1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wow, Female PCs really get the heel in the romance department

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Black Magician Girl, Feb 26, 2006.

1. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hey, hey! Lay off Anomen people! :flaming: You gotta feel sorry for him, especially for having such a useless father. :( At least he dosen't whinge about his situation all the time like *some* other NPC's. :rolleyes:
    I've heard bits and pieces about the Sarevok Mod. It's sounds kinda interesting from what I've heard. ;)

2. Black Magician Girl Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hee! Romanceable Saverok - now that's going to be fun!

And I really don't hate Anomen, it's just that he's... Annoying.

And I really don't like his voice.

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Aerie has every right to be "whiney". Anyone growing up as she did would be ripe for extensive psychological issues.

Besides... she makes a perfect woman for a lawful evil character, she's a virgin and exploitable.

4. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Nobody has any right to be as whiny as Aerie. She sounds like someone who dropped their phone in the toilet, or booked a penthouse and got an apartment. What happened to her was serious; she should be grim, not feeble. And even if being wingless is death to the Avariel, which I know happily know absolutely nothing about, she's a mage. Mages have spells with which to fly!

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Damn you, Ilmater's Suffering,s top giving me ideas! my dear compy isin the shop do no BG2 for me....

Fel: That's what YOU think :evil:

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Aerie's loss isn't so much about flying, but the loss of her culturally identifying physical feature. Basically she sees herself as having been disowned and having chosen no action that she knew would lead to her becoming an outcast. She literally cannot return to Avariel soceity (at least she can't return as a member), she's basically a moon elf with a -4 constitution modifier now.

Aerie's in the situation of the beauty who gets her face mangled in an auto accident and when she wakes up, all her friends have abbandoned her. She goes from having mingling with the top of society suddenly finding herself in the dregs. Effectively the person that she was is dead, she's found herself in a new life now and it definately isn't one for the better.

You have to remember, her life didn't just drop to "average", she dropped to the very bottom, she became a slave while still a child, was a freak show novelty, had her wings sawed off, etc... she was basically stripped of any humanity she had and was turned into capital. Effectively her life is worse then anyone born into a 1st world country will ever experience (unless they manage to find their way onto the streets and I mean something very specific by "street"). Aside from the slave trade that still functions illegally today, we are hard pressed to find a situation that can compare to the unpleasantries of Aerie's life.

Arabwel-would Bioware made Aerie so ermmm.... dependant if she wasn't ment to be taken advantage of? Besides I'm sure Aerie would increase the status of her husband in any noble circle. "What did you say your wife was again? Hrrrmmm yes, a real marvel... so what does one like her cost on the markets these days?"

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

And I'm right. :grin:
    Wait, I thought the Avariel were elves, not humans? :roll:

NOONE has the right to be that whiny, no matter what has happened to them. Anybody who has a friend who tells the same f***ing sob story every time he gets drunk knows what I'm talking about. Be damaged, be shy, be whatever, but don't shove it in everyone's faces every chance you get; that's just plain inconsiderate and possibly even downright rude! I would expect more from an LG character...wait, nevermind. :hahaerr: Having a good reason to complain only excuses the first dozen or so complaints; past that it gets real old, real fast.

8. Prine Gems: 11/31

Well, heck, there's always Viconia's life... exiled and hunted by her people and former deity for showing the vaguest hint of remorse.

There's obvious parallels between Aerie and Viconia, but Viconia isn't as weak as Aerie by personality. It'd be ridiculous to expect a character like Aerie to not have issues, but it's how she handles it that irks me, her inability to adapt to survive and willingness to just roll over and die. It's the reaction I'd expect from a coddled yuppie in real life, but not from a character in this setting.

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Fel, comeon, humanity in moralistic setting supposedly transends mere biological categorization. :happy:

Anyway Aerie doesn't just sob to anyone, play through as a female character and Aerie keeps her trap shut until someone talks to her. Dependant Personality Disorder is a socially created psychological phenomena in which sometimes appears in women who believe that through their inability to stand on their own, the man they love will find them more appealing because the man comes into an accentuated masculine role.

Aerie tells you her story because she thinks that by being weak, you'll protect her (guaranteed that "thinking" may be done unconsciously).

Anyway I think we're getting :yot:

we might want to start an Aerie thread if there is any desire to continue discussing her.

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have no idea what the romance with Aerie is like but I do know that Aerie can be one tough cookie. But the point of this discussion is that the male PC's get some choice while the females are left with a bragging, egotisical, insecure whimp. The only thing he brings out in me from a 'romancable' view is masochistic. And maybe it is the voice they used. I hadn't thought of that. When I have time to just fool around with BG II maybe I'll take him along with the voice turned off.

11. Prine Gems: 11/31

Yeah, off topic, my bad. Anomen is slightly less grating without that voice. He's still outstandingly obnoxious whenever he interacts with another NPC, though.

12. Zamiel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BTW, it's not only female PCs who get shafted in terms of romance, but male PCs that are neither human, half-elven, nor elven are only able to romance Aerie. Bleh. I think any male character, though especially those of smaller stature, should have the opportunity to romance Mazzy. And where are the dwarven female NPCs? Nonexistent, it seems.

13. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yeah, Mazzy's cute. I always thought it was just me who thought that.

Someone at Spellhold Studios is making a romance mod for Mazzy, but it's only for "short races" and I only play tall races. :(

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ok ok, the original topic was a plea for where some decent romanceable male NPCs can be found. So .....

15. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

I'm currently playing a male NG Necromancer and I'm going to play through the Soulafein romance. Damn more male romances for female PC's, I want more gay romance mods!

Also, someone mentioned an elven necromancer earlier - that's impossible under the standard setup. Does that paticular mod alter the class system or something?

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The creater of Tsujatha (evil elven necromancer) probably just SKed his class, like a good 70% on this board do with the NPCs.

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@Dranalis DeAealth

Hehe :D :shake: :grin: gay romances are very hot topic nowadays, have you checked Nathaniel, a male human kensai with an interest in ONLY male PCs? Or Chloe, a female variant who falls for female PCs or Imoen! :eek: Check them out!

18. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Indeed. I'll have to try them at some point. :D

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^We debated them a lot last week, you can check the old topics if you are so interested...I even attracted the attention of the Nat's mod creator! YAY!

Anyway, it is good that there are still good/creative people working hard for new and...er, 'alternative' romances, we can never thank them enough I guess.... :)

20. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The Solafein mod is so confusing sometimes! Too deep for me, I think. :hahaerr: I didn't get some of the stuff he was going on about, and it's a pity they couldn't get the original guy to say some lines because I had to read his dialogues over and over again because I wasn't really reading it properly in the first place.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.