1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which NPC do you give the "Flail of Ages" to?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

This is an awesome weapon, IMO, and I don't think it'll fit my protagonist.

I plan on playing a good aligned party, and I need suggestions on who to hand this weapon to.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Protagonist, if class allows. And if it makes any sense thac0-wise. It's a waste on Aerie, not really all that powerful on Viconia, perhaps Anomen then.

3. Kaos_Knight Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you cant decide who to give it too, keep it for yourself, so when your sword wielding character runs up against a golem, switch it to your weapon, and away you go... i know its a waste... but thats one option!

4. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Its definatly a weapon for Anomen or Vic if she is in melee.

5. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Just sell it.

6. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It's a weapon suited ideally for a cleric due to their limitations of weapon choice. As for which cleric to give it to, Vicky for an evil party, Anomen for a good party. The key to make the absolute best use of it though is to dual wield with Crom Faeyr for the strength bonus. Personally, I go with Anomen.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I usually give it to <charname> or Anomen. Depends on your class, if you're a warrior class hold onto it and use it vs. trolls and golems, or even as your main weapon, slowing enemies is very fun. I admit it's nothing compared to Crom. And what do you mean 'give it to Viconia'? If you're in an evil party give it to KORGAN to make him the toughest damn dwarf alive.

8. Elemental DarkLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It's completely useless if you're protagonist is a pure fighter since there are far more potent weapons in shadows of Amn that gives far more fighting abilities unless you are dealing with trolls and you don't have any mages, clerics or someone who could throw acid and fire to them and unless you have attached the two other flail heads ( which can only be found in ToB ), it's not that useful for a fighter.

Instead, let any cleric in your party use it to enhanced their thaco and damage. And with the other two flail heads, it could be a dangerous weapon if used in a right way.

Anomen can use it efficiently and if you don't have him in the party, Viconia can be a choice. Otherwise, better keep it until you find the other two heads.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

[​IMG] I just remembered something about Crom. Crom slays Trolls as well making the Flail of Ages look like a wind-chime.

10. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

A tip is to save the flail for any magebattle you face (if you dont have a good mage in your group). Every time the mage casts a stoneskin (or similar spell), just equip the flail and hammer away. One cannot damage them with the normal blunt attack, but the bonusdamage still applies, and their concentration is lost every time that you hit them.

Sure, you can strip them of their protection, but where's fun in that... ;)

11. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I give it to Mazzy for when she needs to ditch her bow for some melee combat. I like to use many different weapons, and the flail's elemental damage comes in very useful against certain enemies.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yes, but to get Crom Faeyr, you need to sacrifice a buttload of strength increasing items.

IMO, it's not worth it since there are too many other weapons that are potent enough in TOB to make Crom Faeyr a must-have.

The Flail cannot be sold for one thing, and it's an awesome weapon as well. For every three blows you land, one will slow the opponent with no saving throw. When it is fully upgraded, you deal up to five different kinds of damage.

Give to Korgan or Anomen, making sure to allocate the appropriate proficiencies. Like many others have said before, Grandmastery is overrated in BG2. 3 *s are enough points for any weapon. Hence, at high levels, both Anomen and Korgan should be somewhat skilled in the use of Flails and Hammers in addition to their default weapons: mace and axe respectively.

Let Korgan dual wield and Anomen switch between the Flail and Runehammer.

If Charname is a warrior class, I'm sure you should have more than enough proficiency points to spare a measly 2*s for Flails. It's a superb weapon in early SOA and even better in mid-TOB.

13. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The Slow effect also applies to *anything* in BG2 - with the possible exception of Balthazar.

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

First, before you all jump down my throat, I know the Haer'Dalis is more proficient in short swords then anything else, but I decided to equip him with the Flail of Ages and the Crom Faeyr, so he has the hits of both.

I suppose if your protagonist can duel wield well then IMO this is a great combination. :evil:

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In my experience (ie: just SOA) I can't even sell it. It appears grayed out in any shop I visit. Unless you keep the heads unforged, THEN you can sell the heads seperately.

16. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i useally give flail of the ages to anomen or minsc if i decide to let him wield cromfayer and flails of ages combined.

it varies, i always try to use different types of weapons for each game, then exeption being scarlet ninja-to +3 which i give to my thief when he\she gets UAI for an extra attack.
    (scarlet is selled by joluv in CC).

17. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Er... you mean "to which NPC do I give the Flail of Ages? ;)

Initially I give it to my main character, as I generally play a fighter-type, and having a +3 weapon is important for dealing with various nasties early in the game (golems, trolls, etc.).

Later I give it to either Viconia or Anomen, depending on which one is in the group. By the time I get to ToB, I've usually stashed it away into the Bag of Holding.

I agree that the Flail of Ages is a great weapon, but unless you get it upgraded later in the game, it loses its appeal to other more powerful weapons.

18. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

(These monkeys never cease to amaze me, their idiocy reaches new lows)

This question is of course folly. A fighter must wield a sword, Airee the Crom Faeyre and that leaves Anomen to the Flail of Ages. I actually think that it's meant FOR Anomen or an evil PC Cleric, because Viccy is so weak, she's going to need that Crom too. Any one who suggests that Korgan doesn't employ dual wield Axes, that Minsc doesn't use a two-handed sword and that Keldorn doesn't use a two-handed sword is an ass in my opinion. and for the record:

Jaheria: clubs, staffs and spears
    Cernd: as werewolf or hiding in the back with a sling
    Edwin: staff/ sling
    Anomen: Flail of Ages/ sling
    Keldorn: the +5 Paladin sword (I forget name)/ Crossbow
    Viccy: Crom/ Sling
    Aiere: Crom/ Sling
    Minsc: Equalizer or Silver Sword/ Long Bow
    Valygur: Celestial Fury/ Long Bow
    Korgan: dual wield Frostreaver and the that other +3 Axe
    Sarevok: any +5 two-handed sword
    Imoen/ Nalia/ Yoshimo: Celestial Fury/ Short-Bow
    Haerdilis: dual wield Celestial Fury and Adjatha the Drinker (deadly with offensive spin)
    Mazzy: Short sword/ Long Bow (obviously going to be the archer but since she's not that good at anything I never take her)

Right so that should clear any doubt amongst the more moronic of you.

Regards,

Edwin O.

19. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You give Aerie the Crom Faeyr?

That's a new one.

I usually give the FoA to Anomen, though my PC sometimes has it. I could never bring myself to give it to Minsc since it just doesn't fit.

20. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Of course the gal has only 9 strength and besides who else needs it more?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.