1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I need help with Saladrex

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hanamarannah, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Hanamarannah Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Looking for help with defeating Saladrex. Everyone seems to say he is easy - but I keep getting wiped out. What am I missing? Any stratgeies would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Who is Saladrex?

can you offer some more information, like who's in your party

3. Hanamarannah Gems: 1/31

Sorry about that! Saladrex is the Red Dragon in Watcher's Keep, the one with the Staff of the Ram.

Party is Imoen, Jaheira, Keldorn, Minsc, Nalia and me. All of us have been through SoA. I am a thief/fighter/mage.

Is that sufficient?

Thanks.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

prior to doing anything, resist fear on whole team (important!)

keep your weak characters (ie - low hit points) such as imoen and nalia away from saladrex cos his fireblast attack will kill them in one go, and you need the mages around to continually breach his defenses

attack with minsc, jaheira and keldorn - if you are a bit of a fighter, join in, otherwise keep dispelling his spell and combat protections - with so many spellcasters, you should be able to do sufficient damage with your fighters

5. AngelusDomini Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Step One: Summon Planetar
    Step Two: Cast Globe of Blades
    Step Three: Stay away from the Planetar, because he will get the attention of Saladrex for the extent of the battle.
    Step Four: Greater Whirlwind two fighters.
    Step Five: Stepping over the puree of dragon, get your nice staff and go home.

6. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The strategy that has been posted on numerous boards, including this one, that seems to work best for me is the following...

If you are low level, rely on summoned monsters to keep any dragon occupied. Summon them, move them to surround the dragon and attract his attention. Figure you are going to take wing buffet damage no matter what. BUT, by attacking with your tanks on one side, another on the other side and summoned monsters completing the circle, your spellcasters should (hopefully) be left alone to cast Breach, Remove Magic and/or Pierce MAgic.

Mid-level party - again summoned monsters can help. However, loading up Contingency, Sequencer and Spell Trigger type spells - or using wands as an alternative - can allow you to rush the dragon with your tanks. The key here is lowering the dragon's defenses and magic resistances quickly and surviving long enough to do some damage.

High level party - basically an extension of th emid-level party strategy, here, you load 1-2 casters with Spell Sequencers/Triggers with 1 Lower REsistance, 1-2 Pierce Magic and/or a Breach. You hit the dragon with two or three spellcasters doing this and you should have stripped him of his anti-magic weapon and anti-spell defenses so that he ought to be open to attacks by even gibberlings (assuming they can survive wing buffets).

Soounds simple right -- sure it is. Until you face what I call the 2-stage dragon fights - first in human form, then in dragon form!

I use variations of all of the above depending on party composition and whether I am playing BG1, BG2 or ToB.

Good luck.

7. mASSIVe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

standing right in front of him i casted on my pary: protection from evil 10' radius, chant, bless, resist fear, defensive harmony...

then my paladin and my fighter/cleric casted both draw upon holy might...berserker got enraged...

saladrex then attacked me...but...well...he died pretty fast...didn't cast any magic on the drangon or used greater whirlwind...

8. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

1) Piss him off.
    2) Time Stop.
    3) Spell trigger: 3x lower resistance
    4) Spell strike or Wharding Whip
    5) Greater Malison
    6) Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee, or any other insta-death spell.

Keep his attention on the tanks before and after the time stop.

[This message has been edited by Gonzago (edited August 22, 2001).]

9. Hanamarannah Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks y'all - sorted him out now. Used protection from fear and protection from fire, then the spell save wands. Main problem was with the weapons I was using. Had to have everyone fighting two-handed with the best weapons I had. Then he went down.

Thanks for the help/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.