1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most powerful PC made

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Wiegraf Folles, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I didn´t read the last posts cuz you said something [snip] (offensive word removed by myself.)

Yes, I create a new character EACH time.
    I used my first character another time the second time I played the game, got tired really fast and made a new one.
    I mean since I was immune to +1 weapons and less there wasn´t much that could hurt me... Which brings me to the next thing.
    "It was no easy task"
    Not even with a new, uncheated, character is the BG games hard. It gets childishly easy with a character that you have already completed the game with.
    Especially if you have completed the game 15 times with him...

I wouldn´t call you a cheater though if you did this the honest way. But I never thought I see one that wouldn´t get bored by doing it.
    Jealousy, yeah... If we didn´t want a challenge while playing, which is hard enough with a normal character, we could do this aswell.

What you probably dont realize is that most of us has completed the game alot more than 15 times.

[Edit]
    If pure fighter was the only appealing class you probably should go look for another game.

2. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Must decline your advice, Duke. BG2 is one of my favorite games.

3. Davaeorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Wow, I'm confused...

The ONLY class that appealed to you was a plain, flavorless fighter? Why not at least take berserker? No abilities other than HLAs at higher levels? Bah.

4. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

Hey, I also said in one of my last posts that i might use some kind of mage as well

And we got way off-topic. The point was to put info for our strongest characters, not to call me a cheater, or tell me to go find another game

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wiegraf, it might help if you went and edited your first post to something along the lines of "Yep, I'm cheating. What's the most powerful PC you can with cheating?" You'd get a lot less stick.

Let's look at this from a desperately-trying-not-to-accuse-the-cheater-of-cheating point of view: you played through BG1, BG2 and TOB and then you went and took your finishing TOB character - 40th level as I'm assuming you're soloing - and started again at the beginning of the game? And you *don't* think this is cheating?

Setting aside the fact that you quite clearly cheated whether you want to admit it or not didn't it get a bit boring playing Irenicus' dungeon with a 40th level PC? You could wade through the entirety of SOA with a 40th level PC and not run into a single enemy who could take you down. Cheating aside, weren't you bored to tears?

Try using Shadowkeeper next time to give your 56,000,000 HPs and some +25 full plate armour and a +15 long sword. You'll be closer to the idea of not cheating than by the method you've been using.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Didn't you say legitimate?

Fine, here's mine:
    HP: 65,535
    AC: -865
    Immune to +15 Weapons and Less
    100% Immune to all forms of damage
    ***** in Everything.
    -560 ALL saves
    25 ALL scores

I didn't use SK to do that, either. Does that make it legitimate? I don't think so.

7. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well i would put something witty here, but honestly i have never used any cheats nor done anything as lame as replaying 20X to get good stats and such, and i have never even installed any mods or patches sooooooo my character would probably be buggy anyways :D

but yes, what he did makes him a cheater, but honestly as long as i myself am not tempted to be the idiotic cheater who no longer enjoys the game because he has played it through with one character 20X over, then im all good, wow what a mouthful by the way.

8. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

@Rastor if even half of those stats you just put were normally obtainable, i might actually take you seriously. And what do the tomes have to do with anything other than ability scores?

@Cadderly who says i dont enjoy the game?

@ david w and everyone else, cheating is using mods or SK, not playing through several times like i did. Just because i don't play the same way you guys do...

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Wiegraf

I think we are talking past each other. And I'm going to try really hard not to use the "C" word here. You are on a forum filled with die-hard BG fans. You are talking about some really serious players here. People who have been playing this game since it came out what, 4 years ago now? Part of the intrinsic attraction of this game is 1.) It's replayability with different characters and parties and 2.) The storyline. Point 1) is obvious. Let me try to give you an explanation of point 2 because that's the part you seem to be missing. You start off as a character with no adventuring experience in Candlekeep. You don't know what to do, where to go, and most importantly you don't know what you are. This eventually leads you to a path of power where you rival the gods and can possibly become one yourself. Each and every step along that journey is important.

What I'm saying is by going back and starting again, you are ruining the character development that made the game so appealing in the first place. I mean, you're what, level 40? And a typical fighter leaving Irenicus's Dungeon is about level 9? It's not even a comparison really. Part of the fun is deciding what to do first, in what order, who to bring with you, how you want to roleplay (or how you want to powergame depending on your preferences). With your character, all of that is gone, because he is as good upon leaving Irenicus's Dungeon as he will be the entire game. The only limiting factor you have in the entire game is not having 15,000 gp upon leaving Irenicus's Dungeon. Other than that, you're set. You need no companions, you need only the bare minimum of equipment, and you are good to go, because your character is so much better than the designers ever intended you to be at that point in the game.

