1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ranger-Cleric

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by moran1, May 23, 2004.

1. moran1 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is this a viable solo character (multi-classed half-elf)? I know I'll lose out on some high-level abilities. I've already soloed with a beserker-cleric dual.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Easy as pie to win with this guy. Stealth, all divine spells, butt-kicking melee. So you don't have trap removing powers, big deal.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Like the guy with the big briefcase said ( :) ), Ranger-Cleric is heaps easy...just chunk everything that moves!!

Also, locks are no problem because you get all those divine spells to boost your strength to insane levels, after which you can just bash them open. Also, traps are not a problem, because you can just heal yourself after triggering them...and if worst comes to worst, you can just avoid the deadly ones.

I agree with dmc...R/C's are insanely powerful!

4. Ban'Darlae Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I prefer a dualclassed Ranger/Cleric but ofcourse I don't mind being human, unlike some members around here. He'll still get both classes HLA (tracking: yeah!!), the THACO improves slightly slower but you'll get high level spells faster. Whatever you prefer ofcourse, just suggesting.

5. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The reason I like ranger-clerics can ultimately be summed up in two words: druid spells!

@Moran1 -- what HLAs do you miss out on? You get the same HLAs that any ranger or cleric would get anyway and 3M xp for each class (esp if you solo) is easy to get.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  7. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

actually, that depends on when you dual class, if you dual class before the HLA cap level, you will only get it from one class.....but if you dual class him\her one level above the Cap, you'll get one HLA.....it depends when you dual class and how many levels after the HLA cap you take. Which is why i among other things like to dual a kensai to thief at level 25 instead of level 13 when soloing. (to get greater whirlwind).

Ranger\Clerics are immense powerful, but choose a mulitclassed half elf ranger\cleric so you get the useful druid spells which is one of the nice sides of half elfs :D

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For a dual-classed character, most likely not. A ranger get's his first HLA at level 18, at 3 million XP. Then, a cleric gets their first HLA at level 22, at 3.15 million XP. Not only are you going to be primarily a fighter, and then primarily a cleric throughout much of the game, but after more than 6 million total XP, you have TWO HLAs. A multi-classed ranger-cleric would have 13 HLA's in that span (6 ranger levels, 7 cleric levels) and can choose from EITHER list with any of those HLA's.

Again, you have the same problem as the last one. Level 25 Kensai = 4.25 million XP. To get those abilities back, you need to be a level 26 thief, with 3.52 million XP. So essentially you go through the vast majority of the game as a fighter, then a great deal more as a thief, and only get the benefits of both near the XP cap. Also, without an XP cap remover, you're going to finish the game with exactly 6 HLA's (2 fighter, 4 thief). You'll get a ton of more HLAs with a dual-classed fighter thief.

9. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

true true, i still think its more powerful though........but maybe you are right hehe.

anyways, didnt you mean "muliclass" fighter\thief in that last line?

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Correction:
    - He will reach level 27 (not 26) as Thief.
    - He will get 6 fighter HLA's and 2 Thief HLA's.

I agree that a Fighter/Thief is better than a dual Kensai->Theif. You get 23 HLA's instead of 8 (6+2) and you spend the entire game with both classes active.

11. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

hehe, i still prefer the kensai's bonuses over hla's, you'll still be able to pull of enough whirlwinds when needed aswell :)

but thats just me hehe. after a game where i had both, the multiclass died constantly... :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.