1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Clerics vs Druids

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Thalantyr, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Mirkwood Guest

Priest spells only for cleric (level/spell):

1 Command Word Die
    1 Magical Stone
    1 Protection from Evil
    1 Remove Fear
    1 Sanctuary
    2 Aid
    2 Chant
    2 Draw Upon Holy Might
    2 Hold Person
    2 Silence 15' Radius
    2 Spiritual Hammer
    3 Animate Dead
    3 Glyph of Warding
    3 Holy Smite
    3 Remove Curse
    3 Remove Paralysis
    3 Unholy Blight
    3 Zone of Sweet Air
    4 Free Action
    4 Holy Power
    4 Lesser Restoration
    4 Mental Domination
    4 Protection from Evil 10' Radius
    5 Champion's Strength
    5 Flame Strike
    5 Greater Command
    5 Raise Dead
    5 Repulse Undead
    5 Righteous Magic
    5 Slay Living
    6 Aerial Servant
    6 Blade Barrier
    6 Bolt of Glory
    6 False Dawn
    6 Sol's Searing Orb
    7 Finger of Death
    7 Gate
    7 Holy/Unholy Word
    7 Greater Restoration
    7 Resurrection
    7 Sunray
    7 Symbol, Stun
    7 Symbol, Death
    7 Symbol, Fear

Priest spells only for druid:

1 Entangle
    2 Goodberry
    3 Call Lightning
    3 Hold Animal
    3 Summon Insects
    4 Call Woodland Beings
    5 Insect Plague
    5 Iron Skins
    5 Pixie Dust
    6 Conjure Fire Elemental
    6 Dolorous Decay
    6 Fire Seeds
    7 Conjure Earth Elemental
    7 Creeping Doom
    7 Nature's Beauty (best spell ever! trust me ;))

Druid's get less spells but I like to think of it as quality over quantity ;)

2. DRUIDS!!!...I love them more than clerics.Why?..because they have offense and defense equally.They can summon creatures.

3. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hello, me good smilin' friends!

Conjure animals for Druids, you say?

Hhmm...funny though. My Fighter/Cleric has that spell in his repertoire of destruction too. Pity that the Druid cannot summon Skeleton warriors (if memory serves). These magic resistant and normal-weapon immune guys are better than animals depending on the situation.

BTW, have you ever noticed that when the Skeleton Warriors are engaged in combat, they sound exactly like Bruce Lee?

Even though I prefer Clerics, it's not because I think they are better than Druids, no (though they can be depending on the situation and how you manage them). As someone mentioned above, it all depends on how you play the game.

IronSkin is really priceless, though. Viewed with this spell in mind, a Druid and a Cleric with exact equal stats (same THAC0, AC, etc), the Druid will be better in melee (after taking into consideration other melee-enhancing spells like Draw upon Holy Might, Armor of Faith, etc which both can cast, with Righteous Magic as the exception).

But when it comes to gibbing Liches just by standing around and doing nothing, guess who's the king?

Both can be good if we play them well and know their strengths and weaknesses, yes? There is only one spell that my solo Cleric fears if he does not have a Protection from Magic scroll though: Imprisonment.

I can't remember if that spell bypasses magic-resistance, but even with DeathWard, the guarantee is fickle (I don't even think DeathWard can stop Imprisonment in the first place and no amount of magic resistance can prevent my Cleric from seeing the Death-Scene most times).

That's the only spell I believe a Druid should fear too if going through the game alone.

Look ma! My first post here and I'm a Watcher!

Waitaminute! I can't find this creature in the BG creatures list. What the hell am I anyway?

[Try to cast Wizard Eye sometime. ;)] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 17, 2001).]

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] Take a MC Ranger/Cleric and get both of their spells! You can also hide in shadows AND turn undead. You can also wear ANY armor you want! This class is very very useful! You have a one stop priest shop! Only drawbacks are the inability to shapechange(I never really did that anyway) and the weapon restrictions for the cleric. But then along comes Mr.Crom Fayer! Really, this class is fun to play. I'm taking mine through BG1 right now. Also the turn undead combined with the hide in shadows could be a deadly weapon. Sneak up on that unsuspecting lich!

5. ywpark89 Guest

Me, too... I have an MC r/c wearing shurppak's plate +2, and wielding Crom Fayer in left, and either Runehammer +5, or Flail of the Ages +5 in right. I don't wear the Holy symbol, because the STR bonus is gone due to Crom. I ahve 2 rings of gaxx from pickpocketing instead.

