1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Coolest BG villain

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by casey, Dec 23, 2003.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Abom: I'm curious have you played BG1?
    It's been over two years since I played BG1 so forgive me if I'm wrong but, Sarevok runs from you in Balders gate after facing him when you ruin his plans to his hidden city, which is also his home ground.

Also Irenicus didn't "run" from you in Chapter 1 he allowed himself to be captured to lead you into his trap, It is as I predicted, it all has been. he say's in Spellhold before stealing your soul that just cannot be a coincidence. and when he runs from you in Spellhold it's because he thought you were dead so his own arrogance was used against him.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Sarevok runs from you only once and that is so he can use his full power against you. However most of Baldur's Gate involves you running from him and his assassins. Whereas in BG:II Jon is constantly running from you. Even at the start Jon has no intention of facing you, he could have blasted those cowled wizards into dust.

Lets not forget how perverted Jon is, trying to clone Ellesime.

3. casey Gems: 15/31

Well it depends on how you look at it. For me i do not think Jon was perverted in the sense your probably thinking of, when he was exiled and had his soul taken he lost all ability to feel emotion, why do you think he sounded so emotionless and what he said about trying to "recreate her love in my mind and recapture it, but it is gone a hollow dead thing" (to Elisime at the tree of life) which I think you will agree is a blatant reference to his inability to feel emotion.

Also I don't think you read what I said about

He does not run away after escaping his dungeon, period. It's part of his revenge plan, it's not hard to understand he leads you into a trap after you escape by stealing your childhood friend Imoen or alternatively for an evil pc the promise of power, you chase him, you find him or more like he finds you, he steals your soul, (he had links with Saemon and Yoshimo to drug you) and attacks Sundanesselar leaving you for dead.

Also considering how easy he makes it for you to escape his dungeon at the beggining of the game regarding the fact that the Guard Golem he leaves with the spare equipment to not attack you, I have trouble beliving someone as smart as Irenicus would do that by accident.

So to sum it up Irenicus only runs from you once as well and that's in Spellhold when he thought you should be dead and outnumbered him about 12:1 (with the prisioners on your side) so he isn't sticking around to be killed like Sarevok would he want's revenge and doesent care one bit about fairness.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sarevok of course ;) Mellisan was probably the worst though ;x

5. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

I don't think any of these villains are all that cool. They all have rather minor parts to play int the story, by which I mean not that they aren't critical to the plot, but that there is little to no interaction with them. Yes, there are lots of cutscenes with Irenicus, but not much more. And the available interactions with him are so tightly controlled that they might as well not have any buttons to push for dialog options. Besides this, the Irenicus that appears in your dreams is not Irenicus but the instinct/taint, so that interesting bit with the Irenicus character is not to be attributed to Irenicus the villain. If I played evil, I suspect Bodhi would have a bigger role, so perhaps she's the pick of the litter. However, if I had my druthers, I'd probably vote for Yoshimo.

Yoshimo is great for a few reasons. First, unless you are a thief, or unless you happen to stumble across Jan early in the game, you really need Yoshimo. There's an intriguing tension between trust and need. Second, he is personable and has quite a bit of dialog and interaction with others. He's not as simple and flat as the characters in the poll. He's sneaky in the way he tries to manipulate you while leaving you in control. And even though you have to kill him, you really don't want it to play out that way. You would much rather find a way to keep him in your party, but his betrayal and demise is unavoidable. Sure, Yoshimo is not indespensible to the story, but he's a more well-developed character for interaction. Plus, he's a sympathetic villain, unlike the thoroughly despicable and unpitiable Irenicus or any of the other equally "simply evil" baddies.

6. VStyle_Gove Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You guys have got to be kidding, Sarevok has got to be one of the coolest villians of all time. Anyone who is a fan of the entire series (not just bg2) will most likely agree, I think Sarevoks voice acting is just as good as Irenicus, If not better, Sarevok is the man. Then again im just a fan of Kevin Michael's voice work, as well as Jim Cummings works in games. I cant beleive Jons votes are 57% over Sarevoks 19% :confused: I assumed the community would like Sarevok FAR more?

