1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Possible to solo Ascension with a monk?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by dooms11, Nov 6, 2005.

1. dooms11 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all new poster here,

Getting bored waiting for NwN2, so I dug up my old BG2 SoA+ToB and decided to give ascension a spin with a solo monk.

So do you think it's viable or am I setting myself for countless reloads and frustration?

I would like to mention that I am using an oversight mod which replaces monk old HLA's which he draws from fighter pool with new unique ones - as well as dungeon be gone mod (there is no way I am doing irenicus dungeon again!)

Some of the new abilites include reversal of resistance which makes monk's magic resistance function like physical resistance, also an ability to ignore timestop, imprisonment, disintergrate etc to cheese past leeches.

[ November 06, 2005, 17:40: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I haven't played with any mods :( but I have beaten the game with a monk going solo.

By the way, MONKS RULE!!!

3. Ballad Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've soloed Ascension with a Gnomish Wizardslayer so you should be fine (especially with all those cheesy abilities ;) ).

4. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

yea go for it, it wont be that hard

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yes, Balthazar fought by my side in Ascension, and used those uber HLAs, he rocked, kept bashing poor five in my own Time Stop! He was always Barely Injured and killed JonBon, Abazigal and many lesser foes. Still, if you have Oversight, care to play Improved Sendai? :D Prepare for a shock she is ''tough'' and I mean it.

BTW you skip Irenicus's Dungeon? Why don't you have tactics mode and Improved Ilych component? It makes the dungeon sooo fun! Try it! It is not boring at all! IMHO it is one of the most exciting parts of the entire game as you start out really weak and have to use up your brains!

Plus other components of Tactics and Improved Battles mods make the game anew, challenging one! AND for the better me thinks. OK?

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hehe, Sil, your a walking Tactics/oversight/Improved Battles commercial :shake:

This would actually be toughest in the starting phases of the game, but should be do-able with some careful planning. I say go for it! :thumb:

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well I can't help but reccommend them to everybody as these mods really made me love BG2! I can not think plain old BG2 without any mods at all now! I do not get any profit or credit from modmakers, mind you! :angel: (now that is AN idea! :shake: )

Anyway, yes the start of the game will be very hard and painful as monks start out very weak indeed. If you install Improved Ilych and SOLO with a monk, oh my, it will be damn impossible; but prove me wrong if you can?

But after some levels your monk will be pretty powerful, now with the help of those uber spiffy HLAs. Try it and tell us the results!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.