6. Lord Sarevok Guest

For even more fun try a DC Stalker/Cleric! Dual him at level 12 so you get the extra mage spells. This guy is a swiss army knife! You can't wear anything better than leather but there is plenty of magical leather in the game, and I think backstabbing with the Crom Faeyer is worth it!

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] cleric. i dualled mine at level 9 fighter and he doesn't just lag behind keldorn and valygar -- he leads them.

8. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Hmmm, I didn't think you could dual the ranger kits. Quite possibly wrong here, haven't got the game handy to check. Of course, you could always hack to a stalker kit with SK :D.

I am also not sure whether stalkers can backstab with anything other than thief class weapons, so maybe a hammer is out?

Anyone tried it?

Cheers,

WittyNewt

9. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

I'm quite sure that you can only dual a pure Ranger (what are they afraid of, corrupted blood?) to something else.

I've already tried a Ranger dualled to a Cleric at level 10 and WOW! All priest spells and that valuable IronSkin!

This class kicks behinds! Seriously, I'm beginning to think that this class is better than my original multi-classed Fighter/Cleric and it shows.

[This message has been edited by HunterByNite (edited November 23, 2001).]

10. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

Yep that combo is good. I created a ranger/cleric a week or so back. He is still languishing in the first dungeon. played him through the first level and he was good :).

I noticed he has access to both druid and cleric spells in his spellbook even though he is only lvl 7. Nice bug.

Haven't got time to play him yet though due to the four(!) other games I have running.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 23, 2001).]

11. Sir Slayer Gems: 1/31

I vote for clerics - their spells are as good as Druids', but they can wear better armor, have better kits and wider choice of weapons.

12. void Guest

Druids!!! They get grater elemental summoning and they can raise dead (mass raise dead) the only problem is that they lack restoration...

Cheers, Void

13. HunterByNite Gems: 1/31

Why not have the best of both worlds by dual-classing a Ranger to a Cleric?

Verily I saith unto Thee: "Only by doing so will we experience peace and end this conflict."

Sooo...put your hands in the air and say Ah Yeah!

14. Thalantyr Guest

[​IMG] I picked a Druid.

i have a Nice Shield(forgot the name)
    Black Dragon Scale (the best leather i can find)
    a Scimatar+3
    and he is right behind my fighters. backing them up. He has amazing resistances i just love him. i love the black leather armour look. I only Miss a couple of Cleric spells, but other then that i think ill replace my fighter for a Ranger.
    So my party will end up being:
    Druid
    Ranger DC Cleric (was a fighter)
    Fighter DC Mage
    Assassin

From this: (my old party)
    Cleric
    Fighter
    Fighter
    Mage
    Thief
    Monk

I like my new party much better
    Sorry for posting back kinda late.
    I been busy and i dont have any free time
    besides Sunday. Ill see everyone around.
    Adios.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

A great weapon I found for my druid (Jaheria) is the club of detonation. the only side effect I found is the unfortunate fireball that (if used in a town or near allies) can harm the innocent. She is dual weilding that and the Spectral Brand. Great FUN!

16. ywpark89 Guest

Clerics. (equip crom fayer, a shield, ring of gaxx, holy symbol, Shurrpak's plate, and other goodys, drink Oil of speed, and watch enemies explode!)

17. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Cleric all the way. Can use any weapon a druid can, and has no *wooden only* weapon restrictions. A druid is pretty useless, and if all that's available is a choice of shapeshifting into a fluffy bear or using a nature-esque quarter-staff, then that druid deserves to be skewered by the first *insert any other class type here* character to come along.
    Put it this way...I would even take...uggggh....Anomen...or *gasp* Haer'Dalis over a druid! *shudders*. What a horrid thought! ;)

18. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That was quite clearly wrong. Clerics being able to use any weapon a druid can, that is. There's no 'wooden weapon only'-restriction in the BG-series. Druids can use scimitars, at least some wakizashis, daggers and spears, and maybe some more that I can't remember, all which a cleric cannot use (anyone remember the Anomen and the spear debate?;)).

Druids are definately not useless. Refer to my post above for reasons. I have two in my party (me and Jaheira), along with Ano, Haery and Jan. The party rocks, as almost any party does if played correctly.

19. mannedoc Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Depends on what you want. IMHO I don’t like both, pure druid and cleric. Rather have them as dual or multi class. Use them as secondary actors. A druid is more offensive, so can be a good fighter, a f/d. While a cleric can be an excellent spells shop, I use them as c/m, and with Crom Fayr or the Flail of Ages and a shield can do serious fighting either. I use them both. However, if what you want is a main actor fighting or doing what ever, then go for the ranger/cleric, either, dual or multi, that way you have some of the best of both worlds in one character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.