1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You Got Owned

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

For me it was when I was when I was fighting Fart-Face-McGee AKA Firkrag (or something like that) I sent my whole party to fight him without when Fire Resistence. I died in 10 seconds (how was i to know that he had some super fire thingy that can do 70+ damage without FR?).

BUt then there was Kangaxx. It was like Now you see them, now you don't

2. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The Demon Knights in the Underdark caused me to reload I don't know how many times. Their brutal combination of melee prowess, spell power and level draining seemed to be an insoluble problem. Even though my grasp of the game is much better than it used to be, those guys are still tough. The keys were learning that you have to save most of your buffs till after their Remove Magics go off, more summons, and learning what Bolt of Glory is for... ;)

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

The D'Arnise Keep: The room with the Umber Hulks got me real good!

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I usually knew what hit me, but if you ask for surprising events... well if you address the experimenting Irenicus in Spellhold without freeing the Cowled Wizards, you will die quickly (probably should be Rapture of the Father but I think they solved it with a Kill command or some similar effect). Wail of the Banshees can be surprising too, and Dragon's Breaths can be devastating as well.

As for mods: the only one I remember was my own The Grey Clan's recently released revision, when I was testing the battles for the first time. In the battle against the Tattooed Man, the Wind Horrors and Undead Knights plus the magically released tattooes -- my party lived only for a few moments. Same with the final battle: mass dominate, power word kill, bye-bye...

5. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Before I learned what a mod was, it would have to be Irenicus. Five-man charge straight into Time Stop + Wail of the Banshee + Power Word Kill. Good night, Irene.

Ascension's Tougher Yaga-Shura, Tougher Abazigal, and the finale are also murder (present tense - I still haven't mastered this game).

I second that!

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm not very good at overcoming challenges the first time through the game, so I got owned a lot. The fastest I died was probably against gauths and beholders. Bring the whole party to attack... slow, fear, death ray, disintigrate, flesh to stone, cause serious wounds... all dead.

Fastest character death was probably mind flayers. Stun, hit, hit, dead.

Chunkiest death from physical hits was probably because of golems, or Drizzt.

7. Schaf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

demogorgon
    it was kind of embarassing, but even after buffing my party (isam [elven assassin], korgan, sarevok, jaheira, viconia & edwin) up, he and his stupid naga-looking thingies (forgot the name, something with "m"?) ripped first my experienced frontline to shreds, then plunged on stoneskinned jaheira (i still don't know what was wrong with her creeping doom, but couldn't it have creeped faster?!), and tried something with viconia (who stood around happily, protected by energie blades or the like and sanctuary), wanted to smash up poor edwin (not a chance there, never try to mess with him cheerfully casting absolute immunity and all kind of other buffs available to him), and finally took on myself (which i hadn't counted on, me being a bhaal-spawn [and all that] superior to those puny demonlord). needless to say, power word: reload was (ab)used many a time... how i hate that hand-desintegrated-movie! :)

[ October 07, 2005, 10:33: Message edited by: Schaf ]

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Don't feel bad about that ;) first time I faced demogorgon I pissed my pans, died a couple of times, powerword: re-load, and sealed the darn thingi :lol:

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I forgot about beholders! The first time I fought one was the unseeing eye quest, only it wasn't a single beholder. It was the area in teh southwestern portion of the map were there are 2 or 3 beholders along with 2 or 3 gauths. It was also before I learned the wonders of the shield of cheese (i.e., Balduran's). Yes, that was quick and painful.

I actually lasted a lot longer against Demogorgon on my first attempt than I did with many other bosses. While my first attempt was unsuccessful, I think that my experience was such at that point that there was little that could have surprised me. I still contend I could have beaten him the first time I faced him if I had known he was immune to all spells below sixth level. Perhaps Imoen and Jan would have been doing something more useful than multiple casting of breach :doh:

10. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Last solo, with an elven FMT, various tomes and stuff from BGT/DSotSC/NTotSC/SoBH/etc., I visited the Improved Asylum. Um... I realized then how much the equipment makes a difference. What the hell are Noble Umber Hulks? They ate my stoneskins so fast, I barely had time to hit the pause button before I got chunked...

I guess before that it was probably Irenicus in the Asylum, unmodded. That was the first time I met the good ol' backstab in combat: Jahiera... CHUNK! Minsc... CHUNK! Imoen... CHUNK! Nalia... CHUNK! PC (fighter)... CHUNK! *sigh* The trauma!

11. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I second that - the whole party got downed in under a minute. :(

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

On my first run, practically everything owned me. Everywhere I went, life threatening situatons followed. Everything scared me and killed me. All undead, Dragons, Rakshashas, Golems, everything. Then I decided that I dont like spellcasting, restarted the game and a Kensai, took a mojor melee party and had few problems since.

Kangaxx really wasn't a problem since I already knew of the protection scrolls to be used/abused.

Unmodded a major pain in the ass was the Shadow Dragon. I didn't know that his breath weapon drained levels and the way he flung my warriors all over the place sucked. And on top of that I decided that Jan should try summoning one of those elemental types in the middle of the battle!
    Later on, my Kensai thanked Keldorn and his Dispel Magic.

Modded, it would be improved Maevar. Hell load of protections he has.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    De'Arnise hold trolls were surprisingly tough and forced me to use cheese (casting some clouds and closing the door) the first time through and probably not only the first one. Some random or partly scripted street encounters were tougher than many named enemies, even bosses.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My first battle with Kangaxx...I was a newbie running around with a lvl 12 party. I got the bones, let him out and waited for my reward of untold magical riches...and all I got was Imprisonment x 6!!! :grr:

For mods...Ritual Battle against that cheating slimy dragon and his golems! :grr:

15. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

For me it was the Twisted Rune fellas. It's always a tough fight for me, since I do that quest before doing Trademeet/Umar Hills/Windspear Hills.

I didn't finished the game with mods, so I'll say nothing about that one.

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Unmodded SoA: Johnny boy, the first time, at the Tree Of Life. Man, did he lay the smacketh down on me! He just ripped through me and my party like tin foil, and I couldn't damage the sucker. After that battle, I expected Hell Jon to be tougher still, but was somewhat disappointed as I whipped him like a government mule.

Kangaxx deserves a mention. As has been said, he's only got two tricks, but by God, they're good ones, and you're screwed without the right counters.

Unmodded ToB: Draconis. The first time, I was like, "What the **** just happened?" He vaporised Minsc and Valygar, then started kicking the crap out of my PC to boot.

I honestly don't think Demogorgon is that scary in an unmodded game. With the Ascension mod, that's a whole different story... Sure, he's mean, but he's not as scary as Draconis. With a quick pause after you beat him and exit the Keep, you can still trigger the Scroll and get the extra 80,000 quest XP for everybody after the 100,000 you all got from knocking him off.

Modded SoA: Improved Mae'Var was hard, but Improved Bodhi + Undead Solaufein was just nuts! My tactic for that battle: run like hell, wait upstairs for about three minutes, then go back down and face Mr Broken-Spell-Trigger-Of-Cheese and the Dark Mistress of Athkatla. Also, the Revenge Spiders battle was a bitch the first time... because the Harper assassins showed up about then as well.

Modded ToB: Ascension final battle. I haven't run into the Eclipse crew yet.

17. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The Eclipse fight was annoying. I never bothered with that ever again *rhe*

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. The first time I *ever* played through (unmodded, of course) I don't recall having big problems with anything (normal difficulty, main char a FMT elf). I actually thought the Spellhold Irenicus was easy-peasy.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@^: Yeah...just beat on him with your warriors with Imoen and your mage at the back casting Breach and voila! :D

19. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Spellhold Irenicus is easy. It's Tree of Life Irenicus who will kick you into the next county, at least the first time you play through (and the second and third times for me). Absolute Immunity? What the F?!

20. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

First time I played through, i had no idea what I was doing. So, I got pwned, owned, and destroyed in these places (although, these are not the only times i got ruined):

Kangaax the Demi-Lich: I fought him for a long time as a regular lich, and lemme tell you: when he died, and then popped back up as a floating head of death and wilted my crew to death, I nearly cried (well, not really, but you get the picture). I couldn't even hit him, let alone damage him...

Firkragg (or however you spell it): Damn his breath spells and his wing beatings. He knocked my guys out cold, then stomped on their unknowing bodies...

My first encounter with an Adamantium Golem did not go well. It took him all of three seconds to reduce Minsc, Viconia, Valygar, and my PC to dust.

[ October 13, 2005, 05:57: Message edited by: Saber ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.