives. If you have the Flail of Ages at hand, my god- that's a wonderful weapon. Hand a two-handed sword to Minsc (and Boo!) and let him tear into the giants. Sarevok is good at that, too, being practically a GOD with a two-handed sword. If you have Black Blade of Disaster at hand, cast Time Stop and then if your mage has a decent amount of STR, tear into the giants. The Black Blade of Disaster level drains creatures by FOUR levels! How sweet is that?

Erm, I sound like a game-guide now. *peers at the book laid upon her desk* Eheh?

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Using a bridge and summoned creatures? In all honesty, I don't see summoned creatures doing a blasted thing to them. Just for test purposes, I did summon a pit fiend and had it take on giants. It died after getting hit three times.

I'm certain that what you mean is to use the summoned creatures to simply act as a distraction while the party pummels them with arrows, although if you are across a barrier that they can't cross, what's the point?

14. Lord Ogre Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I think the halberd "The Wave" is perfect against them, although I sold it in Suldannessellar, because I never encountered fire elementals or fire giants. Well, they are present in ToB, but it was to late then...

I think it will work good because in the description in says it slays fire elementals instantly and I believe it also says it slays firegiants instantly upon touch...

Otherwise it's just hack 'n slash... Cast improved haste and start hacking. Be sure to have some healing potions at hand... It's what they're for! It worked for me!

15. Confucious Gems: 1/31

lol..my way is truely evil...hit the group with Mass Evil Protection...then bring in the Pit Fiend. Have an archer with those arrows that kill instantly...and just remember..for the pit fiend...when it gets done..you might need a celestrial...or just gate the bastich..lol

16. StormCast Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well.. I'll have to say... if you got a mage/sorceror cast TS(timestop) an IA(improved alcatry) and just blast em with what you got(horrid wilting is especialy good). You should have acces to thease spells when you meat them.

With just fighters(ore like me: A solo Cavalier) its more difficult. use haste(You can find items that can give it to you), ore if you have high lvl abillites(You ougt'ha) use hardiness(1-3 of em per tank) and improved whirwelwind. Should get em down relativly easy. Fire resistance(Item or spell) is not to undererestimate here, and cold based wheapons is equaly good.

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31

A trip wire would work really nicely, shame you can't get one of those in BG2.

It's quite possible to have two chars immune to fire at this point if you made the right choices in SoA, so you could use them with the vorpal weapons to do quite a bit of damage as well. Giants have the habit of giving you lots of healing potions, so use them against them.

18. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Rastor, how did you manage to get one or two characters immune to fire? I must of missed something :confused:

On the subject of giants, I usually had my two tanks set up in flanking positions to protect the casters and archers.

I then cast AoE spells in the path of the giants (horrid wilting, meteor swarm are but two) to hurt them, so the tanks just have to finish them off. Meanwhile my archers pick off the stranglers, and heal the tanks.

19. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Cavalier + Fire Bonus in Hell + Ring of Fire Resistance + Helm of Defense = 100% Fire Resist.

Anybody + Fire Dragon Scale + Ring of Fire Control = 100% Fire Resist.

20. StormCast Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Rastor, when you put that up... the dragon helmet(give +25% res to fire,cold and elec.) wont give my cavalier resistence against fire, only cold and elec, Anyone else know of this bug?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.