1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prince demogorgon (MAJOR ToB SPOILER)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lokken, May 22, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Am I the only one who this guy to look like a freak running away from a zoo???

He doesn't look scary at all, more like some kinda mop with animal faces

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited May 22, 2001).]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I also think it sucks. They just mixed eagle legs with double baboon head. Is it supposed to make me shiver? LOL!

But, yes, of course, it will be probably resistant to everything 400% and with HP65535. :mad:

3. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

and 18 foot tall

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Let's take a moment to look away from what he looks like because I can assure you, his looks will be the least on your mind when you face this horrid creation of a Demon Lord.

Demogorgon has 200 hit points, -8 Armor Class, has 3 attacks, you need a +2 or better weapon to hit, magical resistance is 95% and that's just the basics.

His gaze alone is like that of an Umber Hulk, able to do it twice a round per head and use this gaze on different characters. Any character not over 15 hit dice or more are automatically effected, those who are 15+ save vs magic.

If it's not that gaze, one head has the ability to gaze at a character with the effects of a Rod of Beguiling which causes all creatures within 20-foot radius to regard Demogorgon as a friend, they love and respect him too. Save vs magic to avoid this effect.

The second head has the ability to cause the character to go insane, but unlikely this will be in ToB and will be something else. Possibly like a powerful hold spell or something else that causes the character imobility.

So once you get past all of that, there are his attacks. Let's look at his tail attack which touch causes level drain of 1d4 levels and dealing out 1d8 points of crushing damage.

On to his tentacles, which cause 1d6 points of damage to any opponent but those opponents which are of lesser stature (humans, dwarves, elves, etc_ will be subject to rot (much like that of a Greater Mummy Rot) and in 6 rounds if it isn't cured, death will come to your door, each hit is cumulative so if you have it once, you can get it again and again and again. Damage taken by that character is permanent and removes 25% of the person's hit points.

Not bad for an opening attack. Gazes can be used anytime while attacking with the tail and tentacles. *shivers*

But we're not done yet.

Demogorgon can use any of these powers at will as many times as he so wishes during battle - Charm Person, Cause Fear, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Detect Invisible Objects, Dispel Magic, Polymorph Self, Charm Monsters, Feeblemind, Power Word Stun, any Symbol Spell.

On top of that, Demogorgon can gate in other demons, 85% chance of success: 50% chance for a type I-IV, 50% chance of gatingi n a type V or VI.

With every demon type gated in, those demons have a chance to gate in their own kind to the battle field.

By far, it'll be a battle worth doing over a few times.

Syl...

5. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you want to see a great picture of him go to the MM first edition. Man everything has got to be so cartoonish these days. It makes me ill.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

KEWL, though the permanent hit point thing sound like it really bites :(

But beyond that, sounds like a really cool battle

oh, BTW, syl, just wondering at a strategi here:
    If we say 2 mages use chain contingency and cast 2x3 lower resistances on it, and afterwards casts another chain contingency with 2x3 abi dalzim horrid wiltin at it. Wouldn't that theoretically kill him?? (if your mages get the time that is)

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited May 22, 2001).]

7. Elebereth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The Prince Demogorgon will probaly not have all of those abilities in TOB. It will probaly be toned down like like the dragons and demons in BG2

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

And as always the Xp-reward of killing him would probably not be more than killing 4 mummies, removing 4 hard traps and unlocking 4 hard locks and memorizing 2 6th level spells.
    Ahhhh Those Hack'n'slash days, where monsterslaying was an honerable and rewarding deed, are long gone.

9. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah, I think he shoots fireballs from his eyes and lightning bolts from his arse.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I agree that it sounds impressive, but IMO they'll have to boost! Demogorgon's abilities if he is going to make for a really tough final(?) fight in ToB.

Just a few examples:
    - He'll need to be immune to Time Stop.
    - He'll need very high resistances to physical attacks (slashing, piercing etc).

- About Demogorgon's Insanity effect.
    They could implement that as having the innate ability to cast Feeblemind.

- Reply to Nobleman:
    What makes you think the xp reward for Demogorgon will be ~15k?
    You got 60k+ for Firkraag. Unless it's the last thing you do in BG/ToB I think the xp reward would be over 100k.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited May 23, 2001).]

