1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric/Ranger

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Avelus Ev'gas, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey, I didn't knew there was such a great board here, but a freind told me, and I have a little question, I hope some of you can answer.

I just created af Cleric/ranger (Multi) I did make my way trough BG2 2 times before with af Fighter and a 5 others. Altso made my way trough BG1.

This time i want to play Solo (almost) But what can you say about a cleric/ranger, I just want youre oppenion.

Thx

I all new here so dont flame me if i did something wrong :p

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  3. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31

ohh im sorry to say but i have Tob installed, i tought the tob forum was for quests and items and stuff in tob, I hope your all forgive me and maybe admin can move my question.

DMC -thanks for your link

okay I think Im trying with my fighter/cleric

Half elf

STR 14
    DEX 14
    CON 17
    INT 4
    WIS 17
    CHR 10

Lawful god and my ranger is "specialized in Dragons"

Something I maybe should change

[ July 23, 2004, 20:50: Message edited by: Avelus Ev'gas ]

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Your low intelligence score will be very dangerous when you run into the mind flayers. A bit of game knowledge is that you can drop the charisma, so perhaps you should have done that in favour of intelligence.

Edit: Cleric/Ranger duh. Be ready with Chaotic Commands obviously, but other than that you should be alright.

[ July 24, 2004, 16:20: Message edited by: Sparhawk the Pandion ]

5. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31

Sparhawk - yeah yourre right I made a new cleric/ranger, after reading a lot of good advise and stuff in this exelent board.

New stats

Half-Elf
    chaotic good
    racial enemy - spider

STR - 17
    DEX - 15
    CON - 16
    INT -10
    WIS -14
    CHR -11

I didn't reroll once.

6. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Personally, I would have boosted Wisdom in exchange for a bit of a drop in CHA or DEX.
    and, not to nitpick or anything, but don't you think clerics wouldn't be chaotic good? I mean, are they going to break the law in providing healing services to the public or something? Neutral Good would probably have fit a bit better with that character, but it doens't really matter.
    also i don't think spiders are that much of a problem. I would have gone with vampires or golems or mind flayers.

7. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31

geoff - thanks, and that point with neutral good your right, but to late to fix now :( I took Spiders because i was reading a long topic in here about it an most of them sad spiders og skeleton :)

8. Algarion Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@ Geoff - He's playing a solo game so healing spells is at top a minor part of what the cleric is going to provide. Clerics are fare more than healing, great buffs, tremendous offensive spells and terrifying summons. Think of him as a force of good, determined to bring justice to the evil that plague this world. He believes that the cause will justify the means and therefore he doesn't care much about laws and other social norms.

@ Avelus Ev'gas - Skeletons would've been a far better choice than spiders. Not even the most vicious of sword spider resist the death spell. Download Shadow Keeper and edit whatever you want.

9. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

The racial enemy feat gives you some bonusses against certain groups of enemies (like +4 to hit and so on). You really do not need that against small creatures like skeletons or even skeleton warriors (which you should turn anyway as a cleric!). Take vampires or even better dragons, for once it's cool and you'll really see the improvement when fighting these.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

He is a soloing Cleric/Ranger so the Death Spell is probably not an option for him. :)

I agree that vampire is a better choice of racial enemy.

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

What about Demonic/Fell? You meet a lot of Demons throughout the game, in fact some of the biggest baddies are demon. Not sure what Fell are though? Would these be fiends or are they demons as well?

12. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31

hey again.

Thanks, But instead of soloing with the cleric/ranger, my friend came by and we picked a solo sorcerer instead (I will solo with my cleric/ranger later on)

And to Algarion, I will NEVER have a program called shadow keeper on my computer, i still dont get why people make theese programs ;)

13. Algarion Gems: 3/31

@ Earl - Some time since I used a cleric but doesn't they get the Death Spell at spell level six or seven? It's probably just my bad memory that's playing tricks on me.

@ Avelus Ev'gas - Good choice, a solo sorcerer will become a blast at higher levels. Just prepare for a really boring chapter 2 and 3 ;)

Why do you hate Shadow Keeper? SK is a wonderful program that lets you change all most anything you like. I like to try different kits and classes but since I don't like the lack of banters in created party I just use SK to change some of the excising NPC's. In the party I'm currently playing I'm using Kelsey for the first time. Since I didn't require two mages and I wanted to see what kind of relation Jan would have to Kelsey I turned him into a Assassin. I've grown tired of rangers so Minsc is a Barbarian. You can't really consider changes like that cheating! The only time I used SK to buff up my PC was when meeting with Faldorn (tactics installed), after 15 quick loads on the LOWEST difficulty she got a taste of my level 40 Avenger =D

14. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Nope.
    They have Finger of Death, which is a single target spells.
    The closest they have is Holy Word, but that only kills level 4 or less creatures and only of evil alignment (or good if you use Unholy Word).

15. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31

algorian - yes its cheating, i cant see why changing the game? when you made minsc to a barbarian the whole story changes.

16. Trouveur Gems: 1/31

Minsc acts far more like a barbarian than a ranger. By the way in IWG2 he is a barbarian/ranger multiclass.
    SK is useful for correcting some bugs too.

17. Algarion Gems: 3/31

@ Avelus - Do you consider it cheating to create your own characters just to be able to have booth a Kensai and Monk in the same party? The only thing I changed whith Minsc is his class. He still got the same stats and weapon profiencies. In what way does that change the whole story? Ok, people still refer to him as Minsc the Ranger but it can easily be ignored och just laughed at.

@ Trouveur - Totally agrees whith you on that point. If it werent for Boo and his self claimed status as frontier for the forces of good he would be a pure barbarian. He even got a "self-made" rage ability.

18. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31

okay okay, but i would never do that ;)

19. Algarion Gems: 3/31

Trust me, after completing the game more times than you have both fingers and toes you will long yearn for variation.

20. Avelus Ev'gas Gems: 1/31

algorian - nope NEVER you can't force me to use SK ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.