1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Least favorite NPC's

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hey, Raz gave me a great idea! Anyone who have been on these boards more than a couple of months knows about my penchant for posting polls, and I had one over the summer that was a tournament to annoint the site's favorite NPC (Imoen won BTW).

Now, based on Raz's post, we could have a tournament of least favorite NPC. Same rules as the favorite poll. We aren't asking who you think would win a fight between the characters, this is a popularity poll that is based strictly on personal preference.

Just like last time, I'll break down the NPC's into four groups as follows:

Group 1: Mages/Thieves - Imoen, Jan, Nalia, Edwin
    Group 2: Druids/Rangers - Jaheira, Cernd, Valygar, Minsc
    Group 3: Fighter-types - Mazzy, Keldorn, Sarevok, Korgan
    Group 4: Clerics/Misfits - Aerie, Haer Dalis', Viconia, Anomen

We'll have a single elimination tournament and then, after the group winners are decided, we'll pit the group winners against each other, until a least favorite NPC is crowned. (A rather dubious accomplishment.) Remember, your checking the character you like the LEAST.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 8 question(s). 50 user(s) have voted.
    Voting stops at December 17, 2003 19:20 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Least favorite NPC's (50 votes.)

Imoen or Jan (Choose 1)
    * Imoen - 44% (22)
    * Jan - 56% (28)

Nalia or Edwin (Choose 1)
    * Nalia - 62% (31)
    * Edwin - 38% (19)

Jaheira or Cernd (Choose 1)
    * Jaheira - 26% (13)
    * Cernd - 74% (37)

Minsc or Valygar (Choose 1)
    * Minsc - 32% (16)
    * Valygar - 68% (34)

Mazzy or Keldorn (Choose 1)
    * Mazzy - 58% (29)
    * Keldorn - 42% (21)

Sarevok or Korgan (Choose 1)
    * Sarevok - 38% (19)
    * Korgan - 62% (31)

Haer Dalis' or Aerie (Choose 1)
    * Haer Dalis' - 54% (27)
    * Aerie - 46% (23)

Viconia or Anomen (Choose 1)
    * Viconia - 28% (14)
    * Anomen - 72% (36)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dude...the first step to getting better is to admit you have a problem. ;) :p :roll:

But I'll play. Nalia, Cernd, Mazzy, Anomen, respectively.

3. Shebali Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Pretty easy.
    Imoen, Nalia, Jaheira, Minsc, Mazzy, Korgan, Aerie and Anomen. Though choosing between Jan and Imoen is a bit tricky. But since I like traps...
    Oops, did exactly what I shouldn't have done... Anyways, these are the ones I like the least if I have to choose this way.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jan, Cernd, Aerie.

On group 3, I picked Sarevok since I have no idea what he's like, and he's not anvailable in SoA. (Maybe he would be a better choice if this poll was in the ToB forum?)

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Where's Yoshi?

I found it difficult to vote though. I might do it later after reading through some of them and debating with myself :p

I've voted.

Can't remember what I voted though, Think it was Jan, Nalia, Cernd, Korgan (I really don't like Korgan) H'D (they prefer Aerie), Keldorn.. and... er... another one... or two.

[ December 10, 2003, 20:44: Message edited by: 8people ]

6. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Jan
    Nalia
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Korgan
    Haer'Dalis
    Viconia

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Splunge - I though I did post it in the ToB forum. Regardless, it's there now.

@ 8people - no Yoshi because that makes 17 NPC's which makes it not so easy for a single elimination tournament (16 being a factor of 2 is so much easier). Plus, he's not in most of the game...

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jan irritates me to no end.

Minsc is a simpleton, albeit it a nice simpleton.

I don't particularly care for either Nalia or Edwin, but I decided in favour of Edwin.

Keldorn's da man, so I picked Mazzy.

Aerie's just plain whiny.

Korgan instead of Sarevok, don't know why really. They're qualitively the same in many, but not all respects.

And you don't expect ME to select Jaheira do you?

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Oh man those are some tough tough pairings. Pretty much every question was equal to me - except the Cernd question because I've already decided to hate him the most.

