1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Improved Demogorgon.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Foradasthar, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Is there anyone here who has been able to beat him? With more than luck I mean.

I have a party of 4, myself (f/m/t), Tashia, Imoen and Sarevok. All near level 30. And I can't kill him. His regeneration is completely sick, and he seems to be immune against all magic, even the ones that offer no chance for resistance. Lower resistance, for example, has no effect. So All I can do is keep his magical defenses down with Tashia and Imoen's Improved Alactricity, while my main and Sarevok are hacking away with greater whirlwinds doing 20+ damage per hit and resulting in nothing. While he is hacking for some 50 points of damage per round/2 and dispelling all my protections once in a round. His minions are battling my planetars and Mordekainen's Swords.

I mean, the overpowering is rediculous. I'm expecting the end adversary is the same eh? Immune against all magic, even the ones the rules forbid immunity against? I've never cheated in this one before, save gotten a few items duplicated (yes, I've tried with double Robes of Vecna) for amusement's sake. But I don't think using that ctrl + y against a cheating adversary is wrong at all, in fact, that's exactly what I'm going to do the next time I sit by my comp and start to play ToB.

2. Ankalagon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You cant cheat to kill the Demogorgon.It wont work..If everything else fails,abuse the summons by using project image - something like 10 morde and 5-6 planetars would be ok..use the planetars to busy the mariliths and surround the demo with the mordys,they should be able to hit him..remember,this is a Prince of Demons we are talking about ;)

3. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

5-6 planetars???? :confused:

[ February 07, 2003, 08:59: Message edited by: Khelben ]

4. Riddley Walker Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Demogorgon is immune to Lower Resistance but you can still lower his magic resistance by using Pierce Magic (from one of the dozen or so wands you should have picked up in the keep).

5. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I thought the whole point of the "improved" Demogorgon was for those people who thought the original version was too weak and needed spicing up a bit. If you're not happy with it, just go back to the original.

This reminds me of all those people who moan about how the HOW mode in Icewind Dale II is just too hard. It's an optional component added by the designers because people requested it. You don't want it, don't use it.

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

dshadow:

What part of "Is there anyone here who has been able to beat him? With more than luck I mean." did you go and misunderstand?

Of *course* I dislike an enemy that is not hard because he's hard. But because he's cheating. But the entire point of this thread was to ask who has beaten the improved Demogorgon, and how. I'll probably take the Ascension's improved enemies away at some point anyway, as all of the "improvements" in AI and extra difficulty of opponents seem to involve cheating and extra-rediculous unrealistic power of the most common of the additional opponents. But that's a rant I'll save for a nother thread, should I need to.

7. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Your first problem is that you only have 4 people in your party. I suggest Haer'Dalis for improved bard song (imagine how much it would help, it boosts both your party and summons strength considerable) and one other of your choosing. I'm not sure what Tashia is (she is a mage correct?) but if she is not a cleric you need one in your party. Viconia is a good choice because of her magic resistance. Anomen is a better choice if you like melee combat.

Secondly, Demogorgon is practically a god - and, as such, he is immune to all but the strongest weapons. He requires +5 weapons to hit. Also spells of level 5 or below do not affect him. He has spell protections on him as well, and high level spells such as the warding whip, spell strike, and pierce magic are needed to lower his defenses. Lower Resist does not work because it is a level 5 spell. So it is not "cheating", as you said.

This may sound stupid, but make sure you have the proper gear equip. In tough battles like this every saving throw bonus, ac bonus, etc. makes a huge difference.

Don't complain about the difficulty. Demogorgon is, as I said, practically a god. On top of that he is an optional boss. He should be EXTREMELY difficult to defeat.

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The most overpowered cheat of the whole game with the most overpowered spell:

Mirror Image allows you to cast ANY spell other than further duplication or Tensers since you can't hit anything.

However it's not ruled by the summons limits, so your MI can summon as many planetars as you've got slots. Then kill off the MI, do it all again.

With my solo sorcerer, I think I could have had some 30 odd at least if I wanted them. I usually found that 4 or so was enough :lol: :grin:

[EDIT] There may be another limit (total) that kicks in at some point, but I can't remember it. [Edit]

[ February 07, 2003, 14:29: Message edited by: Viking ]

9. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] OMFG this is fatal,gotta try it......

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Viking - It's not mirror image, but PROJECT image, that allows the bypass of the one planetar rule. So does simulacrum, but you have the level reduction issue to deal with in your clone.

As long as you are implementing extreme cheese tactics, just lay a bunch of high level traps where he spawns after you have the conversation with him where he sends you out to tell the knights that you killed him. "Golly gee, didn't see you setting all of those traps MAINCHAR. Ooh, look, I stepped in them all. Oh wow -- I'm dead!" End of overpowered demon without striking a blow.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.