1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anomen: For or Against?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Drathir Darthirii, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Practically everyone I've asked and every website I've been on absolutely hates Anomen Delryn.I agree in some ways, but not others. Reasons I like him: 1 He is the only romancable character for a female PC. 2 He is very flexible in the sense that you can change his alignment and abilities. 3 He is a stong fighter with quite a few good priest spells. Does anybody agree with me, or does everyone except me hate poor Ano?

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

He bothered me a lot in my first game. I got very used to him and he is my cleric no matter who I romance. I like his capabilities - grand mastery - and that he's the second best clerical tank (that is Jaheira since she can keep leveling as a fighter). I've played through with both ends of his alignment.

His 12 Wisdom might seem a problem, but he can get those nifty, high-level spells as fast as Viconia (18 Wisdom). He just doesn't get extra spells. He's no more annoying than Jaheira (she acts like the PC's mom :p ), Jan Jansen, Nalia or Aerie.

Anomen is like a mold - he grows on you. ;) If you hate him from the start, you will always hate him, imo. If you were ho-hum about him, your attitude can flip-flop.

I like him. :grin:

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I don't quite hate him. He's a solid character (at least, once you get his WIS up) and can contribute a lot to a group. But he's not someone I'd take on a regular basis. His attitude grates on my nerves even more than Keldorn's, but I can handle it if need be. In fact, I've got a pally going through BG1 who I'll use to try out his romance. Maybe then I'll have a better appreciation of poor, little Anomen. :heh:

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I usualy take him along. His personality i take as an amusement. Pet righteus whiner :grin:

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I've always been somewhat ambivalent about Anomen - he's a good character from the point of being a buffable tank and healer, but his attitude can grate. With a male PC it's not too much of an issue: I like to think of my role as being in making him shape up. It's with a female PC that he's at his worst; his arrogant boasts can really get on my nerves.

Although I have come to see Anomen as a misunderstood character; insecure and conceited, yes, but as a product of his upbringing at the hands of his drunken, violent father you can forgive him for being something of a ****-up. Which is actually a pretty neat bit of characterisation by BioWare, if you think about it. ;)

Conclusion: I can't warm to the guy, but I can't hate him as vociferously as some SPers.

6. Rhyllian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'll be the first big meanie out of the gate and say that I don't like Anomen. (Hate is rather a strong word, and I'll keep that for the truly deserving, like Bodhi and Irenicus.) Yes, Anomen's a good cleric and a good tank, but though I respect his abilities, I still don't care much for him. There's something about that bragging, self-righteous personality that just grates at me; add that to a snippy soundset, and I'd rather just leave him to stew in the Copper Coronet.

As for his being the only romanceable NPC for a female PC, well... I'd sooner have had my character stay celibate, or played as a male PC than suffer through such a relationship for the whole game. (Years of limited console gaming gender options get a gal used to that.) Thankfully, there are other fish in Faerun. ;)

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As an NPC, I find him annoying. As a member of my party I find him to be quite effective in a fight - especially after he passes his trial and gets a respectable wisdom score. You just have to give him a try and see for yourself.

A very interesting party I would recommend is the following, especially if you like banter and romances:

Female Charname
    Minsc
    Anomen
    Kelsey
    Jan
    Whomever else you want (I would take Jahiera)

8. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

He is nice characer (although I find him being the worst cleric in the game, Aerie is the strongest classand Viccy is the only pure cleric and she has 18 WIS+she's hot) as long as he's not saying a word. Otherwise I can't stand him. I hate him from day one (his joining dialogue when talking to male character :mad: ) He was the reason I haven't played with a female character until I downloaded some Mods.

9. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I hate Anomen, his name and voice makes him sound like a queer. :)

10. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In my first run with Anomen, I used him as a pure cleric - in the back with a sling, healing people, turning undead. He didn't impress me then.

But after I tried using him in melee, he is pretty good. He can wear full plate, grandmaster in blunt weapons, and still fulfill his cleric duties. So now I don't mind him at all.

11. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Y'all should have made a poll. :p Yes, Anomen is annoying, but it's on the same level as the other characters. I think it's amusing how often I hear Anomen is annoying and grating - but Aerie is perfect, sweet, and wonderful. :bang:

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Anomen makes a good tank. He is the only Cleric who is good at the frontlines. Spells like the DUHM are not wasted on him. He can also GM in Flails and really beat the crap out of enemies since he gets multiple attacks per round. If you don't want to spend too much time with spells and want a Cleric who does not spen all the time at the rear end of the lines, Anomen is your only choice.

Plus, you can always throw Jan on him if he gets annoying. Nothing shuts up the idiot like the tale of 'Ano the HalfOrc' :lol:

13. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I sort of like his personality, in a way. Perhaps I'm too tolerable. :) He can be a good cleric too, with the 18 WIS as people has mentioned above.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    He's sick when he gets to high levels. But he's such a pain in the arse.

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If only he wasn't stupid enough to throw away his proficiencies as a fighter. A Human Fighter[7]/Cleric[8] with GM in Flails would be so much more useful.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If you give him GM or close, you can overcome his somewhat lower number of attacks per round. Priestly buffs give him some big edge and he can come to some awesome stats, as well as help bring more uberness to the party. He's somewhat amiable for some qualities, but has some others that achieve the opposite. I don't really hate him. Just gets on my nerves.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Exactly! :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.