1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the best way to get rid of these gauths?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mithrantir, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I'm playing the BG ToB for the second time (the first time i didn't finished due to a bug)and i'm experiencing a minor problem with the four gauth's in the unseeing eye's lair. The first time I had Anomen summon a pit fiend to wipe them out but this time he has not the required level to do that and despite all the strategies i used i can't kill them.PLEASE HELP ME.
    MY PARTY CONSIST's of:
    Mithrantir RANGER level 11
    Anomen Fighter/priest
    Jaheira Fighter/druid
    Valigar Stalker
    Nalia Thief/mage
    Aerie Mage/druid :confused:

[ March 05, 2003, 20:26: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Please make a search before posting any question.

You would find many posts concerning this problem.
    The solution:

Buy Shield of Balduran from Daedre (bonus merchant) in Adventuter's Mart. Have Anomen equip it and charge.

If you dont have bonus merchants you can download them from Sorcerer's Place.

Note that this is a bit cheesy :)

Oh, yeah... Aerie is mage/cleric not mage/druid ;)

3. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31

I'm sorry but I' didn't see any other topic speaking of mine problem. And can you tell me another way without cheating or decreasing the difficulty of the game for the battle
    :rolleyes:

4. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You don't need Pit Fiend to take them out, lower level summons can do it just as well. Have Jaheira summon some bears, if Nalia can - some elementals, I found them adequate enough to take out gauths. Aerie is too stupid for elemental summoning - they always go hostile on her, haha :)
    I think that minor spell turning works as well, but might be wrong. Most of the time I rely on either Balduran's shield or summoned critters.

5. Xyphys Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Only four of them? Just go melee, maybe summon everything you've got so the gauth concentrate their attacks on them first. I remembered fighting six beholders. I sent my best two fighters out there and fought them with melee weapons. Just be sure to retreat when they are nearly dead and heal them.

6. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31

I've tried the summonings of bears, fire elementals, monster summoning II, and the ******* still attack my characters. I've casted cloudkill I've summoned an aerial servant an invisible stalker, bears, fire elementals and all these managed to kill only one gauth before they die. One question what's so special about Balduran's shield;

7. Kenny42 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Shield of Balduran reflects Beholder (and Gauth) rays. As long as they don't use the normal spells some are capable of (Elder orbs have some nasty ones), you can go and make a cup of coffe while they destroy themselves. I just love doing that.

8. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Make sure that your party is out of the gauth line of sight. If there are any party members and summons in the line of sight, gauth will target your party member. Trick is - send ONLY summons toward them and sit far, far back. Send in a Wizard Eye to take control your summons as needed.

9. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

...or instead of sending in a Wizard's Eye, you can just drink a potion of invisibility or something like. Remember to not attack ;) ;)

10. Goldelf Gems: 1/31

get yourself a third mage (jan/edwin), stay out of there sight and cast 3 fireballs simultaniously. if one or two survive, there are weak enough for you to go melee.

11. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The first time I beat them I sent Yoshimo forward in stealth mode. He backstabbed one of the gauths and the others turned on him. Then all my mages rushed forward and pelted the gauths with fireballs and lightning bolts. Yoshimo died but it was a small price to pay for ridding myself of the gauth and no big setback because Jaheira resurrected him after the fight.

12. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I thought backstabbin' only was possbile on humanoids? Atleast for me, dunno, some bug mayby.
    Cast Spell Turning, go in with a mage or 2 and use Skull Trap. Works for me. Or just make one über-char with a prot. spells available and charge...might work.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think backstab works on gauths, but not on their bigger beholder cousins.

14. Vimes Gems: 1/31

Follow the three step program;
    1. Greater Malison
    2. Slow
    3. Cloudkill

Chuck a fireball or two if ya want.

15. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31

I want to thank you guys for all the help tonight i'm going on a hunt and if i'm succesfull tomorrow I'll close this topic with your permission of course. :happy:

16. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually I can't remember if the backstab worked or not but Yoshimo still managed to whack one of the gauths for a fair sum of HPs.

17. The_Darkness Gems: 1/31

wow if that is a problem for you prepare yourself for Demogorgon...... :D :cool:

18. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Don't laugh, first time through I also screwed up with those gauths. Somehow, the summon method worked for me brilliantly...

19. The_Darkness Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] i know that are strong im only tell him that Demorgongon is a beast that destroy all pcs in the party with a single word ..... :D :cool:

sorry for my english.... :D

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I hardly think he's gonna take on the Demogorgon, or WK for that matter, with a party level of 11 somehow.

Later, well I must confess I closed it off rather than kill him, so no trouble unless you want it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.