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Jan, because Imoen is important to the story line

Nalia, because she annoys me

Cernd, I just like the fighter in Jaheria more

Valygar, because Minsc is the man

Sarevok, because he just comes to late in the game, plus Korgan is just cooler

Mazzy, because Keldorn is a tank, through and through

Haer'Dalis, because I never know what to do with him, whereas Aerie is always in the back flinging stones and spells

Anomen, just because he gets on my nerves

[ December 11, 2003, 10:12: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Jan - Immy's so cute and she's your sister
    Edwin - He's kind of a bastard
    Jaheira - this was a real tough choice. It took me about 5 minutes to pick. I only took Cernd over Lady Jah because he's one of my favorite NPC's.
    Minsc - Another tough choice. Valygar has a nicer voice and you might actually be able to have a conversation with him. Minsc is infallible though, so that's good.
    Keldorn - Keldorn's far more powerful and wise and basically better, but she's inspiring. She's a lady halfling who want to be a paladin and is so honourbound she can't see straight.
    Korgan - Sarevok's cooler and the evil party needs someone to use Soul Reaver.
    Aerie - Why was this coupled with Haer'Dalis? Anyway Haer'Dalis is pretty cool, not to mention pretty powerful. His meloncholy and poetic rhetoric is great to listen to.
    Anomen - This is not even a choice for me. Annoymen can stay in the CC for all I care.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Imoen "sticks with you no matter what" (what a cool sibling!) and Jan is the most boring character in the game, so that was pretty easy.

Edwin is hilarious, Nalia has nothing on the Edster.

Jaheira's got to go. Cernd with the ease of use mod is just phenomenal.

Valygar is way too boring. Minsc stays.

I hate Keldorn. He is my least favourite character in *any* PC game. Boo. Hiss. I love Mazzy, her accent rules.

Now Sarevok vs Korgan was tough. But Sarevok is simply the man when it comes down to the crunch. Korgan's got to go.

Aerie vs Haer'dalis was another toughie. Both are capabable of becoming supremely powerful. Aerie does not make the cut, however, because of her whining.

Anomen... uh... no thanks, next please.

13. Elemental DarkLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ooops, i vote my favorites in the Poll instead of least :p

Anyways Here goes; My least Favorite NPC's

Jan, simply because Imoen is part of the storyline.

Cernd, Because Jaheira just make it all the way

Nalia, she should not be compared to Edwin's mage skills.

Korgan, He can't compete with Sarevoks fighting skills

Valygar, Because i love boo :)

Anomen, because Viconia is sexy

Aerie, she's no way can equal Haer Dalis considering that Haer Dalis is one of the strongest NPC in the game.

14. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I can't belive Korgan's beating Sarevok and that stuck up hypocritic noble is beating Edwin, wait on secind thought ignore what I just said I have no real expiriance with any of them, goddamnit I just made myself look like an idiot. I bet if Imoen got the dialogs from the Imoen romance Mod as part of the actual SoA Game, romance dialog excluded that she would beat Jan easy! If you do not have the imoen romance downloaded then DOWNLOAD IT NOW GODDAMNIT :roll:

Edit: I only just noticed that all the people that voted for Jan are not saying anything about it unlike the people who voted for Imoen, so to me that mean's they just don't like Imoen or they are too embarrased to speak out, so come on Jan fans let's hear it ;)

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Found some choices very difficult. I voted according to personality not usefulness. I can't stand Anomen and only took him very briefly in one old game. Minsc & Valgar-I like Minsc but am in love with Valygar. So far I've always taken Imoen when she turns up but don't like her. Except for Valygar, I find the "bad" guys more interesting. I like to help people but don't care for do-gooders or whiners. Shouldn't be an adventurer if you're going to whine. Do-gooders always know what's right for you better than you do.

16. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Nice poll, but few of those questions were quite hard.

Since I don't know Jan at all, I couldn't be absolutely sure 'bout him. I chose Imoen cause I don't like her whining.
    Worlds best mage with absolutely outstanding comments vs. worlds most annoying *****. Definitely my vote goes to Nalia.
    Don't know Cernd that well, but Jaheira's attitude is so bossy I don't like her at all.
    The next one was hard. I like both Minsc and Valygar, but Minsc is hilarious I'll have to cast my vote on Valygar. Sorry Val. :'(
    Keldorn vs. Mazzy.. Again a hard one. I don't like the way Mazzy treats Valygar, so I have to pick her.
    Korgan is nice, Sarevok I don't know, so I chose Sarevok.
    I don't like the way Haer'Dalis calls me raven, and Aerie's a cute one. I'll choose H'D.
    Viconia is ok, and Anomen... He's soooo annoying, and just when you're ready to forget how annoying he is, he attacks you (after failing his initiation ceremony). Damn that guy.

I don't understand how Jan and Imoen were teamed up. I would have gone with these pairings: Edwin/Jan and Imoen/Nalia. But it's not my poll, so I'm happy with the way it is right now.

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Methinks you should have put the more obvious disliked with the more obviously liked. Korgan and Sarevok was the hardest vote for me, I find them both to be really cool NPCs, I have great respect for Sarevok and Korgan is funny as hell (in a sadistic, eat drow babies kind of way).