7. casey Gems: 15/31

Bombur Irenicus doesnt show pity because he can't pity because he has no soul, because the Seldarine took it away from him, so he plots revenge on them by destroying Sundanesslar an rising to godhood (how original :rolleyes: and needs your soul to do this. He also want's Bodhi to have a soul too so he let's you escape and captures Imoen which means you have to go after him, so he gets two for the price of one.

And Vstyle Gove, this is one reason why Irenicus is more popular because Sarevok couldent come up with such a masterful plan like Irenicus did, for Sarevok it was simple "taint the iron make the people desperate, and elect me to rise to power and godhood by starting a war of bloodshed and sacrifce to Bhaal which he would never buy anyway"

8. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    It depends on how someone's villainy scale works.
    There are those who prefer twisted, perverted, calculating schemers who would rather observe from a distance and take an active hand at something only when absolutely required, while others prefer frenzied, unyielding warriors who would want nothing more than to gouge themselves with blood and revel in the battlefield.

IMHO, real villainy is all about being truly perverted and evil, so the coolest one would be Neb, the child-killer.

9. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

[​IMG] @casey
    Sorry if my sesquipedalianism confused you. When I said that Irenicus was "unpitiable," I meant that he was not deserving of pity, not that he showed no pity.

10. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Don't forget the Tanner... :mommy:

11. casey Gems: 15/31

Sorry Bombur I took it the other way when you said unpitiable.

12. Hellheart Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Obvious choice would be Irenicus (because of the good dialogues , especially the 'dream' ones), but I did chose Bodhi. Changing your lifestyle to take revenge (I mean the changing into a vampire) that must be true evil. The true evil ones are the fanatical ones right? Vampires are already bad , but the ones who like to become one are more than that , fanatic to stay like that (and to keep 'un'living of course).

As said before , Mellisan isn't that a villain , though she is quite clever. You did kill all her opposition FOR her , right?

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] I see Baron Ployer is not on the list. For shame.

Irenicus? Come on. You defeat him half-way through the game with the help of a bunch of lunatics. How totally not scary is that?

14. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yeah, Irenicus is quite good, and has his own storyline.
    But I liked Sarevok better. You saw him in the prologue, in the intro, but you did not know him half the game. It was nice to discover his notes, letters, then journal. And his Rieltar plot, that was perfect. Anyway, bg1's plot was very good. Deep, complicated, changing.

15. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] I love Irenicus, once had my PC have his voice, too :p ...but that got quite confusing I tell you.

16. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i voted bodhi, just love her way of toying around with the players.

come mousy, mousy :D

17. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Irenicus was definitely the best. Execellent story, voice, tactics, lines - a combination of cleverness, wit and power.

'Twas a pity that I couldn't get him to join the party instead of Sarevok at the start of ToB.

18. Hyperion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Irenicus, by far. Maybe because the main story it's all about Irenicus and the main character. Plus, it has some romance in it. My favorite part takes place in Suldanessalar (don't know how to spell that one!) with Queen Ellesimme (don't know how to spell this, too :) ). That part is just too cool to describe in words. With Irenicus beeing a former elf and all that... Jonaleth... Way cool!
    Another option would be Firekraag, but he has just too few lines to look at. Oh, well... Maybe it's just me, but I just love dragons!
    @casey & JSBB:
    "The actor's name is David Warner."
    Well, JSBB, I think you're very wrong. The actor's voice belongs to Jeremy Irons. You know him, right? Remeber Dungeon & Dragons (the movie). He was the evil mage (forgot his name). Seems like he has some habits...

[ Actually, the actor's name is David Warner. You can confirm that on imdb.com ] - Beren

[ January 08, 2004, 20:50: Message edited by: Beren ]

19. casey Gems: 15/31

Hyperion check the link it say's under his name that he played the voice of Irenicus.
    And what do you mean habits?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.