1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ability score placement

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Void, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I need some advice on ability score placement for a new fighter/mage (half-elven). I've managed to roll up a 91 and I plan to take him through the entire Baldur's Gate saga. I'm wondering exactly how I should place my scores... I especially need to know how much charisma is needed in BG1 and what sort of wisdom/intellignece you need to get good wish abilities.

EDIT: Oops, just realised that I actually rolled 94 :D

[ July 20, 2004, 09:57: Message edited by: Void ]

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Elf Fighter/Mage with 94 points, BG1 to ToB.
    Str 18
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 18
    Wis 15
    Cha 7

If you use all the tomes in BG1 the starting SoA stats would be:
    Str 19
    Dex 20
    Con 18
    Int 19
    Wis 18
    Cha 8

Then you give up Dex both in the test and in Hell, bringing your dex back to 18. The difference between 18 and 19 dex is a +1 bonus to missile fire and at that stage you don't need that bonus.

Make sure you have 18 wisdom for casting Wish. If you don't want to use Wish you can set wisdom as low as you want.

(Edited: Fixed the elven constitution.)

[ July 20, 2004, 12:37: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

3. Balduran's Boot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

That depends on what did you take the fighter for.
    Archery or something else?

4. Earl Grey

You'll have 19+ dex until the end of SoA.
    At that point your THAC0 will be good enough that whether your missile bonus is +2 (dex 18) or +3 (dex 19) is quite irrlevant.

5. Telcontar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You will need higher CHA, cause you cant get the ring of human influence till SoA... The way i would do it...

STR 18
    DEX 19 ( Half Elven 18)
    CON 17 ( Half Elven 18)
    INT 15
    WIS 13
    CHA 12
    If you get all the thomes in BGI, your stats would be

6. Earl Grey

Why give the character a medium wisdom (13) and charisma (12)?

If you're not going to use wish spells then you might as well drop wisdom much lower.

Intelligence should really start at 18 for a mage. With 19 you can learn all spells and you want to get it as high as possible to avoid scribing failure.

7. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thanks for the advice!

I've gone with the following configuration...

I'll just use some high-charisma NPC for item purchasing until I get the lovely ring....

I'll sacrifice wisdom in spellhold, but it'll get bumped back to 18 at the end of SOA, seeing I plan to take the good path...

EDIT: WHoo! New gem...

8. Earl Grey

Good plan!

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

18 all the way with the exception of Dex? Neat :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.