1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter/Thief?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by spetznaz, Apr 6, 2002.

1. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'm currently soloing a Kensai/Mage but I also play some on my Halfling Fighter/Thief in ToB... wich rocks! I use whirlvind and assassination and I get 10 backstabs :D.

What do you guys think of the Fighter/Thief?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    uhm, F/T is nice - what else did you expect?

3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Nothing else, but it's just that a lot of ppl has complained on me for playing a Fighter/Thief; many think that the Swashbuckler is better =/...

Cheers.

4. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you have ToB, I'd definitely take the F/T. Especially a Kensai/Thief, since you love so much that kit. Why? Just guess which limitation "Use Any Item" allows you to bypass :-D :-D :-D ...

BTW, you know you can backstab with a katana? As useful for murders as some daggers may be, I think that with a 5x/7x multiplier having 1d10 damage instead of 1d4 is worth of note. Particularly if you have the Kai ability..

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Heh, take a lvl 12 kensai (4+ dmg) and x5 backstab with kai and Celestial Fury and + Single Weapon Style (Critical on 19-20); that's awesome! :D

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Even at risk to disappoint you: A pure swashbuckler dealt out 154 damage on a critical hit with a wakizashi +3 @ str-18 and lvl-14 omce ...

No need for multi- or dualclass - single class thiefs rock the way they are :p :p No need for kai, kensais, katanas and stuf :p

7. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Whirlwind attack---> one round duration
    Assasination-------> one round duration

One casting each round.. ugh! How? :mommy:

8. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Never really thought of that... :whoa: althought I'm always on Haste or Improved Haste (dunno if it matters!), but it works.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is possible to have 10 or atleast 8 backstabs per round but not with whirlwind.
    Have a weapon that you are able to backstab with in your main hand, then take kundane in your off hand now you have 4 attacks per round, improved haste 8 attacks per round, assassination makes them all backstabs and if you have high strenght you will see lots of fireworks on the screen! Improved haste last for a while just set of another assassination as soon as the first stops. Not really useful since most of the enemies that you are able to backstab and that comes in swarm is almost as easy dealt with fighter script 1. :roll:

10. yappie! Guest

Go with an asassin for extra effect.
    Poison Weapon
    Backstab Ability
    Whirlwind (or whatever)
    Improved haste
    (use a fast Short Bow, and you're INVINVIBLE!)
    well nearly...

[edit]
    Sorry, that's *INVINCIBLE

[This message has been edited by yappie! (edited April 10, 2002).]

11. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Backstab with a short bow?? Ugh, how?:mommy:

12. Ragusa

Media:
    No, not backstabbing with a fast shortbow (he most probably meant the tuigan shortbow btw). It's about using the assassin's poison weapon ability with a ranged weapon ;)

Excellent alternate ranged weapon choices for an assasin are IMO: light crossbow of speed (best with bolts of biting), darts of wounding/ stunning (3 attacks per round on a shorter range; very effective for an asassin btw). Best arrow for maximum poison damage would of course be the arrow of biting.

13. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Had an Assassin before. He had the Boomerang Dagger,2D4+3(!), throwing dagger. That's the ultimate distance weapon IMO for a thief. Damage as a +3 Bastard Sword, though it's a returning throwing dagger. That's awesome! My current plain thief has the Tugian Bow though. He's mostly in close combat, though sometimes you have to attack from distance. I also got the dart+3 in watchers keep (I know I ain't to post that here :(). Really good dart.

Cheers.

14. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh, I forgot throwing daggers *sigh* yes, they are very nice weapons indeed, especially since they can be used with a shield or a buckler +1 ....

15. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Yup, the Boomerang Dagger is very powerful.
    Highly recommended for a thief.

16. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Improving Joacqin's tactic, you CAN backstab 10 times a round. Just dual-wield Kundane and Belm: they both add +1 attack. Then go with the usual things (Improved Haste & Assassination). Ouch!! :D

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Unfortunately you cant backstab with Belm, and improved haste never gives you ten attacks per round, atleast not from what I have seen. Even if you have 5 attacks as base you only get 9 with improved haste. And my fighter/assassin with 4 base attacks only get 7 with improved haste :(
    I wonder why?

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Why can't you backstab with Belm? IIRC I did so and even when I didn't I should be able to do so since scimitars are weapons suitable for backstabbing ...:eek::hmm::coffee:

19. yappie! Guest

I don't know if it's a bug or something? But every weapon usable by the Thief is able to backstab... At least it does in my game.

I've backstabbed with Scimitars, Katanas, Long and Short Swords, etc etc

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Oh it gets better. I was playing a half-orc cleric/thief and I backstabbed the jailkeep golem using the spell spritual hammer...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.