1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cold spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tony Tulipstomp, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I thought while I was at it, I'd ask about cold spells - Mainly ice storm and cone of cold (Don't know the game well enough if there are other cold based spells)

When I use either of them, and they strike the killing blow, all items are destroyed on the enemy as well. Is this normal?

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yep, the unfortunate consequence og these spells. I like Cone of C. but its not worth casting on enemis with low hp :( but good at the start. Ice storm is fun but not damaging enough IMO

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I first saw this is SoA when that dwarf was killed by the cone of cold from the pedestal wand. But you know, it would of REALLY helped if i remembered that situation, as many times throughout ToB i used a cold spell on a really tough enemy right as they were at death's door and guess what ... NO ITEMS!

Soooooo frustrating!

4. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

yeah if you strike a defining blow or make the chance of freezing them or whatever the detail is. I'm not sure what it is exactly. they shatter and you lose the stuff. doesn't happen as often with Ice storm as cone of cold. multiple cones of cold cast from multiple mages though can do a large ammount of damage even to dragons over the space of about 4 turns though. Just make sure you hit them with a lower resistance first. Two if you want to see them explode.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yep, if a creature suffers massive damage when dying, his body is damaged badly and ressurection is impossible! This occurs whenever a creature's HP is reduced by a killing blow to -10 or less. This can occur to NPCs as well so beware! This also happens very frequently on insane difficulty. The effects are:

Pyschial Damage:Chunky death, smashed into tiny chunks of meat. Backstabs, critical hits, and really strong attacks (from a dragon, golem, or kensai) can cause this occasionally. Kill a goblin with a hefty backstab and see it yourself. Items are NOT lost though the body is nowhere to be found and res. is impossible.

Fire&Lightning: These burn and toast, making the body char-coal. Res. is impossible, this can happen occasionally when an unprotected NPC fails a save vs breath against a dragon's fiery inferno. Or, throw a fireball to a horde of goblins and have fun.

Cold:The body is frozen solid, it makes nice statues. If the statue is damaged or after a few seconds, it is shattered into tiny pieces and thus res. is impossible. All items are also frozen and shattered. Can happen with Cone of Cold and Silver Dragon Breath. Launch a Cone of Cold on a goblin horde and watch them shatter!

Acid:The body is humiliated badly and res. is impossible. I didn't see a distinct difference on the body though. Happens frequently when battling special mod dragons. :'( (or so I think)

Level Drain:If a creature is drained massively, it will just dissapear into nothingness, leaving a dark cloud (as if petrified and shattered) I guess items are destroyed too but I can not recall. Happen occasionaly when you try to take a Shadow Dragon with a lvl 9 party. :D

Magic:Strangely, magic damage does not damage the body parts so Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting can NOT kill a victim permanently. This is good cos in tactics mods, most of your NPCs die because of the massive damage of ADHW. (40d8 is heavy if you play on insane) Always let your NPCs die because of the ADHW if they are low on HP, less they may be gone for good and you may need to reload.

Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone: Similarly, these spells reduce to body into dust (disintegrate) or make a statue (FtS), if the statue takes any damage, it will shatter. Either way, both the creature and items are gone for good. :( Too bad, this fact really limits the use of these nasty combat spells. Though you can Stone to Flesh a petrified victim, it will have 1 HP, and if you kill it normally you will get the XP reward again! Absolutely useful with dragons due to massive XP boost! And then you can loot too!

Finger of Death: I am not sure if it is true, but it may be a bug that this spell does not kill permanently. It DID in IWD games so it was very horrific. It does not kill permanently in BG2, victim can always be raised. Why the difference?

Anyway, hope these informations are helpful to you. :p

6. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Hmm I didn't know, that items was destroyed by cold damage. Does this also aply to quest based items?

7. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

No, I froze that shadow dragon around umar hills and only the scale survived. :( Just sucks that disintigrate has disclaimer on poofing eq, but cold spells don't

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

you managed to get the Scale off him? The scale is always the one i lose no matter what when I chunk Dragons. So the items must make saves or something.

9. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I think quest-related items like keys can't be destroyed, but any other item (money, scales etc.) has some relatively high percentage chance to get destroyed.

I once disintegrated the Elder Brain, and the only thing that remained was the blood.

10. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Speaking of ice and cold spells, don't you think there should've been some water spells? I think they would have been cool.. :)

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

ADHW is a water spell - of sorts...

12. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

More anti-water

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yeah...which is a pity seeing as there's hardly ANY water based enemies in the game, let alone worth using ADHW on...

If only it was an anti-undead or anti-fire based spell... :D :D :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.