1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Defeating Draconis

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by God of Thunder, Jun 20, 2003.

1. God of Thunder Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Sorry to trouble you dudes, but I just can't kill this guy!!! I got no problem with him in human form, but as soon as he turns into a Dragon then he literally drags me across the floor like a mop! Does anyone have any tips or methods to kill him please? Cheers!

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Is this one of the dragons where you can plant a lot of traps around him before you attack him? If so thats always an easy way to beat a dragon. Have your theif plant all the traps you can around Draconis before he attacks you. Once he becomes hostile... Bang Bang Bang... he's dead.

Please remind me, is Draconis the father or son?

3. God of Thunder Gems: 1/31

He's the son matey....i don't know if i will be able to plant traps as he's a lively so and so who keeps dissapearing and re-appearing!

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Get a mage or someone who can cast true sight. This will stop him disappearing and reveal all the invisable stalker things he summons. Summon a few of those swoards (can't remember the spell name sorry) they help destroy the invisable stalkers. You probably need a few lower resistances on the dragon himself. Other than that. Just charge at the dragon. Ignor the invisable stalkers because they come back so fast it's just stupid.

Hope this helps. Good luck :thumb:

If you need any more help, the walk throughs here at SP give a few good tips I think.

5. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

hm
    1. before battle, cast spells like haste, mass invisibility, draw upon holy might etc on you.
    2. in battle watch if he is casting stoneskin or protection from magical weapons. if he does, cast breach on him
    3. lower his magical resistance, cast greater malison and try finger of death etc.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

IMO, Draconis is the hardest fight in the game, so all kind of CHEEZ is allowed ;)

The formula to beat him:

Summon 5 cretins with lotsa HP.
    Equip your characters with ranged weapons, don't use any spells (except for Minute Meteors).
    Meet Draconis, let the summons do their job and hammer him from distance. When his HP gets low, retreat, plant traps and otherwise prepare.

Draconis shifts form, kills your minions, and throws back all your characters that were too close.
    Time Stop, Imp.Alac, 5 summons, lower res, whatever-you-want (at the end of the spell, cast death spell to kill those stalkers).
    Retreat, send one of the summons to meet the dragon.
    Draconis casts death spell, dispell, and otherwise becomes nasty. Stay away.
    Send the rest of your summons forth. They get whacked. If Draconis comes for you, cast time stop, summon something, and become nastier :p

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What you need is casual buffs like improved invisibility, armour of faith, stoneskin, ironskin, barkskin on whomever possible, mirror image etc on mages - in short, everything that will delay receiving damage. Now you need to lower his resistance (+/- 4 casts for total removal) and you have him totally subject to your spells. Cast doom/bane or him to lower his rolls by 2 and you're ready to start casting. Ray of enfeeblement will bring his trength to 3, feeblemind will make him stand stupefied while you beat him with whatever you have, chromatic orb might even kill him etc etc. Timestop is a good idea to lower his resistance quickly, especially with two mages: if one mage throws 3 lower resistance casts at him, the other mage casts only one lower resistance and two feebleminds. You could also have your clerics, druids, rangers, paladins etc all cast doom/bane before the second mage goes in. At least one will work if the dragon's resistance is down to 25%.

Another possibility, which could also enrich the above mentioned tactic, is mordenkainen's swords. Those are totally immune to everything except plain physical damage or spells that kill summoned creatures (it's important to move one sword forward before the rest of them attacks to check this).

However, if you have his resistance and throws nicely fixed, even web and clouds will work on him. Two mages give two webs, two cloudkills and two killing fogs of which all can be renewed. You need to be a towney to survive such a concentration of bad air ;)

Edit: Also think about weapon effects: celestial fury - stunning, Flail of Ages - slow, Carsomyr - dispel, Replicant - AC +2, magic resistance - 15% (IIRC). Ah, if you manage to hit him a few times with replicant, your mages will be able to start casting spells on him earlier and his AC will be so low that your characters will easily hit him.

8. God of Thunder Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Cheers dudes!!!! Hopefully that'll finally get me past the little bugger!!! Thanks for your help!

9. Bang Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I can't believe that all this advices don't include the most essential spell, which is a absolutely must when fighting Draconis: Protection from Acid! His acid breath is it, what makes him so dangerous. So let your mages cast a couple of that spell.

10. pbryant Gems: 1/31

Potection from Aci dmay or may not a biggy. Sure, he can do a lot fo damage, but most poepe have an insane number of hit points for their tanks, so if you keep your casters well back, its not a problem. The Wing Buffet dragons have is more annoying.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Whats more annoying about Draconis is the fact that its hard to actually pin him down to deliver some damage with your tanks. You might get a hit or 2, but then he disapears, moves, summons stalkers and heals himself. Is very vexing and your party ends up scattered if your not careful.

