1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NPC Elimination Finals

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Imoen is now catching up with Minsc only having a one vote lead. Minsc has 27 votes (or 51%) and Imoen is just behind with 26 votes (or 49%)

And Eze what was this drastic thing you did last time when Imoen won?

To tell the truth though I am really surprised that Imoen and Minsc got through to the finals. Just reading peoples comments they don't seem to be the favourite NPC of a lot of people. Perhaps its just silent people who voted for them (and me of course :) )

2. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It will always be a near thing. According to one of the earlier elimination rounds Edwin and Imoen were extremely close. In the end familiarity will likely win then day over something (or someone) new.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yeah, I know it has always been very close. If you look back at the earlyer polls I've made a few posts so I have been keeping up with the NPC Eliminations. What I'm surpirsed about is that no one is saying how great Minsc (and Boo) and Imoen are. People have been going on and on about that drow; that wizard and Jaheria but I havn't heard any one saying that Minsc and Imoen are the best NPCs before. So I just thought it strange that they get to the finals. (Not that I havn't been supporting them the whole way through)

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What, I didn't say anything? Either my memory fails me again, or you didn't read it.. or I didn't write it clearly enough.

Ok, here goes then.

Imoen is by far the most important character there is in either BG1 or BG2. Her portrait was so ugly in BG1 that it had to be changed, but that was it. She is the friend, the sister (and lover if you have the Imoen Romance mod :rolleyes: ), the only person who's experienced exactly the same things the charname has and the only person able to understand the depth of things the charname does. The emotional bond the charname should have for her is stronger than with any other NPC. Imoen, unlike the other NPC:s is a main actress in this epic story, just as charname.

Either because of this realization, or because I have no siblings in real life (and every one of my friends do), she is personally the most important character to me. Even with evil characters I always emphasize that Imoen is of prime concern in my search for a way to access Spellhold, and I never leave her there.

As for Minsc, he is the epitome of a well-made humorous yet genuinely useful character in any RPG. His comments are never such that they would spoil the mood, yet he always manages to keep things just light-hearted enough as to offer the small condolence that is needed. Either because of his fierce attitude, his dumbness, or Boo, he never recognizes fear, and is always out to sacrifice himself for his friends. His honesty and nobility is rivaled only by his huge size and tremendous strength.

Imoen and Sarevok would be my first two choices simply because of the bond they share. Somehow it feels like destiny that the three were supposed to end the final struggle together, battling on the same side as a family of sorts. But Minsc does not fall far behind Sarevok.

How's that for a praise?

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Actually, originally there was a massive quest linking Hendaks slavers with the slavers in the temple district with the Twisted Rune.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This is a tough one, as I like both characters a lot. I tied the voting up by voting for Imoen. She's got better lines, better abilities by ToB, and she's an integral part of the storyline.

Minsc is funny, but dumb. If there were a romance mod, I'd like to see a storyline where a deity restores his Wisdom and Int to the levels they were at before his injury. Then he would be interesting, and maybe you could free up the space Boo takes ("I won't be needing this little bastard anymore!" -- [squish, final agonized squeak]) :D

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

How dare you tempt the wrath of the giant space hamsters with such comments. Be thankful you are spared this time.

8. Rotku

Ok, how about this Foradasthar, I have heard very few people say that Minsc or Imoen are their favourite NPC in comparison to, just say, Edwin.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Edwin is a splendid character. But the main reason people would appear to choose him is because he's the trendish sort of "different" bad guy. Imoen and Minsc carry an importance far more in depth than Edwin does, in my opinion at least.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Foradasthar.

Imoen and Minsc are part of a small group of characters that were put into the game with the idea in mind that they would be become integral members of your party (Jahiera, Minsc, Imoen etc).

Although Edwin is a super cool NPC (and lets face it, the best mage you can get by a country mile) Imoen and co. 'are' the story in my opinion.

P.S. I voted for Imoen as she is your sister... and when you play through the games from BG1 you kinda get attached to your sibling, and some of the dialogue etc in ToB for her is brilliant (her argument with Korgan "The last time I saw you exert yourself was over that steak in the last inn we stayed at!" or when she tries to steal things of Keldorn :) made me laugh!.

11. andrew61388 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Minsc 31
    Imoen 30

???

Comon people, how can Imoen even come close. Am i the only one who hates little sisters?

12. toturi sezaru Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Minsc 31
    Imoen 31

I like little sisters. Hell, she's a lot more useful than Minsc. Boo's a different matter though. Now if the poll's Boo vs Imoen...

13. Rotku

Now if the poll was Boo vs Imoen...
    Then Boo would have lost long ago. :p

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Imoen 31
    Minsc 32

People, vote for IMOEN. Imagine her naked, then imagine Minsc. Yep, which one would you choose? That's right, vote for Immy. :p

15. Trydan Gems: 5/31

However, that is the way that the votes have fallen. And the people whose personal choices make it through will not complain, of course.

Still, I'm puzzled as to why the elimination system was chosen, rather than a straight poll:- "Select your favourite NPC" (using a check-box, rather than radio-button poll, so as to allow the undecided to cast two, or even three votes). Is there a call for this? (If nothing else, other than to validate this poll?)

16. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Same thing as with any political election. It's more accurrate.

If you had 20 choices to choose from, the winner could be voted by a 10% minority of the entire cast of voters. As opposed to just dropping the less popular ones and allowing each to defend the choice they feel is closest to them on every round.

Think of it this way, you can either ask a guy 1 question, or 20 different questions. Which do you think gives a better idea of what he wants?

17. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31

Imoen all the way baby!!

Did I mention that I just love that scar?

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

*Taps christopher_c_pitzer on the shoulder*

Even! One more scar-lover and Imoen beats that gorilla and his smelly hampster! :p

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is bull****! I can't believe Imoen is going to win. And yes, I will start a new poll after this one ends (Friday) that allows you to just pick your favorite. I need to validate this poll, because it is beyond my ken how Imoen could have possibly won. Am I the only one outraged by this?

20. Rotku

Ha ha, Imoen is winning, well now that is a twist I didn't expect! What time on friday does the poll close(in GMT please, I can never workout USA times)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.