The people on this board look upon you with horror, as you commit what in many people's eyes is viewed as an egregious act. You rip the soul and spirit out of the game and make it a simple walk in the park. Honestly, is there anything in SoA that you find even remotely challenging? The demi-lich? Not unless you don't have a +4 weapon and a protection from magic scroll, both of which are available at the Adventurer's Mart. Irenicus? Hardly, as he's spell based and you are mostly immune to magic at this point, even if you don't have the cloak that stops magic damage.

To many people, you are circumventing the very thing that made this a great game. They cannot understnad why you would do this, and above all, they do not understand why you would consider this fun. That's the first point in gaming - we play because we enjoy it. And the people here cannot understand why you would want to ruin the great deal of enjoyment you could get from this game but that you deprive yourself of by playing it the way you do. Really, we're just trying to show you the light.

Oh, and since no one said this yet:

Welcome to the boards!

*snicker* (Sorry I couldn't resist>)

Edit: This is the part that really got you in trouble.

Even if you don't consider it a cheat, every serious BG fan would consider starting over a significant modification of the spirit of the game. So you kind of did modify your character, by allowing him to go through many times instead of just once.

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Hey, just out of curiosity, did you take off the experiance capp? What level did you get to if you did? Did you stay at level 40 every time through.

11. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I hardly believe that anyone plays P&P and everytime they finish a large adventure, they get plus to all stats, resistances etc. Why play through such a big game if you don't enjoy it anyway? Man, people have too much spare time..

12. david w Gems: 19/31

From Wiegraf:

Of course you're cheating! You're starting the game with a PC strong enough to finish TOB. How can that possibly NOT be cheating?

You know, if this were a month later I'd half expect you to turn round right now and shout "April fool! Gotcha!" But the fact that we're now in March and you're clearly cheating the hell out of the game and don't even seem to realise it... words just fail me.

Answer me this: what kind of satisfaction do you get out of playing a game that is no challenge whatsoever to you?

13. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

It isn't cheating its just immensely boring and unchallenging. A definition of cheating is to violate rules deliberatly - playing the game through over and over is not violating rules of this game since all of the bonuses are a legit part of the game. Therefore it is incredibly dull to do this, as using various classes is what has kep't me interested for so long - but why doesn't everybody stop trying to scare of newbies on the Boards - its this type of crap from people that keeps me out of the Alley.

14. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

And what satisfaction do you get out of playing with the same boring vanilla fighter more than 15 times? For that matter, what even possessed you to do such a thing? And I thought my life was boring.

Ahhhh the days of P&P, when people would bring uber-characters into a campaign and the DM (me)put them to the test. I miss those days.

<edit>: You're kidding, right Malovae? Wiegraf brought all this upon himself. Remember Ask Abizigal? He did the exact same thing.

15. david w Gems: 19/31

Actually I'd say starting a game aimed at 7th level PCs with a 40th level PC with maxed out stats and HPs is deliberate violating the rules.

It's certainly not intended for people to finish the game then run through it again like this.

16. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

I was gone for about 2 hours, had to shovel snow, and couldnt connect. Now i'll address each post in order.

@Aldeth well, the point is, I still enjoy the game the way i play it, even if you may not

@jaguar I didnt remove exp. cap(i consider THAT cheating) Once i got to lvl 40, that's where i remained (in French; J'y suis, J'y reste)

@david w i like it because there are enemies that are tough (Improved bhaalspawn battles [Abazigal battle, 2 dragons]) even with my character the way he is.

@Malovae were you saying you thought i was trying to scare off newbies? cause i wasnt. (Didnt know there were still newbies this long after it came out)

@Spelladonna i like fighters better than anything else, thats why

@david w you play your way, I'll play mine, agreed?

and if you're not supposed to put the characters through the game again, what is import/export used for?

Hopefully we can put this behind us, after all, its only a game

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    An explanation here:

Suggests a legitimate character, which remains in direct contradiction with the way your character was built.

I don't care if people cheat or not. I just don't like when people do and claim they don't do. We could argue as to what cheating is, but the character is far from "WITHOUT cheats or modifiers or anything."

Everything else has already been said by people before me. So let this topic die.

[ March 16, 2004, 23:26: Message edited by: chevalier ]

18. david w Gems: 19/31

There's also a cheat function built into the game but it doesn't mean you have to use it.

19. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31

Just because its not the way you guys play doesnt make it cheating. As with any RPG there is more than one way to play

20. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Right. And some ways suck.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.