1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game Freeze Problem on Start

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Melestav, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Melestav Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello everyone, I've been playing bg2 for a long time, and have often used SP for my troubleshooting and modding needs. Well, after a long sabbatical I decided to pick up BG2 for another go for the first time on my new computer. I'm having two problems that have never occured before however. First and most importantly, immediately after creating a new character and hitting start, the game freezes once the load has been completed. I get an unmovable cross icon in the middle of the screen, and the game becomes completely unresponsive. Now, I'm using a number of mods and patches-namely- The Darkest Day-the official ToB patch-and a number of the fine Weidu mods Ease of Use, Sola, Tactics etc.
    Has anyone had a similiar problem? With this I am completely unable to start the game, I've done two fresh installs with no luck, I guess the next step is to check playability between each mod with a fresh install, but I'm hoping to not have to resort to that and get my game on. Thanks for any help!

Oh yes, my second problem is that I cannot seem to use any custom portraits. Do these have to be in a specific format to be viewed by Bg2? I've never had this problem before either, when trying to use a portrait the icon comes up as the silhouette of a head with a "?" on it.

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Are you putting your custom portraits in the right folder for BG2? They give you one, in BG1 you have to make your own.

3. Melestav Gems: 1/31

Yes, I've used custom portraits before in BG2 without difficulty

4. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Are the portraits in .bmp format? 'Cus if they're not, they won't work. Also, are they the right size? The large portraits need to be 110x170 pixels, and the small ones 38x60 pixels. They need to have an L after them if they are large portraits, and an S after them if they are small portraits, and the name must be less than seven characters long.

A problem I found with the portraits was, that after you have moved them to the portraits folder, you need to quit the game and reload it again. Otherwise you won't be able to use the portraits. I think this happens because of the data being introduced after the game has loaded it or something, I'm not sure.

As for the game freezing, perhaps some of the mods aren't compatible. Sometimes they just won't work with each other. The WeiDU should work alright, but sometimes others won't. I haven't actually tried any of the mods you mentioned, so I don't know.

Hope this helps a bit.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Post a list of all the mods you have installed, as well as their order. While TDD has been bug ridden for a long while now it won't fair to blame it out of hand, specially if you are using the new WEIDU version.

6. Melestav Gems: 1/31

Aright, problems fixed. I first uninstalled BG2/ToB and deleted all leftover mod files. Then did a full install of BG2/ToB, tested a new game, worked fine, tested portraits, also worked. Then I ran the patch and the Baulderdash Fixpack, also fine. Then I installed TDD-still working. Then the Weidu mods in order-Ease of Use- Tactics- Spell50- Underrep Items-Sola. To my suprise (this was the precise install form I used in my last attempt) the game loaded just fine and all is well. I'm frankly stumped as to what caused the problem in the first place, but all is well now. These mods seem to work fine together, time to start my new game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.