1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What makes the best tank, in your opinion?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, May 19, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

If you could make one super-tank, ow would you do it?

Try to keep the character completely legal according to the Baldur's Gate II rules.

Personally, my vote goes for the multiclassed Cleric/Ranger. DUHM and Stoneskin are great while dual-weilding the Flail of Ages and the Defender of Easthaven.

2. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Fighter/Mage (dual or multi):

- Stoneskin
    - Mirror Image
    - Blur
    - P.f.Magical Weapons

And many others buffs...

3. UCLAEnigma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Blade

3 stars Two-Weapon Prof.
    All the good buff mage spells:
    -Tensor's Trans.
    -Stoneskin
    -Mirror Image
    -Blur
    -Spirit Armor
    -Prof. from M. Weapons
    -Protection from Magical Energy
    -Protection from Elements
    -Improved Haste

The best special ability in the game:
    -Offensive Spin

Basically, you'll be a higher level fighter than the single class fighter, minus an attack or 2 (1/2 for specialization, 1/2 for fighter level 9 and 1/2 for fighter level 13?)

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Dwarven Fighter for Con bonus and save bonus. A tank is suppose to eat spells as well as physical attacks and making your saves makes everything hurt alot less.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Interesting choices everybody.

I.S.: Would you go straight Dwarf Fighter, or take a kit, or multiclass that guy?

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd probably go with the berserker kit, which, "legally" rules out many multi-class, simply for the immunity to the likes of imprision, maze and what not. A berserker with the properly functioning Azuredge is Kangaxx's worst nightmare. Also a bersker can ignore those annoying level drains when raging.

7. Sorun Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

From personal experience, I agree w/thetruth.

8. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I rekon a half orc beserker would do pretty well as the jump for the to hit and damage bonuses from, say 18/76 to 19 is pretty good. that, plus being able to stand up against most stunning effects as Ilmater's Suffereing said before

9. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

A dwarven berserker, hands down. IMO a tank should be able to tank every encounter without having to rest to regain spells. Yes magic can create a tough tank, but only for one or two encounters, a true tank can tank for an entire dungeon without resting (providing healing is available).

10. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Berserker/Cleric is my favorite tank. Berserk with chaotic commands and he is nearly unstoppable. It is also boringly good solo class.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Elf F/M

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed, best tank IMO is the one that can charge into battle any time, ripping trough enemies while laughing to their strikes.
    Either half orc berserker, or then the dwarven one. Those two have what it takes, althought monk can be a tank also at later levels.

13. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Wouldn't a dwarf Barbarian be better than a dwarf Bersker? Or do the Barbarian's not get quite the same resistances when they are in their own berserk state?

14. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Barbarians miss out on the berserker's immunity to imprisonment, so no soloing beholder lairs or Demi-Lichs. :p

15. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's actually an error in the description. Barbarian rage most certainly protects against imprisonment even in the unmodded game.

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Perhaps that's what the manual says, but the rages are nearly identical. I'd say a Human Berserker->Mage, though, for the buffing spells.

17. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The Barbarian's rage does not give immunity to imprisonment.And it's the only difference between the two rages.
    IIRC there is a mod though that makes them identical.But I don't remember the name.

18. starwalker Gems: 16/31

According to the thing that I have the Barbarian gets a temporary boost to strength. Which the Fighter Berserker doesn't get.

Testing it in my game it's roughly the same way. Though the Barbarian Rage in my game puts up it's own little icon as well as the mind shield icon when used.

But I haven't tried it against something with Imprisonment yet. If I can get my head into a game instead of RL I think I'll play a Barbarian though to try it.

19. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just checked the unmodded file. It protects from maze, but not imprisonment. This was a confirmed bug with David Gaider and is fixed by Baldurdash and also the upcoming G3 fixpack.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Can't really say but definitely something magical. I would probably go with Jaheira-style fighter/druid if you pressed me. Cleric/mages aren't bad if you get the spells right and enough time to cast everything, then you can outdo the fighter in melee combat without casting further spells, I believe.

Also, at high levels, fighter/clerics seem to have enormous advantage over fighters. Just think Heal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.