1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Massive BG2 game

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Burndamage, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Burndamage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It has been a while since I have played BG2/TOB, and I am going for a BIG game with as many mods as possible. Basically I am starting a multiplayer with three pre-made characters.

1) tank: paladin, kensai or barbarian (open to other options, tell me what you think)
    2) missile character/ backup tank. Not sure of going a basic fighter or archer (open to new ideas/advise on this one)
    3) Spell casting character. Magic user/cleric or cleric/ranger (never played either). Again any constructive advice would be great.

I am looking for pros and cons on the above options with people’s game play feedback.

I have many saved games from BG to import but I am not sure if I want to do this or just go with new characters. (again all advise will be helpful).

I am going to pick up (as many) NPCs as I can. Looking for characters that help fill out the blanks in my party (thieves, bards etc.). Also looking for good banter, NPC quests and romances if possible.

The list of mods I am trying to install are:

NiGHTMARE's Infinity Engine Junk
    TDD kit remover - when
    The Forgotten Children
    Nalia Romance
    Exnem's Addon
    The Tortured Soul
    CBisson's Familiar Pack
    Masamune Sword Mini-mini-quest by ShadowDaemon
    Kelsey
    Chloe
    Tashia
    Solaufein
    Valen
    Goo
    Silverstar
    Vanim
    Xan
    Kiara-Zaiya
    Horace
    Hubelpot
    Mike
    Azrael
    Neh'taniel
    Ghareth
    Hessa
    Alassa
    Anishai
    Ninafer
    Cassius
    NPC Flirt Packs
    Banter Packs
    Getting Rid of Anomen (Kelsey addon)
    Cloakwood Squares
    NPC Kit Pack
    sporeboys! Alternate Female NPC Portraits
    JPS' Portrait Collection
    Blonde Imoen
    Alternate BG2 NPCs (changes the class of several Bioware NPCs)
    Totemic Cernd
    Imoen Romance
    Unfinished Business
    Turnip Golem Encounter
    Improved Oasis II
    Check the Bodies
    Redemption (Ascension addon)
    Deeper Shadows of Amn
    Ajoc's MiniMod
    Planar Sphere Mod
    Planar Sphere Return Mod
    Mordan's Christmas Mod
    Iron Modder 1 Pack (2003)
    Iron Modder 2 Pack (2004)
    Iron Modder 3 Pack
    Iron Modder 4 Pack
    Iron Modder 5 Pack
    Iron Modder 6 Pack
    Iron Modder 7 Pack
    Iron Modder 8 Pack
    Iron Modder 9 Pack
    Dungeon-Be-Gone
    Ashes of Embers
    Oversight
    Virtue
    Cal-Culator
    Rogue Rebalancing Pack
    Ease-of-Use
    High Level HLA Fix
    King Dutka's Disarm Trap Spell
    Item Upgrade
    Cespenar Audio for Weimer's Item Upgrade Mod
    Underrepresented Items
    Improved Horns of Valhalla
    Freedom's Reign/Reign of Virtue (WeiDU)
    Ruad
    The Unusual Oddities Shop
    Rastor's Item Pack
    Dark Ritual
    The Magnificent Magic Store
    MunchMod
    SP Items
    Cleric Remix
    Divine Remix
    PnP Celestial
    Turnabout
    The Longer Road
    Refinements
    G3's BG2 Tweaks
    The Bigg's Tweaks
    Simding0's Experience Fixer
    Yacomo's World Map

These will be installed with the bid picture mod (all the above are meant to be compatible with BP but god help me trying to get them working together). All advise on this would be great (I have looked at the spellhold forum for this but I am not sure if this helps or hinders me).

I am thinking of starting playing in November (it will take me that long to figure out the above mods).

I have completed BG2/TOB three times but am not expect in the mechanics (or quests) of the game.

All advice would be greatly appreciated and I would like to do a running commentary on my game (with posts on problems, bugs, new stuff- from mods and anything else that takes my fancy).

This will be a long term project since it took me two years to complete BG2/TOB the first time since I will be playing it only a couple of hours a week.

Again all help will be read and taken on board.

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm not much of a modder myself, but I can't tell you how many times I've read on these boards and others like it how too many mods screw each other up.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

No way in hell will all of those mods be comptable with each other mate. I have about a half of tht list installed and am constanly having resolve conflictsbetween the mods.

4. Burndamage Gems: 1/31

This is good feed back, but can you tell me, in your experience what works and what does not.

5. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

For a start, if any clerical/dridic mods are added with the divine remix, something will generally bite you on the ass as I fond out recently with the Auramaster druid.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I have one question...what are you going to do with all those NPCs? :hmm:

I counted at least 21 NPC mods! Are you going to take each one along just long enough to get their quest and then dump them for another?

And why is Saerilith missing from the list!?!?! :nono:

I don't mean to jinx you, but I'm betting that you're going to have major bugs/incompatibilities. But good luck anyway. :bad: :rolling:

7. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As stated in the ReadMe, divine kit mods will work fine with Divine Remix provided Divine Remix is installed after them.

8. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If you don't reload when an NPC gets chunked and diced it could be interesting to have a few extras...

