1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Underdark Woes

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tommyboy, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, i am in the Beholder Lair. I cannot kill enough of these guys. I will kill a pack of them, then i will lose a char. to petrification or imprisonment on the next horde of them. This is really frustrating.

Okay, Three things:

1.) is there a good strategy to beating these beholders?

2.) is this beholder lair needed to beat the underdark? Does it lead anywhere? Or is it just for loot? And, is the loot worth this trouble?

3.)The third thing, is there anyway to bring a guy out of petrification or imprisonment without using potions? I obviously cannot go back anywhere to get potions. Everytime a guy gets petrified or imprisoned, i always restart the saved game because i don't want to lose the character forever. Please mind my ignorance, is this a dumb thing to do?

Sorry so long, just have some unanswered questions. Thanks for your help.

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ya know there are some very simple spells that can help you.
    #1 Protection from petrification
    #2 Protection from Evil
    #3 Summoning spells were meant to help you.
    #4 THat talking sword and Mincs are a very good thing to use... jus have #1 and #2 cast on him!

3. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The best strategy for my last party mixed it up a bit for the UNDERDARK BEHOLDER hordes. It was far MORE Beholders than I could've imagined were in the game!

1) BTW, if you have the Cloak of Reflection, Shield of Balduraan and the +3 throwing axe (of the Undead) you will be absolutely invulnerable. Send in just one party member equipped with these and you can clear out the entire complex.

Otherwise it's hard fighting, the usual proteciton spells plus potions of Strength, Electrical protection etc. Summon some creatures and hasted all of your party and go for it!

IF you were fortunate to have the cash (e expensive scroll) and paid attention to where the ANTI MAGIC scrolls were in the City (very few places have them) you will be invulnerable to their magical attacks.

2) Yes there is a quest by the Drow to get either something from the Beholders OR from the Flayer complex. -your choice. IF you can, clean up both places for the experience that Imoen no doubt needs to ramp up her Mage levels. The loot is also nice, and some are 'artifact/relic' magical items for these Beholder/Flayer areas.

3) There are 2 shop areas in the MAIN UNDERDARK where you can buy items to assist you... SCROLLS of Freedom just to name one.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited October 25, 2000).]

4. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31

I don't have the spell "protection from petrification." So i take it that there is no way to bring a petrified character back???

Anyway, keep the replies coming guys. thx IronEagle. I would still like to know an answer to #2 and #3. Thx again.

5. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31

Thanks, that's helpful. I do have the cloak. And i do have an axe that throws for +3 and returns to thrower. Korgan has it right now. But, will the petrify and the imprisonment spells be reflected by the cloaK? I thought it was just damaging magical attacks. What do i do against those spells? Chaotic commands? Does that work against those spells? Thanks for your help draco. Do you know the answer to these questions draco? Also, do you know of a way to bring back a petrified character? Thanks again.

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

For petrified characters, cast Stone to Flesh.

Syl...

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Sylvus already hit on the Stone to Flesh, which are available by Spell as well as Scroll. If your main character doesn't save vs. spell (so as not to be Stoned/Petrified) very well try a potion of Invulnerability or cast Magic Resistance on him.

You may wish to revisit some of the Spells in the manual (if you have the manual) that you find opponents casting. A good method is to find out how to 'best' deal with these spells.

Imprisonment has no saving throw when cast, so the only thing you can hope for is Magic Resistance or the Freedom Spell or Freedom Scroll (after the imprisonment deed has already been done). Chaotic Commands protects from magical 'mind attacks', again you may wish to read both the manuals description AND the spell description that your priest has for this spell -you'll find an interesting difference in the description. (as well as other spells)

Also some of the Beholders attacks are not just RAY attacks. The Shield reflects all RAY attacks right back at the Beholders. The Cloak reflects all Electrical attacks back at them as well. The Throwing axe simply keeps you at a safe distance (not in range of Imprisonment...) and the Beholders will eventually turn 'yellow' if none of their attacks are working against you.

8. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31

Okay, great. That helps a lot.

So how does this sound:

Give Korgan protection from evil, boots of haste, cloak, and the axe. Then send him in to do the damage and take the hits. Just make sure that i have a mage fairly close to stone to flesh him. Anything else i should give him or protect him from? Or does this sound like a pretty full proof plan?

Once again guys, i really appreciate the help. Coming from one gamer to the other, i know you guys know how frustrating it can be to play for 3 hours and get nowhere. :( hehe But, anyway, thx for the help.

9. DailyRich Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I finished the Underdark and never went to the lair! Somewhere else (can't remember where) I had already picked up an Elder Orb eye, so when the Matron Mother gave me the quest, I just said "Yep, got one right here!" They were quite impressed with me and I saved myself a whole pile of trouble, it seems.

10. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

spell trigger with 3 fireballs is your friend. i had my swashbuckler wear the clock of mirroring and draw about 10 beholders and elder orbs together then had nalia and imoen release 6 instantanious fireballs on their arses. most satisfying results :)

11. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    Allow me to suggest something else here, a non-battle tactic, but one that can really help you along.

If you manage to defeat one group of beholders, and have some breathing room... SAVE. That way, if you lose against the next batch, you at least don't have to start over from the beginning.

Some people don't like this tactic, but honestly, there are just too many random factors that can kill you without you having anything to say about it.... so to me it seems like a fair trade, to be able to save frequently.

12. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Another good idea...don't choose that option! You can either take out the beholders, the illithids, or the Koa'toan. Koa'toan seem rather easy, relatively. The prince is somewhat difficult, but not impossible. I had more trouble with beholders and mind flayers.

13. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I can't wait 'til I arrive here. Sounds like I'm in for quite the adventure!

Syl...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.