1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Of Sorcerers and Magic

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ofelix, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It is in my knowledge that these kind of question are often asked. However the answer I yearn was found untold in the search I did. Perhaps it is because these questions are stupid in nature.

So may you indulge me kind lurker of Sp?

First; Is all item labelled mage only can be used by Sorcerers? So can a sorcerer wear the gear of the mages?

Second; In the event of the first question beeing true, When an item says it add one spell slot per level how can that affect sorcerer whose spell are not learned in the books?

Third; Can a sorcerer unlearn his spell when the experience of life grant him another level? Much like they did in Neverwinter Nights?

That is all, I thank you for your kind anser in advance.

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1) No. The item will be labelled usable by sorcerers, as the sorc ain't even a mage subclass.

2) In the case of the sorc, it would add to the total amount of spells the sorc can cast of the given lvl. Double amount of lvl 1 spells? The sorc will, FX, cast 12 lvl 1 spells instead of 6.

3) I think ToB introduces the ability to unlearn learned spells, though this would make no sense for the sorc, so my guess is no.

3. Ofelix

Media:
    So are you saying good stone man, that my sorcerer can not cloak himself in the Good Archmage robes? What bitter irony it is. Then neither can he wear the metaspell influence necklage?

That knowledge that I yearned was maybe best untold...

Then what magical item a sorcerer can wear if the gears of the mages are prohibited?

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

On my game where I was a sorcerer, I can't remember any mage items I couldn't use. I could use the Ring of Wizardry and the robes at least.

5. HairySun Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sorcerors count as mages, they can use all mage specific items and are counted as mages when it comes to items such as robes, rings, scrolls etc. I know this from playing a sorceror through both SoA and ToB

The Answer to question two is that when you have, say a ring of wizardry, it will just add the ability to cast a spell of the certain level.

And no, sorcerers cannot ever "unlearn" spells, but while this may seem like a horrible inconvinience, I think sorcerors are very powerful as long as you pick all your spells well. Hope this info helps you

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    WTF? :mommy:

Anyway...Ofelix, you have a good question. I have Kelsey in my party right now, and he's currently wearing the Robe of Vecna and the Ring of Wizardry. But you're in luck because I also have the Robe of the Good Archmagi in my Bag of Holding. So when I start up my game later tonight, I will see if he can wear the RotGA...because frankly, I've never tried it. :rolling:

7. Ofelix

Media:
    Come to think of it, in my last game of Bg, I did see my sorcerer wearing an adventurer robe. Perhaps it's the sign sorcerers and mages are linked in equipment they can wear.

At least I see hope for my future game, maybe the gear of the mages hasn't close its door to sorcerers.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Like HairySun says... for all item-related purposes Sorceres are considered to be mages. Anything increasing the number of spell slots at level X for a mage will increase the number of castings per day at level X for a sorcerer.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

1. Sorcerers can wear and use any item labeled for mages only. All those rings, robes, staves, etc.

2. RoW, which adds extra spell slots for a mage, will add extra castings of spells for a sorcerer. Kelsey is a good example when you load him up. Normally, sorcerers get 6 castings per level. Kelsey can get up to 8 castings at level 2 with Acuity ring and Metaspell Influence ammy.

3. AFAIK, what you pick for your sorcerer is unchangeable. If you pick Strength (level 2) and decide on your next level up you would rather have Remove Fear, too bad. Sorry. :(

10. Ofelix

Media:
    *cough* Shadow Keeper *cough*.

No? Isn't SK a way to have some spells of sorcery unlearn? I seek a way because doing the first chapter again only because I did an error picking spells is not an option.

Well then I am glad that sorcerers get to use the same item as the wizards.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I suppose you can SK if you like. Or learn to work with the spells you picked, like the mortal that is me. :rolleyes:

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Sorcerers, once you know what spells you like, are the best class in the game.

13. Ofelix

Media:
    Then what spells ought I to learn during my travals to inflict severe punishment upon those who dare to stand before my might?

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ofcourse sorcerers use mage items: Like robes, wizardry rings, wands, Staff of Magi and Power and scrolls. They can not learn spells from scrolls but still they can use them if need be. So scrolls are a definite luxury for sorcerers, not a neccesity like mages.

But, if you are not good aligned, you can NOT wear robe of good arch-magi. Drows sell a spiffy robe of Evil Arch-mage but I do not know where you can buy a robe for neutral arch-mage. But best robe is Robe of Vecna, get it and stick with it!

However, in BOM item pack, my druidic sorcerer (who is counted as a pure sorcerer for items he could use, he uses Robe of Vecna, Ring of Wizardry, wands, etc.) can not use that spiffy item Gloves of Extra Ordinary Arcane Skills, I guess it is a bug.

Spell picks are so important so I suggest you think carefully before choosing. If you do not like your decision, simply SK it. Some choices may be great for others, but suprisingly you may do poorly with them. And vice versa. SO experiment, experiment...

16. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Shadow Kepper works, I managed to change Tashia entire spell book using it (her spells really sucked initially). There is no ingame method of removing sorcerer spells.
    You can definitely use all mage items, you get extra castings using ring of wizadry etc.
    I don't know what olimikrig is talking about.

There is no real set formula for pick spells for a sorcerer - I would read a number of guides and pick the spells that you think will be most usefull and fit your playing style the best - Just make sure you have a method of removing enemy mages protections.

17. HairySun Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You learn best from experience, as the first time I played throgh with a sorceror i didn't havve the best array of spells, but I learned from my experiences and next time I play sorceror I will be able to have an even stronger one.

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

True, sometimes a spell sounds or looks cool but actually it is either worthless or you do not know how to use it.

19. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

one example is vocalize with a sorcerer. Kelsey has it and I thought useless since my wizards would never have that memorized (I dont like its duration too short). But since Kelsey is a sorc he could cast when needed and override silence whenever needed really useful spell on a sorc.

20. dooms11 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Vocalize isn't necessary because you can get amulet of power which gives permanent vocalize among other bonuses.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.