I have a few mods installed -not as many as you are planning to use- and I still can play the game:

EASE OF USE
    NPC_TWEAK
    G3TWEAKS
    NPCKIT
    SPSTUFF
    UNFINISHED BUSINESS
    CROSSMOD BANTER
    SPELL50
    TACTICS
    ASCENSION
    EDWINROMANCE
    BANTERPACK
    HUBELPOT
    VALEN
    SOLAUFEIN
    KELSEY
    KETO
    D0QUESTPACK
    D0TWEAK
    DUNGEONBEGONE
    TURNABOUT
    ARCANEARCHER
    SAERILETH
    YASRAENA
    KIDO
    ARIENA
    OVERSIGHT
    MINSCKIT
    CRUSADE
    WIKAEDE
    WILLY BRUCE
    TSUJATHA
    HELLION
    FADE
    NATURALSELECTION
    WEAVER
    ASHESOFEMBERS
    XAN
    KIVAN

I can no longer play that game without the Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth" from Ease of Use. I don't have all the components from all these mods installed but the game is playable (and fun).
    I guess I didn't realize how many mods I have installed before trying to list them all -I may have forgotten one or two... :)

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I notice you've got Cleric and divine Remix on your list. Cleric Remix is the forerunner to DR, and DR contains everything CR has.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well I have more mods in my list, and they work fine, most of the time. If you obey installation order they should work fine, but you can never be sure.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

AahhAHAHAHAHAH SILVERSTAR HAS MORE!!!!

Omg that's crazy Silver ...

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I feel I must ask you the simple question 'Why?' From the number of mods, you seem to be taking many for the sake of having lots of mods, rather than them adding all that much to your game. You won't use all of those NPCs in the one game, so unless you don't ressurect, all those mods are doing is taking up memory space on your computer.

As has been pointed out, there is no need for Cleric Remix. Longer Road negates any need for Redemption, Tortured Souls is infamous for not being particuarly compatible with several other mods, a Disarm Trap spell is a bit pointless if you are taking a thief and Cal-Culator is, well, a bit silly. Your choice I guess.

I seriously advise thinking about if you really need all those mods or are simply taking them in order to have a list to rival Silverstar's (which won't work as he'll just end up looking for more in order to still have the most).

@Kitrax: Apart from being a bit wearing to have with you, Saerilith is IIRC incompatible with Kiara-Zaiya.

@Silvershield: Yes, that was a helpful comment that you contributed. :rolleyes:

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Wait, I do not have Iron Modder parts...what are they? Are they all compatible with each other? What do they add? I want those too! :roll:

OK, being serious, I do not think I will need more mods...I will add Improved Anvil if I can, and then cool NPCs Xan, Kido, Garreth, and a few things too, but that is it! :p

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

WHAT I MEANT, Decados, was that with all those mods I doubt his game could possibly run properly or that even any of the mods are going to work because many will end up clashing :) So my comment was actually quite beneficial :p

I'm sure Silver knows which mods clash with each other and in which order to install them :D

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    @Silvershield: Someday you'll have to explain exactly how saying that Silverstar has more mods really says 'I doubt your game will run properly'. If anything it implies the opposite (and was written in mass capitals with multiple exclamation marks).

However, regardless of how pointless I feel your interjection was, this isn't helping the OP's question so I'll leave it at that. Carry on people.

16. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, I'm going to use this topic for my own benefit, and I hope Burndamage won't mind it. It's going to be short question anyway.

I'm planing on starting a new ToB game, with following mods installed:

Ascension
    Longer Road
    Oversight
    NPC Flirt pack
    Turnabout

Can there be any complications expected if all of these mods are installed at the same time? I plan to install them in this particular order, and the only thing that is bothering me, is that somewhere I read that Turnabout AND NPC Flirt pack should be installed last. So, which of them should be last last(hope that made any sense :p )? And if I choose not to install Turnabout, will the above order of mods installation work fine?

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Without Turnabout? Yep, definitely. I usually do Oversight straight after Ascension, but that's mainly cause I think of the Five and then Improved Sendai. I can't see any problem with Turnabout either, nor predict any real problem with that order. I use Flirt Pack and don't install it last (I didn't realise it wanted to be until you said so). In other words, yep things look fine as you have them.

18. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Thank you for your time good sir :D Your help was much appreciated.

One more question while on the subject. Does Ascension automatically installs improved bosses or not? Because there's no way in hell that I can beat improved Illasera with newly created character :p

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Ascension gives you the option of which ones you want to install, so you can install only the ones you wish. If you are starting fresh in ToB, then yes, I'd advise against Improved Illasera.

20. Burndamage Gems: 1/31

Again thanks for the feedback and to answer some of your questions:

Kitrax

Yeh, I will probably take each one along just long enough to get their quest and then dump them for another. I just want to see what they are like and what they add to the game.

Sorry I missed Saerilith, I will look out for the mod and add it to the list.

I am going through the mod readme’s and various forums to try and find out about incompatibilities. It does look like there will be problems and if I have to dump some mods due to this, then so be it.

Thanks for the good luck – I think I am going to need it.

Decados

The reason in using so many mods is to try and create a very large BG2 game that I can enjoy. To find out what these mods do. To try and get a number of them to work together and then pass on the information to others.

I will try and use all the NPC mods installed to see what they do and ditch them if need be. I have a core party (original three characters) that will be used and I will take on NPCs as required.

Thanks for the info on Longer Road mod, Tortured Souls mod etc.

I am not trying to beat anyone on a list of mods in a BG2 game and I understand that a number of them will need to be dropped. The list of mods is what is compatibly with the big picture mod and I realize a lot of them will not work with each other.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

Mordokal

I don’t mind; feel free to ask as many questions as possible. The more information the better.

I am currently downloading the mods and going through the readme’s. Thanks to the above I have already decided to get rid of some of the mods that will not work with each other or are no longer needed. I am looking into the NPC mods and will get rid of any that look like they do not add much to the game (21+ NPC mods does seem like a lot).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.