1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's The Best Way To Prevent Getting Stunned?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by HunterByNite, Nov 18, 2001.

1. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi guys;

One question: What do you think is the best way to avoid getting stunned and thus become immobile if you don't have a mage?

If I'm not mistaken, the free action spell or ring won't help, right? Any suggestions?

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Right free action won't help. There's a difference from being held and being stunned ;). Work on imrpoving saving throws with various items. Rings and cloaks of protection, potions, having a high wisdom, racial bonuses if you can, all that good stuff.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

cast chaotic commands using your priest - it prevents all mental attacks - confusion, stun, charm, etc

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] Well, technically the best way to avoid getting stunned is to avoid enemies at all costs. If that is impossible, try not to get hit.

:p :p :p

5. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Hey! What's up with power word stun when you use the chaotic command defense spell and you are below 90 HP-s? You can't save vs. spell because there is no saving throw against that.

6. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

Strangely, chaotic command couldn't help my character, unfortunately. Looking at his priest spell book again for the millionth time, there's really nothing else that can negate the stun effects.

Nevertheless, getting stunned is the only occasional problem that is unavoidable, at least to me. All other things I can counter if I can anticipate them before hand, except this one. Thankfully, it rarely happens but when it does, it can become close to fatal and there's no one else around to help.

I've already done my best to make sure that my character has as low saving throws as possible. I guess the next best thing for me to do as always is to cast as many damage-absorbing priest spells as I can before any battle just in case. Mostly, I can survive the stun effects' durations (but end up really close to death).

Thank heavens for that sanctuary spell, complete heal spell and the boots of speed for me to run away and heal!

Cowards live to see another day. :p

7. Kezardin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

HunterByNite,

your last message seems to indicate you are soloing.

If not, there are some NPCs who can take the heat :D

- Mazzy is immune to stun while wielding her shortsword.

- Korgan is immune to stun while enraged.

Kez

8. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

Truth be told, after completing SoA with a full party, I decided to play the game again solo with my main character. He's now in ToB, alone still.

Yeah, I'm aware of weapons and the Berserker's wonderful ability to avoid certain spell effects but I can't use them, unfortunately.

Despite many deaths and countless reloads with my solo hero, I am having a lot of fun! (Which is the most important thing). Also, it gives me a chance to have a deeper understanding of the Priest class (my favourite).

ALAS! I have to fight off the almost uncontrollable urge to recruit Jan Jansen everytime I bump into the good gnome, LOL! Some of you think he's weak in several areas (which can be compensated for, actually) but I'll take a fun and lively character rather than a strong but boring one with me any day.

Sure, we'll die a lot but there's always the option to reload. Anyway, soloing can get lonely many times but to quote Minsc:

"Great Fun!"

[This message has been edited by HunterByNite (edited November 20, 2001).]

9. ywpark89 Guest

I'm soloing,too, with a fighter mage. He's in Tob. I created some custom items for him. Yeah, I know it's kinda cheesy, but hey, it's fun! he's a madman with two scmitars and improved haste

10. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Ah, a Fighter/Mage. Since the game is so mage-magic intensive, this class which can fight and cast mage spells at the same time is IMO, one of the best class to solo.

Self-sufficiency is what this class definitely possess, aye? A stone-skinned fighter, imagine! Picture the advantages - after casting timestop, this class unreleashes Greater Whirlwinds, Greater DeathBlows and Critical Strikes! OWCH!

My Fighter/Cleric salutes your Fighter/Mage.

11. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

There are a couple of items that might help you. You didn't mention them, but since you played through once maybe you know already.

1. Greenstone amulet. Of course you will have to go into "stun" city to get it, maybe not such a good idea. :D
    2. There are at least three amulets that improve certain saving throws, I am not sure what stun saves against but there is one that enhances spells, another death and another polymorph
    3. Not sure whether you are a pure cleric or figter multi/dual class. A potion of Invulnerability improves saving throws by 5 but is only usable by fighters or mc/dc fighters.
    4.A feature I only discovered the other day with the potion of Magic Shielding is that all saves are made automatically, it says this in the description but I didn't read it fully. I think you can get these from the potion vendor in SOA in the sewers. Haven't seen these in TOB yet (not finished it)
    It lasts 5 turns.

Normally a throw of 1 will always fail no matter how good (negative :D) your saving throw is, this potion negates that problem.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 22, 2001).]

12. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the pointers, WittyNewt.

Hmm, I believe you were talking about the necklace of form stability and the amulet of spell warding? LOL, truth be told, I cannot seperate myself from the Amulet of Power :p since the reduction of -1 in terms of casting speed is quite essential for my lonely Cleric :( It's not much but even a fraction of a second can make a huge difference...sometimes.

Bless me! I should have stocked up on those potions you mentioned. Honestly, I don't really read potion descriptions carefully (which is really foolish of me). I don't know why but there's something about potions that make me uncomfortable. Weird.

But anyway, that potion you mentioned is really rare, if memory serves. But that could be the remedy to my problems.

Thanks!

13. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

No problem, glad to be of help. Yep, the amulet of power is good, I understand the reluctance.

If you don't mind a little minor cheat, you could add three of them to your character from the console.I am pretty sure the potion seller in the sewers in SOA sells three. Just assume that you did pick them up afterall from him on your way past all those days ago. :)

Item code is POTN35 - Potion of Magic Shielding.

Also, as a solo'er you really should make more use of those potions. There are some great ones out there. Potion of clarity for example is excellent against charm, confusion, chaos etc. :D

Drink adn be merry. ;)

Cheers,

WittyNewt

14. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

LOL! I'll drink to that :)

I'll definitely pay more attention to potions next time (Can't believe I was being so foolish as to ignore them in the first place but I do make use of health and speed potions).

Regarding those charm and confusion hazards, I was glad I earned the Shield of Harmony. That meant freeing up the Chaotic Command spell from my spellbook (except those times when I know the enemy would use 'Sleep' on me, which the Shield cannot protect me from). I really wish that priceless shield would look like the handsome Fortress Shield though :(

Talking about the intelligence-enhancing potion brings MindFlayers to mind. I absolutely find it disgusting to engage them melee-style. Perhaps it's the noise they make, but I find them truly vile. Well, my friends, the Skeleton Warriors would help me out here and if those Flayers' pets, the Umber Hulks charge my Skeletons (very dangerous for my allies as their fists are blunt weapons), the spell 'Storm of Vengeance' will kill them almost instantly.

BBRRRR!!! I shudder now still at the memory of those Ulithids.

[This message has been edited by HunterByNite (edited November 22, 2001).]

15. volkov_2001 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

if somebody gets stunned..... just geta cleric cast remove paralysis....

or a deva/planetar will do....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.