1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

fun with physics, don't worry, it pertains

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Olan Durai, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Olan Durai Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] lemmie see...

1) The miniature giant space hamster, Boo, has a charge of +4C. His companion and life-long friend, Minsc the ranger, has a charge of -12C. Edwin the conjurer is trying to capture Boo while also trying to avoid Minsc (because he considers the ranger to be a blundering oaf) and therefore magically charges himself to -8C. See the diagram below. What is the net electric force towards the center on Boo?

tan(30)=.57 tan(60)=1.73 cos(30)=.87 cos(60)=.5 sin(30)=.5 sin(60)=.87

A) (.87)4.32e11 + (.87)2.88e11 B) (.5)4.32e11 + (.5)2.88e11
    C) (.57)4.67e11 + (.57)3.88e11 D) (.5)2.32e11 + (.5)4.88e11
    E) (1.73)4.32e15 + (1.73)2.88e9

2) Every time Minsc goes berserk, the little hairs on Boo’s back stand on end due to an electric field created by the miniature giant space hamster. The strength of the field is 10,000 N/C. If a metallic dart thrown at Boo is repulsed with 1000 N of force, what is the charge of the dart?

A)-5C B)5C C)-10C D)10C E)42C

3) Edwin is experimenting with his lightning spell and wants to save some of it for later. Using his magical powers, he conjures (like his namesake) a capacitor that has an area of 1000m² and the distance between the plates is 1nm(1e-9m) (it’s magical). What is the capacitor’s capacitance?
    A)88.5 C²/Nm B)8.85 C²/Nm C).885 C²/Nm D)8.85e-2 C²/Nm
    E)8.85e-3 C²/Nm

4) Edwin captures Boo and puts him in a hamster wheel that generates electricity. This generator is hooked up to a circuit with a 10 Ohm resistor, the current on the circuit is 200 Amps, when Boo is scared he runs fast! What is the voltage of the generator? Also, what is the power in Watts that Boo outputs?

A) 2000V;40,000W B)2000V;4,000W C)200V;400,000W D)2000V;400,000W E) 200V;40,000W

5) Boo has become tired after all of this running, he is only able to keep the Voltage at 24 Volts. What is the current flowing through the 5Ω resistor?

A)1.6A B)2.4A C)3.2A D).8A E)5.6A

6) Edwin has realized that Boo has low constitution, resulting in him tiring so much, so he wishes to store up as much of Boo’s electrical potential as possible. He parallels two capacitors and hooks them up to Boo’s generator, scaring Boo in the process, causing him to squeal and run faster, outputting 30V instead of 24V. Edwin speeds up time (to an infinite extent, for he is a mighty conjurer). C1 has a charge of 100C and C2 has a charge of 50C. What is the total capacitance?

A)10F B)20F C)15F D)30F E)5F

7) Minsc arrives and rescues his miniature giant space hamster, leaving Edwin alone to run in the hamster wheel. But Edwin has a plan, using an intricate circuit of resistors and capacitors; he will store up enough electrical energy to cast a lightning spell strong enough to fry that blundering oaf and his wretched little beast… yes… C1, C2, and C3 have a capacitance of 10. R1, R2, and R3 have a resistance of 5Ω. Edwin can only generate 10V because he does not have as high a dexterity as the little hamster, and he’s a bit pudgy (but don’t tell him that). Find the equivalent resistance at t=0 and the total capacitance at t=∞.

A)RT=7.5A ;CT=3.3F B)RT=7.5A;CT=6.7F

C)RT=5A ;CT=4.5F D)RT=3.3A;CT=7.5F

E)RT=6.7A ;CT=7.5F

8) After Edwin stored up all that energy, he decided to conjure a sphere of charge(electric field). The voltage of the field was 45V and the charge was 10C, what was the potential energy of the sphere?

A)450J B)45J C)4500J D)4.5J E)42J

9) Edwin is making a magical potion, to enhance his own conjuring abilities. He conjures up the ingredients, mostly water, and a cauldron with and electric heater below it (a magical one that is 100% efficient). The heater outputs 500J/s of heat into the cauldron. If the current is 20 Amps, what must the voltage of the electricity going into the heater/cauldron be?

A)2.5V B)1000V C)100V D)25V E)42V

Free Response

Edwin’s potion backfired… you may now call him… Edwina, yes, he has undergone a gender change due to the odd nature of his potion (apparently there was too much heat or some such). To remedy this he must try to create a circuit that has many resistors, and two capacitors and linking his heater to that circuit. He is running the wheel again, though in his feminine form he is much more lithe and dexterous and can output 24V (the exact same as a tired miniature giant space hamster, how odd!); to further his running abilities, he casts Haste on himself, doubling his running speed and thus the voltage output doubles. He is powering his cauldron again, this time with 300 Watts(to be safe). He has 3 paralleled resistors of the same resistance R. Capacitor C1 has a total capacitance of 100F and C2 has a total capacitance of 50F. Find the amount of resistance required to establish enough current to power the heater at 300 Watts.

A) Find the current necessary to power the heater at this voltage.

B) Find the current that go to each resistor. At t=0.

C) Find the resistance of all three resistors. At t=0.