WHERE WAS YOSHI? Then again I can't see him winning this competition, he's rather liked despite his unfortunate circumstance.

Anyway, my choices.

Imoen, she's cute but Jan's nuttier and who said he was the most boring character in the game? Obviously you need a Jan Jansen Flasher Bruiser Mate up the nether regions.

Nalia, she's a stuck up and more holier-than-thou than Keldorn and Mazzy combined! Trying to help the poor is nice but throwing gold at them won't help. Minsc has the right idea with that, give a man a sword, let him chow down on the meaty carcus that is evil. Edwin rocks, sure he's arrogant but the guy's a play-YAR and could kick El.s ass anyday.

Cernd, yet only just. I can't stand his little examples from nature 'must bend like the bamboo' etc. while Jaheira doesn't spout hair.

Valygar and his constant *****ing about magic being evil, the guy can't understand that it's a tool. Besides, I take it Boo comes with the Minsc package?

Mazzy, always being oh-so polite gets annoying, she's a runt and should have been a thief. Keldorn gets my respect for being honor bound yet he does have a fun side that comes out with Yoshimo and Haer'Dalis.

Korgan, as explained before he's nutty but I respect Sarevok more.

Aeire. No contest. She's whines alot while Haer'Dalis is cheering everybody up, and he catches on to Yoshimo before anyone suspsects a thing.

Anomen. The guy's a plonker! You have to literally throw your self-respect away when you romance him when you're playing a female. Viccy plays hard to get and requires tact and planning.

18. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Why is it that nearly everyone I vote for has a tendency to be losing?
    Is that just my strange choices, or is everyone else wrong?

Well I voted for:
    Jan
    Edwin
    Cernd
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Korgan
    Haer Dalis'
    and Viconia.

No real reason, I just prefer the other NPC more.

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Aerie, I cannot stand her, her whining bugs me, who wants to romance an NCP that is deformed and if not then there are better magic users then Aerie, then Cernd being the second least favourite NCP because his class is my least favourite in the game. ;x Sure I already posted on a topic like this yesterday but my post disappeared. All the other NCP's are great though.

Well i voted

Jan
    Nalia
    Cernd
    Minsc
    Mazzy
    Korgan
    Aerie
    Anomen

20. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There are very few characters in the game that I dislike. For the large part, I like all of them. For the sake of the poll, however, one must choose one over the other. Here is mine:

Imoen - so she's part of the story line. Big deal. That doesn't mean I have to like her nor does it mean that I have to keep her once rescued. Jan is better, Jan is funnier, and of the two, the more useful.

Edwin - other than his stint as Edwina, I didn't particularly care for him. He just didn't fit well into any of my parties. His usefulness is excruciatingly limited, short of his spells. Nalia, on the other hand, is far more versatile with respect to weapons and spells.

Cernd - but just barely. I like both druids a lot and there is not a game that I can recall where at least one of them wasn't involved. In a more recent game, I brought both along and that was something. Anyway my only reason for selecting Cernd was due to his armor restriction -- meaning he can't wear any. This was not an easy choice.

Valygar - I've just never liked him. Brooding all the time, his "magic should be eradicated" blah blah and the like wore on me quickly. I didn't find him particularly useful the few times I tried to bring him along. Maybe it was party composition but to be honest, the only thing I have found him useful for is to gain the planar sphere -- and he doesn't need to be alive for that, which is fine by me. Simply put, Minsc rules.

Mazzy - wasn't an easy one either. I like both for what they are and what they can do. This basically came down to a coin toss and the halfling lost.

Korgan - once was enough to convince me that I didn't like him. This could also be somewhat biased as I've never been particularly fond of dwarves, even from my PnP days. Sarevok, without question, is the fighter.

Aerie - another tough one. Her ability to cast both divine and arcane spells makes her extremely useful, but I like for my characters to also be able to defend themselves -- which she can do, but she puts herself at great risk in doing so. She has to rely on everyone else to protect her. Haer'Dalis is incredible with swords, incredible with spells, charming and funny. This was not an easy decision.

Viconia - tough, tough, tough. Again I like both, but the ability for a character to protect themselves if necessary was the determining factor here as well. Viconia, unaided, is weak physically -- which is fine as she was never intended to be a tank, but there are occasions where all the clerical spells in the realm aren't going to help you when it comes down to hand-to-hand. What I believe ultimately decided who was going to be the least favorite here was Viconia controls undead (temporarily - they turn hostile again eventually); Anomen destroys them (not a temporary condition and they definitely won't turn hostile after that).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.