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

4 mummies=4x3000 = 12,000
    4 hard traps=4x2750= 11,000
    4 hard locks=4x975= 3,900
    2 6th level spells= 12,000
    all in all around 40,000. Well perhaps He gives twice this. So I'll add the Circus quest too. Its around 40K if playing with 6 PC

12. Elebereth Gems: 2/31

The Demogorgon will probaly be toned down like the Demons and Dragons from BG2.
    He will probaly keep his gaze but I don't see his tentacles causing permanent damage.(Unless the Demogorgon is one of the last enemies you face)

As for strategy, If you had two mages that could cast two level level nine spells why not just cast Imprisonment on him?

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

IT might be a beserker-Demogorgon :D

14. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Also note that encountering Demogorgon by himself would be rather unlikely. He'd probably be accompanied by 2-4 Maximum HP Pit Fiends at least. He is a prince and, unlike a dragon, not likely to be a solitary opponent.

Considering that Demogorgon is worshipped and therefore has the status of a minor diety it is likely they will have to tone him down a bit for the game. (Though there isn't much a 40th level party can't handle)

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] BioWare will have to have been really creative to make the encounters challenging for a party of levels 25-30. A Demon Prince should make players choke in fear but how can you scare such incredible high level characters.

Demogorgon will probably not be alone as you say. I expect something similar to the final Irenicus encounter. There can't be too many demons around him (because of the strain that'd put on the hardware) so don't expect gated demons arriving en masse to defend the Prince of Demons. :p

Maybe Orcus, the Prince of the Undead and eternal enemy of Demogorgon, will show up on our side in such a fight? :D

Nobleman:
    I misunderstood your post about the xp and read it as alternatives and not a sum of all actions. "My bad". :(

16. Elebereth Gems: 2/31

Yeah but Pit Fiends in the game are wimps. Even if the Pit Fiends are more powerful in TOB once you fininsh of the Demogorgon they'll be easy pickings. Unless the Demogorgon has some item you need or want he'll be an easy target for an Imprisonment spell.

If he does have a powerful item then I would maze him and kill whatever companions he has. And use the time left to prepare for the Demogorgon himself. When he escaped the maze I would have a priest cast magic resistance on him lowering his magic resistance. Then it would be simple to pound him with spells like finger of death/Bolt of Glory or Creeping Doom. While my fighters keep him busy.

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Perhaps it will be hard reaching The
    Demo(N)gorgon (or is it Demogorgon??) with the imprisonmentspell. Partially because the casting time is 9 and partially because the range of the mortal (non-innate) version of imprisonment is by touch(so says the rulebook anyway).
    Perhaps there is some silence-barriers that must be penetrated before being able to cast spells at all. Perhaps he/it has some invisibility trikcs up his sleave... The possibilities are endless.

TO EARL:
    I am sorry about the misunderstanding. Sometimes I just feel bad about how much xp lockpicking and trapfinding gives. And spellmemorization for that matter. So I felt a sudden need to mock and complain :(
    Don't take my calculations too serious :D

18. Elebereth Gems: 2/31

Casting time is nothing. Wearing the robe of Vecna and that amulet you get from the Shadow Thieves you can cast it in a second. You do have to touch the victim but geeting to the Demogorgon would be easy with Time stop.

Yes there could be other things that could make him harder but thats just idle speculation. Hopefully he'll have something more powerful then Pit Fiends with him. Maybe a Succubus or Baatezu. Perhaps a couple Undead Beholders and Liches. Or anyone of the new more powerful monsters.

19. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Bolt of glory is perfect for the Demongorgon.
    You don't need to lower it's MR because this spell ignores MR completely.

If you guys say that this creature is so powerful, the good old hack'n slash tactic would be efficent against him (3 warriors) with mage backup(protection spell removing) and priest support with bolts of glory(35-45 damage per bolt).

20. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hey Sylvus, a wonderful story, and it does create some shivers at my spine, but don't forget, with your party, which will probably be level 30 or something, you'll have very, very strong attacks of your own!
    There will probably come spells that can handle all of his attacks as well as high level abillity such as Edwin's Dragon Breath and Sarevok's Smite (all hits dcount as critical for a short period).
    So if your party can come close, he'll get some pretty unpleasent memories to take back to the Abyss!! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.