1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Monk

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Bateluer, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I just finished SoA(with ToB installed) with my monk character, I like playing as a monk. Stunning blow and Quivering palm are very powerful when used properly. Quivering Palm has gotten me out of a lot of sticky situations :)

Unfortunately, I will not be able to continue very far in ToB with the monk, yet. :( Basic Training in the USAF. :)

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have once tried a monk. Ohmygod. I had played a nice fighter-thief before and when starting the monk I first thought both play pretty similar and I even liked the monk ... but after a while I changed my mind: I mean you can hide in shadow ... move silent - but can't backstab? You can detect traps but cannot disarm them for good XP? WTF! What a flimsy char a monk is, actually the worst of all thief kits ... :1eye: :p

:1eye:MONX SUUUUUX!!THIEFZ ROOOL.:1eye:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 02, 2002).]

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The monk is much better than a regular fighter anyday. And you don't need to find a good sword all the time, you don't need weapons or armour!

The monk isnt even a Kit.

And Ragusa? what happened to you?
    have you been Padine-ized?
    :1eye::angel::evil:

4. Ragusa

Media:
    no, just temporary insanity :1eye: , anyway, I favour any fighter-thief to a monk in BG-2 :p

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Ah, but the Monk would make short work of the Fighter/thief too. :p Quivering palm would drop you in one hit, fast movement will let me close the distance to you, and I have magic resistance, you do not :p

6. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Only when he can find the thief ... :p and due to effectively exploiting the xp gathered by disarming traps and opening locks the thief would level up faster :p

:p Ätschbätsch ... :p

And anyway: My dualcromwieldingcfury thief would beat up everything, EVERYTHING, EVERYTING :1eye: ... ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 02, 2002).]

7. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

Monks can hide too :p And the moment your hide check fails, the monk would pounce. The monk's attacks are just iron weapons, enchanted iron weapons, not that I need them with quivering palm :p

Also, the 400 to 950 xp you get from disarming traps/picking locks, is meaningless in the great scheme. I an just rest in the wood, get 'jumped' and get several times the xp. :p

Only use I have for theives are their trap setting/disarming/ and their lock picking abilities.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] MUAHUAHUA, meaningless??! In what grand scheme? you mean the xp gained by disarming 50 traps @ 950xp is neglectable? Well, maybe you're right, just 47500 xp ... :p :p

9. Errol Gems: 23/31

Which you would Knock.
    Face it Ragusa, everything your Fighter/Thief can do, other classes could do better!

10. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] no, never, never, never, never, never, NEVER, NEVER !!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

11. Errol Gems: 23/31

If you just think about it though Ragusa.

A mage can Knock any lock open.
    They can also do Improved Invisibility.
    Priests can Detect Traps better and faster than you.
    Jan can Detect Illusions better.
    Any priest/Mage can set a Glyph of .... to best your traps.
    A bard can easily Pick Pockets better.

And there are even better looking Avatars than your thief!!!! :grin:

So face it, your thief is...
    useless!
    USELESS i tell you!
    USELEEEESSS!!!!

[This message has been edited by Gopher (edited June 02, 2002).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.