1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions on the Wizard Slayer

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Why is wielding Carsomyr and the human flesh wrong? OK, I can see that it wouldn't really be very logical to wield a good-only sword while wearing evil-only armor, but isn't that the essence of Use Any Item?
    With this ability, you can give a thief a two handed sword -> wrong, you can give him full plate mail -> wrong...

So from a role playing perspective, I think the ability in itself isn't very suited for that purpose.

And uhm, you can't backstab with Carsomyr? Why not? I thought all piercing and slashing weapons could be used for backstabbing. And Carsomyr would seem slashing to me. But Even if this isn't possible, give the WS/T some profiency in daggers/short swords and he can still backstab, and then swith to the Carsomyr.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can only backstab with thief weapons, which don't include 2H Swords

3. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

And how do you sneak up on your 'unknowing' enemy with a GLOWING great sword in your hands? Hmm, but then again you can backstab with Celestial Fury - also a great big glowing beacon :rolleyes:

But to get back on topic:
    The Wizardslayer/thief dual class is a great way to counter the restrictions of the Wizard Slayer but I actually think it's better to stay single class.
    1. You get fighter HLAs
    2. To get a decent MR you have to dual at a pretty high level - boring!
    3. In ToB the Wizard Slayer actually get a high MR in the end - and with the Amulet of Seldarine (the WS can use it!) + Shield of the Lost he can get around 100 MR... can't remember the exact numbers though.

This thread seems to focus on the spell disruption skill but the MR is a pretty nice perk too...

Puh, it's late (or rather early)! :coffee:

[ August 07, 2003, 06:45: Message edited by: Victor Eremita ]

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ok, I have been playing BG2+ToB with a wizard-slayer for about 20 times so I have been called here by Splunge to make my input.

1. The 10% spell failure stops everyt spell-like ability on everyone, and I mean EVERYONE!! This means that it'll get harder to rage if you meets a barbarian, set traps if you fights against thieves and most of all, it stops all kind of enemies spellcasting. Nethier Mellisan nor Irenicus is immune to this so it stops most of their effects totally as they WILL survive 10 blows. But remember this exception; spelltriggers and contegnicy(sp?) spells WILL work no matter the hits.

But remember, it only gives you 99% no matter the hits and IIRC each blow works for one hour.

2. Yes, stoneskinned liches will get effected, so will improved mantled Lavok. No matter your protection, you will always be affected by this hizadrous spell failure as long as you hit the enemy with the roll. This makes all these blows against a stoneskinned, fireshield protected mage actually useful.

And to sum up most of these later posts about if he should get dual-classed or not:
    DON'T DUALCLASS HIM!! He will get more powerfull in the end, dualclassing ruins him totally.

Powergaming way:
    If we say that you are on level 40 with your solo character, you can cheese him to hell(literally.)

Give him the Answerer(-2AC and -20% magic resistance on each hit on enemy), shield of Balduran(Beholder Rays), Vhailor's Helmet(simaclarum), Bots of Speed(Speed:p) and the amulet of the Seldarine(bonus MR) he will have way over 120% magic resistance IIRC and give him three hardiness feats and a LOT of Greater Whirlwind attacks and he will hit much, hard and can't get hit with psychical damage and will resict almost all magics. He will also remove the magic resistance from dragons and such and the AC on other hard-to-hit enemies. Überpowerful indeed.

Roleplaying way:
    Hard to explain what you should or should not do, it depends on your way to RP. Can't help you here.

5. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

But if you dualclass him to thief on let's say level 15 (he gets 30% MR), then wear Human Flesh armor and the Carsomyr (that's a total of 100% MR). MR could also be boosted to much higher with other items, but this isn't necessary.

Now I have the thief skills of a lvl 38 thief, which include backstab and use any item. This character will still reduce the spell succes of mages and be able to wear carsomyr (but he could also wield the answerer and some other MR-boosting items).

Pro:
    - Use any item
    - Backstab
    - Thief skills

Con:
    - thac0 loss
    - fighter HLA's

You say, you would completely screw the wizard slayer up by dual classing. But can you either say what points I'm missing, or explain why the cons are so much more important than the pros?

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Heres my point of view:
    A pure wizard slayer will be able to battle spell caster(MR and spell disruption) or warriors(fighter's HLAs) with ease. He is more easy to play too, as he is a straight-foward character(just charge, no need too much planning).

A wizard slayer/thief will be able to equip some powerful stuffs that pure wizard slayer cannot(as Menion Leah had mentioned: "use anything" HLAs). He can also use thief skills, but to me, the skills are not important, as you should already have 1 thief to do all the thiefing stuffs before your wizard/slayer dual-class. What's important are his HLAs which allows him to set powerful traps and also the assasination which helps in combat. As for backstab, it's good but not very useful, as most powerful foes can see invisible or cast anti-invisible spells.

