1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good vs Evil in Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] In all Baldur's Gate games the payoffs for being good always seem to be better than those of the evil path. I think it should be the other way around. After all being evil is all about taking the easy road and not caring about your actions. It seems like in BG games they make it take an effort to be evil when it should be the other way around. I think Bioware got this all screwed up. I never thought it was a roleplaying thing to make rewards an incentive for being good. In real life, at least as I have experienced, the bigger payoff is always the incentive for being bad as opposed to being good. STOP ALIENATING THE EVIL PEOPLE!!!

2. jesper898 Guest

i agree lord sarevok i always play an evil char

3. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Even though I don't play evil, I still agree that the game should not be biased towards good. I mean, this is an RPG, right? It's about choices, freedom of alignment and free will to decide not to take a shower.

Still, it's the best RPG I've ever played.

Oh, I did try killing everyone in the Copper Coronet once but the results just made life a little 'inconvenient' for me. Still a good laugh, nevertheless and I really enjoyed killing Nalia, BTW.

That stupid girl chased me down and bugged me everytime I enter that place even though I turned down her request earlier (wanted to finish other quests first before being subjected to the 'Nalia's Mission Timer'). Some people just can't take no for an answer.

So I made her chase me into one of those cells and trapped her within. Only released her when I was ready to do her quest. Those nobles really get on my nerves, tsk!

Sigh... When will I become a Goblin?

[This message has been edited by HunterByNite (edited November 18, 2001).]

4. TGM Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Yeah right, if you play a good-alligned character, the rewards and such will be greater almost every time, but I think there are many advantages of the 'evil' side as well.

For example:
    -You can use the Slayer without any remors. I mean, if you play a good alligned character, then you really shouldn't even think on using the Slayer. You must fight against its evil, so that way you can avoid Bhaal's taint to 'devour your soul'. But if you are evil, then, well, is that shabby 2 rep.points a cost for becoming the weapon of murder?:grin:
    -You can kill many NPCs or other characters in-game without having any problems with your outstanding reputation. Many times you have the opportunity to complete a quest for them, and then kill everybody, including your "employer" as well, and that way you may get much more experience and magical stuff. There are is the example of Adalon, the silver. With an evil protagonist, you can complete her quest and reclaim her eggs(receiving 78500Xp/party member) and THEN attack Adalon, and get his blood for the awesome Human flesh Armor:evil:. Or in ToB in Amkethran, you can give Vangoethe Marlowe's soul, and after you have received the powerful soulstone, you can kill the Lich, and get his equipment as well...and you can keep that stone, if you wish:evil:;
    -When you are in Hell after you defeated Irenicus, the challanges are way more profitable for an evil player than for a good one. If you are good, you can't do anything, can't get any of the powerful items, and if you try, your allignment will change to evil. However, if you are already evil, than you can kill everything that moves, and get many powerful bonuses and items as well;
    -and actually the Ending-video of ToB is way-more suitable to the "evil way" than the good. Somehow, if you choose to get rid of your Bhaal-powers and become mortal, the ending scene doesn't really fits the story.

5. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I heard a saying that goes something like "Crime never pays". Us good guys will always win!! Gwahahahaha! Ahem...but the game ought to balance out, so that both the well behaved and the unholy can get the same opportinties. But any more of that funny business in the Copper Coronet and I'll have to arrest you and put you in a cell next to Nalia, so she can bug you forever! ;)

6. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

And if your reputation high enogh, you can buy everything much cheaper... What a stupid thing! A REAL merchant doesn't care about your reputation, he wants your money!

7. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

LOL! That Copper Coronet incident was actually the result of a stupid accident I made (mouse-click wise).

I shudder at the thought of being locked up together with Nalia, though - "Is anyone willing to hear my plea for the 1000000000th time? Anyone?"

ARGGGHHH!!!!!

Still, I will never be able to wear that human flesh armor but I'm really curious about it though - is it powerful?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Quite.

Human Flesh +5

Made from human skin and treated with the blood of a noble dragon, this armor emits the stench of bitter death. The malevolent armor can only be used by a truly evil person.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 3
    Saving Throws: +4 bonus
    Magic Resistance: 20% bonus
    Weight: 5
    Requires: 3 Strength
    Not usable by:
    Mage
    Non-Evil Characters

9. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

I see, thanks for the info.

Still, I prefer sticking to my red dragon armor as it sets my AC to -1 (but the saving throw and magic resistance bonuses of the flesh armor can really come in handy). And boy, did I go through Hell to earn it with my Fighter/Cleric.

Strangely, I felt quite bad after killing those dragons (with a few exceptions). They gave me a chance to live and did not initiate hostility in the first place.

Bad Hunter!

[This message has been edited by HunterByNite (edited November 20, 2001).]

10. Lord Sarevok Guest

Does it change your appearance to a zombie? I doubt it but that would be cool.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

nope, it wont.

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I played the game through with a good character for the first time, and now I'm playing again with a baddie. (Lawful good assassin... what can I say? I'm a wannabe...)

My way of RPing my character goes like this: "If I do a few good things every now and then, people'll think I'm 'good' and will not object to my rise to power... fools!"

I agree that the 'good way' is sometimes more profitable, but the turning against your employer is fun as well!

Ara
    (Undecided on the subject of what to read first...)

13. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I played through the first few times with a good character, but it got a little grating after a while ("my hero, how can I repay you?" / "Don't give me money, I'm just glad I could help.").

Well, from now on, it's Neutral Evil for me - personal gain is the order of the day, and look out anyone who thinks they're getting my help for free... :evil:
    Good deeds may be on the cards, but only if I make a profit on them. :p

14. Lord Sarevok Guest

I'm experimenting with the F/M/T class, and I'm thinking of making him neutral evil, it allows a lot of flexibility since he does whatever profits him the most(kinda like how I play) even if it's a good deed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.