1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problems in Watcher's Keep

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by OTG, Nov 13, 2006.

1. OTG Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I'm down by the seal, seen off two sets of the monsters that spawn, stuck on Ytossi etc... any hints or tips?

Party has about 4 million xp each... Korgan / Jan / Jaheira / Imoen / Viconia. PC is Human Kensai (13) Mage (20?) dual class.

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Have you tried walkthroughs? I forget how I got through, but I'm sure I used a walkthrough.

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ok, this is where you can use traps to your hearts desire, since it's said when you turn the key that there's going to be guardians. You might even encountered the other guardians, so your PC knows to expect trouble. If your traps are good enough, they should take away at least the succubus.

After they set off the traps it's time to run away. Divide and conquer. Don't try to fight them all head on, retreating to one of the three rooms gives you some advantage. Put Summons between you and them for cannon fodder and distraction. They will come after your thief and spell casters, so have them protected.

Kensai/mage? It's time for a Time Stop after you've retreated! You should be able to take out at least the Hive Mother or the drow. Maybe others if your traps have been effective enough. I'd go for the Hive Mother first. Magic does not work as well against these people as brute force.

I'd take out the spellcasters first, since with Imoen, Jan and your PC having PfMW and protections will give you enough leverage to take out the fighters of the bunch most easily. Then it's time for the Huntress to be killed, since she's really deadly with her bow and will most likely target your spellcasters. The melee fighters of the bunch will usually go for anyone who's the closest. The marilith has always been last to go. She's not as dangerous as the Huntress or Xei Win Toh IMO since she spends some of her time summoning those skeletons.

4. OTG Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! How overpowered is Time Stop? My PC basically solo'd the lot of them...

The rest of the party stood over by the coloured-ball-summoning-thing and tried to look inconspicuous. Equipped Boots of Speed, drank an Oil of Speed (gotta love those stacking speed effects). The PC turned the key then made a sharp exit stage right. As soon as he got behind a wall (only being chased by the Huntress and Xei Win Toh) cast Time Stop, went after the Huntress: cast Ruby Ray then hit her with the Staff of Magi, switched to Anguveril (sp?) and the Equalizer for slicy-dicy fun on her, then the kensai. Used the Wish scroll one of them dropped to cast another double length time stop with IA, diced the Hive Mother, made large in-roads into Ytossi. The rest was just a mopping up exercise... I'm stocking up on Time Stop... any items that give extra level 9 spells?

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Not that I'd recall. Don't know about modded items however...

But Wish and Time Stop are probably the best 9th lvl spells, especially with multi- and dualclassed mages.

6. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The combo TimeStop + Shapechange(mind flayer) save my party every time in this battle. Maybe you can use it succesfully.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Even if you don't want to use Time Stop, some intelligent character positioning and co-ordination can go a long way to helping you win this battle.

I had Aerie, PC (Kensai/Mage), Jaheira, Korgan, Edwin and Imoen in my party (ages ago...back when I actually used to USE a party! :p ) and we were at like 1.5 million XP each so not TOO high level.

I just had Edwin and Imoen load up on Breach, Aerie load up on buff spells and SotM etc...

Then, when the fight started, Aerie (who had fantabulous THAC0 thanks to Holy Power, Righteous Magic, DUHM, Improved Haste etc) walks over to all the characters who have any buffs cast and whacks them once (only once!!) to get rid of their protection spells.

I made sure my R/C (or Korgan, or Jaheira or ANY decent melee char) wailed on the Hive Mother to kill it first...because trust me! The Hive Mother does the most damage in the long run...

In the meanwhile, have Edwin and Imoen cast stuff like Fireball or Cone of Cold on the Archer, Druid etc...

If you have cast stuff like Mirror Image, Blur, Stoneskin, Prot. from Magic Weapons on your mages, they should be protected and can in fact serve as decoys to distract the melee characters till you have destroyed the Hive Mother and the Druid.

Next, target Ytossi, as she does HEAVY melee damage. Just keep casting Breach on her and attacking with melee characters...

Once you've done that, they all go down! Remember that you HAVE to cast a lot of buff spells before hand to make sure you don't take too much damage!! Also, the Hive Mother casts an unblockable Dispel Magic at your characters, so keeping them far away from her, except for one character (I recommend Korgan or non caster melee character with high defense and HP) to absorb those.

Atleast, that's a low level way of beating them.

There is of course, the CHEESE way, which I adopted after I got really irritated with the Improved version of this mod thanks to Tactics (think Improved Mages, Improved Beholders etc)...

I just cast 4 Project Images (Chain Contingency target self : helpless -> 3x Project Image) and then cast Time stop with ALL of them...then proceeded to summon like 20 Planetars...IIRC, it was the SoTW a while ago. That was fun... :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.