Comment: I used to like the idea of wizard slayer/thief too, but after realising that wizard slayer can still fight very well against warriors,especially with fighter's HLAs, I start too like pure wizard slayer better.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Does the thief Use Any Item ability enable a Wizard Slayer to wear items other than shields and armor AND retain his wizard slayer abilities?

8. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I'm pretty sure it does.

9. Tarchon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have been planning on making a Wizard Slayer/Thief for some time. I premade a Wizard Slayer with the following stats:

18/00 str
    18 dex
    18 con
    11 int
    12 wis
    12 cha

Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking to clearly at the time and made his alignment lawful good. :rolleyes: But fortunately, was planning on changing his alignment anyway once I got to the five challenges in hell. Since I plan on soloing with him, I can take the evil path on the third test and sacrifice the random villager of no importance ( :D ) and receive +2 to my AC instead of another 10% magic resistance which isn't needed at all for a Wizard Slayer with Carsomyr.

Ultimately, as a Wizard Slayer/Thief, I want to be an uber fighter. Dueling to a thief is only so I can use any item. Hence this wouldn't be a backstabbing person. Here are the items I hope to use:

-Carsomyr +6
    -Shuruppak's Full Plate/Endiku's Full Plate (not sure which yet :confused: )
    -Helm of Balduran
    -Ring of Gaxx
    -Ring of Earth Control
    -Amulet of the Master Harper (+3 AC: crazy as an amulet for a fighter!! :D )
    -Gauntlets of Extaordinary Specialization
    -Montolio's Cloak
    -Golden Girdle (should have 23 str anyway by the end if I take the right actions with the fifth test, the deck of many things, and the machine)
    -Boots of Speed

There should be enough experience in ToB to offset the amount in SoA (if one saves Watcher's Keep for the end). However, I might need to take Sarevok along for a while until my thief' level is sufficient to solo. Fortunately thieves take a good deal less experience than fighters do.

10. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

1. How would you get +5 points to your strength?
    2. Why use the golden girdle? I'd say the belt of Inertial Barrier is much more useful.
    3. If you're soloing through SoA with a fighter, you will gain a hell of a lot experience. You can't dual until after hell. I can take a party of six to the xp cap in SoA (that's about 3x6 = 18 million xp points), so if you're soloing, you've probably hit the ToB xp cap by the end of SoA.
    Maybe you already thought of this, but you could wait with installing ToB until you finished SoA (I even think there is a trick where you could dual just before the end and when importing to ToB, the game will automatically give you 2,500,000 xp in your new class).
    Or you could of course use SK and change your alignment.

11. Tarchon Gems: 1/31

You can get +5 strength as follows:

Kill Sarevok in hell through pure wrath by slayer changing. When you do this you gain +1 in your class's primary attribute slot. For fighters, strength is their primary attribute. When you return the Tear of Bhaal, you gain an additional +2 strength as a reward for taking the evil path. (Note: if you killed Sarevok without giving into the wrath and you did not slayer change, then you won't get a bonus primary attribute point and you get +1 wisdom and +1 charisma for returning the Tear of Bhaal instead of +2 strenght; giving into the wrath is the evil path and will change your alignment to evil if you are good)

You can get another +1 to your primary attribute slot with the Deck of Many Things. You can also get one last point in every attribute slot with the Machine of Lum the Mad. So the grand total you can permanently add to your strength is +5 (+6 if you import a character from Baldur's Gate/TotSC if your read the tomb of strenght).

The belt of inertial barrier is relatively useless if you already have 100% or greater magic resistance. Reduced damage from piercing weapons is not worth it. I'd rather have bonuses to AC. And the +5 to breath saves is only useful in a few specific circumstances.

With my last solo character, a sorcerer who did every quest imaginable, I reached about 11 million experience in SoA. Yes, I disabled the experience cap with the level 50 patch. Some may call it cheating, but for me, I think it is fair in Baldur's Gate II since it is the end of the saga. You are supposed to become like a god after all. In Baldur's Gate/TotSC I prefer to leave the experience cap on since it is only ending at the middle of the road. Everyone has his or her preference and this is mine.

12. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

+2 in hell
    +1 from deck of many things
    +1 from lum the mad
    --
    +4 total? (right?)

The golden girdle doesn't give AC either (just against slashing weapons, for which it is very good).

About your experience points: Even if you disable the xp cap, the wizardslayer will go to level 40/50 (because you can't dualclass until after SoA, right?). You will probably be able to catch up with your thief class, but it will take a VERY long time.

13. Tarchon Gems: 1/31

Yes, it does take a long time, but that's just me.

And you get a total of +3 strength in hell as a fighter if you take the evil path, not +2. You get +1 in your primary attribute slot (that is strength for a fighter) as soon as you kill Sarevok as the Slayer. Then you get another +2 for returning the Tear of Bhaal. Both of these only happen if you give into the wrath and take the evil path.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.