A tricky fight... best down with a timestop and Planetar and various other monster summons, they will wander around killing stalkers and can also help to track Draconis down when he goes AWOL.

Just keep chucking defences and enhances on, and breech/dispel his defences ASAP, its essential that your tanks get hitting, once the defences are down, have your tanks cast Greater Whirlwind and down he goes ;)

12. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Doesnt Draconis cast non detection? You cant use true sight to catch him half the time, and he randomly goes invisible. Basically this is a really hard fight. If you have a sorc with vecna you can beat him in his dragon form though. Heres what you do. Kill him in human form. Now use ure sorc and drink potion of insight. Cast wish and pick time stop double duration and improved altric. Keep reloading till you get this option. Next cast 5 lower resistances, then recast time stop and improved altric. Now comes the best part. Magic missle has a 0 spell duration, and with improved altric you can unload all of your mm's (round 6-8 depending on items) in 0-1 seconds game time. Next unload 2 abis, recast time stop plus improved altric. This your last time during time stop. Now cast ure other abis if you can, or try power word blind. Finally if you still have time left unload some skull traps. This should altogether do around 250 damage. He'll be very close to dead. Quickly switch over amulet of power (lowers casting time) to ure other mage (you have 2 right? If not you should.) Cast time stop, improved altric and again as many direct damage magic damage spells you have. Chromatic, magic missle, etc. If you do this properly Draconis will die after you second mages time stop. Your guys should take no damage during this fight, and draconis should have no more than about 10 seconds to do anything during this fight.

All those people that recommended instant death spells you should not listen too! You will get yourself killed trying to instant kill an opponent with a DEATH WARD.

13. The Transendent One Gems: 1/31

O.K. peoples here's the works, I have tryed to kill this guy like 15 times... dosn't mean I didn't cause I finaly did.
    Any way That was the ticket for me and Woot! i'm having dragon tonight!
    P.S. I don't know what you guys are talking about but this guys a push-over compared to the big dragon/human boss guy(sorry can't remember his name)
    P.S. (agin) im i alone on p.s. above?

14. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I wonder how well spell immunity:illusion will work against him?

15. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The simple solution? get a high level Sorcerer buff him to the max kill his human form, Alacricity/Timestop (Alacricity BEFORE timestop) lower all his resistance Malison him breach/Dispel/pierce magic and whatever else, Timestop go right up to him (so you stand next to him) and Finger of death, and empty your entire spell bookof offensive spells (MM, Skulltrap, Fireball, Cone of cold, Sunfire) and then Abi Dalzims x3, Timestop and another x3 Abi Dalzims.

In truth you probably only need half of all that but much less and ther are no guaruntees it will work.

16. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Spell immunity illusion wont do anything against him. Anyway im glad someone listened to me, in tob dragons are a pushover with mages or sorcerers who have vecna. Watch out for draconis hes probably the toughest unmodded fight in the game.

17. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In SoA Firekraag and Nizardal-whatever-his-name-is, are pushovers for a level 11-13 party with at least 3 melee fighters OMG!!! ToB is not much better considering your higher level.

18. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    What makes Draconis so hard is that he uses his brain - if I were a Dragon and I see a level 34 fighter coming at me with Greater Whirlwind and Smite I would likewise try to make myself scarce - and use Dragon's Breath on the magic-users whenever I get the chance.
    To kill him "farily", you can either
    a) Wear him down
    b) Bombard him with Lower Resist and Offensive Spells.
    Don't use cheese - use tactics. With a 6-member party, it's a matter of outsmarting the other. (careful though... he's trickier than he seems)

Ironically in one of my games, it was this spell which killed Draconis. This spell is also dependable for the damage it is able to do should the opponent succeed his save. Viconia tossed him an FoD via the offensive spellcaster script when Drac was in near death.
    He made his save alright, and died.

[ December 22, 2003, 09:48: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Horrid wilting would help in this situation to. Elimnates the Stalkers and might damage Draconis.

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You could also try this if you have a mage heavy party...well, I was soloing a Sorc, so this is what I did for him.

Make a Spell Trigger with a true sight and two Lower Resistances.
    Make a Spell Sequencer with a Greater Malison, and two Spooks.
    Have a Chain Contingency with three Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings and set that to See Enemy.

You should be invisible thanks to Staff of the Magi, works even if he sees you but still...

The three ADHW should have hit him in human form, and he should change to dragon form.

Round 1: Cast Time Stop, Improved Alacrity. hit him with the Spell Sequencer, Spell Trigger, then unload all your Fingers of Death, Delayed Blast Fireballs, Power Word:Blind (for reduced saves which stack with Greater Malison), and then unload your five to six Magic Missiles on him.

Tip: Go to the options and set Autopause on for the event, Spell Cast.

Nothing can survive that...Draconis, Nizdramawatchamacallit, Irenicus, Mellissan, NO ONE!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.