1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BIG SPOILER (sorry) Need Answers (end of SOA)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by cmarface, Sep 3, 2003.

1. cmarface Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok. I've only really passed this bit once. I am talking about the final door before the demons and irenicus (as a slayer) come out. You get various things such as experience etc... Now my big question is, do you ALWAYS get Strength or, say that you were a mage (as opposed to an archer), do you get intelligence or wisdom (better put... is it random or is it always strength???)

Thanks (and sorry if you read this but have not finished SOA yet)

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

The rewards are fixed and do not depend on class. You do get a different reward for good and evil options in each test, however.

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

With one of the trials, you can get +2 to strength I think. There is also another one where you get +1 to your primary stat. For archer that would probably be dexterity (but could also be strength). A mage would get intelligence, a fighter strength, a rogue dexterity, a cleric wisdom...

You don't HAVE to get these bonuses however, it depends on how you do the trials.

4. CamDawg

Again, none of the bonuses depend on the class of the PC, only if you followed the good or evil path.

FEAR
    Good: Immunity to +1 weapons or less
    Evil: +2 CON

SELFISHNESS
    Good: +10 resistance to magic
    Evil: +2 to your AC

GREED
    Good: +2 to all saving throws
    Evil: +15 to HP

PRIDE
    Good: +20% resist to fire, cold and electricity
    Evil: Gain 200,000 experience

WRATH
    Good: +1 to WIS and CHA
    Evil: +2 to STR

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Funny how they always give better bonus to the good guys. Except for that +2 strength thing.

In addition, because of Baldurdash Fixpack or Ascension, you also become Neutral Evil if you choose a bad option. Although I've not tried, I dare to think you don't get good if you select a good option as a bad guy.

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Actually, the 'fear' evil choice is not bad too if your char is a warrior with 18 or 19 con, +2 con will make it to 20 or 21 con. 20 con will have regeneration.

7. CamDawg

Yeah, Aldeth had a poll (shocking, I know ;) ) regarding which tears have better rewards for good or evil. +2 Con is way better than normal weapon immunity--even peasants in ToB carry +12 hackmasters--and the Wrath tear is a toss-up depending on your class, but I think the rest give better rewards for good.

Your alignment will change to evil if you follow the evil path in ANY trial. If you're evil or neutral, your alignment does not change to good if you follow the good path.

8. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually the evil bonuses look better to me than the good bonuses. Immunity to normal weapons might seem impressive but are there any enemies in TOB that actually use normal weapons?

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I like the evil rewards better too - especially for the fighter types.

Thanks for the promotion CamDawg - at least I think it was meant to be taken as a compliment.

10. CamDawg

Don't worry Aldeth, it was. :)

I would disagree with you, though... I find that better resistances (magic and otherwise) and saving throws make ToB a lot easier than the XP, HP, and AC bonuses.

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

the xp doesnt do that much for you by that time anyway, id go with the resistances

12. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

But the nice thing about being evil is that you can actually choose. There is no alignment change involved if you do something good (though it isn't really roleplaying...)

13. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31

of course its role playing.....

if your chaotic evil you do as it fit you best.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's what I was trying to say - that if you're evil you actually can pick which one you want. There's no penalty for doing it the "good" way. And yes, I always take the 10% resistances - much more useful in ToB. If you're good, there's really no way to do it the evil way, unless you don't mind losing your alignment, which isn't bad if you're playing a thief, but it's disastrous if you're a ranger, paladin or a druid. The cleric isn't very fun either if you've already received your holy symbol - does you no good now.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Actually, Aldeth, if you are a cleric and your alignment changes after you got your holy symbol, as long as you don't take it off you are still able to use it! If I remember correctly, anyhow.
    I think I've mentioned elsewhere, but I'll do it here too, that I wish alignment played abigger role in the game.

16. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I tried it without knowing what would happen. In my case, I killed the dragon just to see what I would get. Anyway, you are right, the game set my alignment to neutral evil - ticked me off too.

17. cmarface Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Am I missing something here? How do you do these trials? Last time i just went from left to right and the same with clicking the eyes? Is there an order for doing these trials in which they give you the best bonuses?

18. CamDawg

It's not a matter of order, it's a matter of how you handle them. Example: in the Greed test, the demon gives you Blackrazor. You can either give the sword to the genie to free him and receive the tear (good path) or keep the sword and kill the genie (evil). In this particular test, you would receive +2 saving throws if you followed the good path, or +15 HP for following the evil path (plus you get to keep Blackrazor). If you're good or neutral and you take the evil path in any of the tests your alignment will change to evil.

This is not an Ascension change BTW, this is in the original coding. There is a 'Revised Hell Trials' that allows for some 'neutral' solutions to the tests, but I don't really know anything else about it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.