1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most out of Merchants

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Do other people save up expensive items and only sell them to merchants that give you the best price? I know I do. In fact, from my experience, the best merchant in the game is definitely the one in in Shaugin City. He gives the best return for your items - a 50% increase from most other merchants in the game. The worst I have found is the gnomes in the southern area of the underdark (the ones that sell the Freedom scrolls). They give you typically 23% less than what you get at most other places.

I always save up items to sell for the best price as I have the Item Upgrade Mod, and always have tons of stuff I want to buy from the Adventurer's Mart and from Cromwell upon returning from the Underdark. I consider the prices you get in Athkatla to be the "base" price on selling an item. The way I figure this out is when you trade with the merchant I always look at what they offer to buy from you that you know has a fixed value.

I usually use a 1st level scroll as my set point. In Athkatla, provided you haven't sold any scrolls of that exact same type to a merchant previously, he typically offers you 30 gp for a 1st level scroll. So this is the "base price" for a 1st level scroll. However, if you go to Shaugin City, that same first level scroll is worth 45 gp - 50% more than what it is worth back in Athkatla. Similarly, items that are worth far more than 30 gp give you a far greater return on your money. Somthing worth 3000 gp now sells for 4500 gp for example. To take it to the other extreme, that same 1st level scroll that you could sell in Athkatla for 30 gp, but is worth 45 gp in Shaugin City, is worth only 23 gp if you try to sell it to the gnomes in the Underdark. Am I the only one who is this fanatical about this game?

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I think like that, but my area is in spells, skills and item/equipment combinations.

Here's something new. Who/What and where is this merchant in the Sahaugin City?

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It's the Sahuagin priestess, in the north western area of the city.

I also noticed that she is the best person to sell things to. But no, I don't save valuables just for this moment. I usually sell things immediately in chapter 2 and 3. After the Bag of Holding in chapter 4, then the odd trinket might be saved for that shop. Hmmm... I think you have found me another purpose for gem bags!

I didn't notice the Underdark store buys back for less. Rats, I usually sell things there too. I wonder if it matters whether you are in drow disguise or not? I did realize they offer more stock whether you are drow, but I didn't take note of the prices.

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I suppose if money was really tight in the game I might make a point of trying to find which merchants are the cheapest and sell exclusively to them. But I generally finish the game with so much leftover cash that I haven't been able to spend that trekking miles to the best merchant doesn't seem worth it.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

The Sahuagin trader is actually "broken", as you can make money by buying from her and then selling it back (assuming you have high enough charsisma and reputation).

I do hoard items and sell them where I know I'll get the best deals.

6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Why dont you just sell stuff to the gnomish thief merchant that appears in the SE corner of Waukeens at night and steal it back, and sell it again, and repeat over and over and over... (hey, if its in the game its not cheating IMO)

Or better yet, use SK :evil:

7. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I just sell my stuff whenever i don't need it anymore, but i usually don't look where i sell them, so thanks, i never knew there are differences between % :1eye:

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The Sahugin merchant isn't really the priestess. It's in the extreme northwest corner of the map. West of where the priestess gives you the tooth.

Also, the merchants in Ust Natha are variable as well. The first one as soon as you enter (the scroll merchant) has the same prices as most of the merchants in Athkatla. It's the magic weapons merchant who buys for less.

9. Void Gems: 10/31

The sahugin is a pristess, just not one the THE priestesses (the important ones, that is). I've found that the smugglers in TOB (in Balthazar's town, can't remember the name) also buy for more than they sell. Of course, no one here would exploit a 'bug' in the game to gain cash, right?

10. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31

Can someone pls send me a list of best "returning" merchants and worst?

11. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There is also a merchant elf woman in Suldanesselar who also buys things at much higher price. She appears after you summon the avatar.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.