D) Find the equivalent capacitance of the two capacitors at t=∞.

E) After t=∞, find the charge of the capacitors and the amount of energy stored in the capacitors.

sorry for the length, but i had so much fun making this physics review that... yeah, just had to share, ciao for now

2. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    What an odd first post....and yeah, I agree with the answer of 42. :p :rolling:

4. Malagance Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] For some reason, that made my day. Thanks!

5. Albert Rose Gems: 1/31

I took Fizzix once.

6. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

uhh...

/me eyes cross and head explodes...

42 hamster mush droppings!!

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is the most bizarre first post ever. Kudos to those of you who seemed to have actually managed to work this out. :beer:

8. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

*smiles*

well, it seemed the thing to do! With the new movie coming out soon and all I figured more would understand the reference LOL.

*bows*

9. Tarron Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ow my head, i dont know capacitors but 4=D, and 5=D too( ipresume its a typo and is 4.8amps?). 8=A and 9=D.
    By the way how do you work out capacitance, isnt it:
    C= Area X Dielectric
    --------------
    Gap

But that is
    (1000x 1.0006(if we presume its air))
    ------------------------------------
      1e-9
    = 1.0006e12.

[stumbles off to find paracetamol]

[ March 04, 2005, 18:34: Message edited by: Tarron ]

10. Olan Durai Gems: 1/31

yeah, well, I made this and knew that some would appreciate it, so I posted where I knew those that would appreciate it would see it... most of the problems had pictures and such, but I don't want to bother getting a host site for them and then typing the url poo... so, they aren't particularly comprehensable with out the pictures.... yes, so... I did mess up on the dielectric thing, I neglected to read the chapter assigned, so I was going off of a set of formulas and some rather sketchy notes(my own)... well, about 2 or 3 are just really screwed up.

And, I'm glad I made someone's day, just doing it made my day, ohh, and the pictures I made make it 10 times funnier, imagine a circuit diagram with Boo between the positive and negative sides of the battery/voltage source symbol... and if you don't know what I'm talking about, take High School Physics, it's great.... well, have company right now, must go entertain her... maybe a good nap... ciao

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Electromagnetics. I am presently posting in these forums because I just hijacked this PC and am supposed to be listening to our Electromag Professor reviewing the 4 Equations of Maxwell approximately 7 meters from where I'm sitting atm.
    A thousand call lightnings strike you across all 9 axes of the 3 coordinates systems from negative infinity to beyond. :p

I must admit the problems look a lot less austere the way you make them. I'd gladly solve these problems, but not here and not now. :D

12. Olan Durai Gems: 1/31

Many of them are quite ambiguous without the circuit diagrams I made for them, so, you may only be able to solve 3-4 with a good chance at accuracy. 5 is A, by the by, not a typoed D, and one could only see that with the diagram, so... yes... 4 equations of maxwell, that sounds slightly more advanced than AP Physics I, meh... I'll get to that stuff eventually

I am very happy to have entertained a few of you, and happy that I've made a few of you remember back to the days of physics class (or experience and type during)... that last sentence sounds odd, I don't feel like fixing it though, it seems adequate enough.

"most bizarre first post ever", I should claim that as my title, "The man who had the most bizarre first post ever!" main words: bizarre, first, and ever... ever.. as in towards infinity, time towards infinity... that is if time is linear, if it isn't.... then it would be the most bizarre post in existance, though not necessarily ever.. or maybe just the most bizarre first post now... Meh, I am not sure that it matters altogether that much.

We'll just say time is linear.. and I'll keep the title as 'ever'... ahem...

Now, don't we all love rants, it's 12:45 and I've alt-tabbed out of Planescape:Torment (an incredible game might I add) and am trying to find out what in the nine hells to do next. And yes, I did just say "nine hells"...

Well, since I've started up my old Interplay games again(including BG2, which inspired that particular masterpiece that is displayed above), you may see much more of me than you would particularly expect. Until I post again, good night-day-evening-midmorning-earlymorning-existance... ahem, good day

Edit: Just looked at the first PM thing, I wonder, if I were to send the full review, pictures and everything, would that possibly allow me my title? If so, awesome... otherwise, hrmm, I'll have to aquire titleness by other, more effortful means.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Full review of what? We already have a review of Torment. What we're looking for at the moment are mod reviews.

14. Atorian Paladin Gems: 1/31

im gonna give this url to my chem teacher, so i can get browine points, because she is also a D&D freak like all of us.

I have no idea of what all those numbers mean, but the thought of Boo running on a hamster wheel is funny.

15. Olan Durai Gems: 1/31

no no, full physics review, the questions above are lacking the pictures, I have it saved as a MSword doc. with pictures and everything.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  17. Arngor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Erghh... I didn't even bother reading more than two sentences. Gah my head....

18. Olan Durai Gems: 1/31

alright, I'll send it in it's full form to you guys...

Edit: It is sent... godspeed good physics review... godspeed

Edit #2:Well, it should be up some time soon; therefore, if you liked the little snippet above even slightly, then download it when it comes on the site. Thank you and goodnight!

[ March 09, 2005, 00:21: Message edited by: Olan Durai ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.