1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is there someone using the "Improved Anvil" mod?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lionheart, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Lionheart Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I thought at first this is just something like "item-upgrade"MOD...and it seems now,that I have made a great mistake......SOS......
    so many enhanced battles...has anyone tryed for example Twisted Rune with this MOD?
    Any hint with fighting tough opponents will be welcome...I think BG2 is more difficult than IWD2,although there's lot of people saying that IWD2 is for advanced players of BG2?Why...

[ September 14, 2006, 00:03: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Improved Anvil version 3 will be released within 2 or 3 days.

The difficulty of the Twisted Rune battle is decreased (a bit) in the new version of the mod. You shouldn't go for that quest too early in the game if you have Improved Anvil (even the new forthcoming version).

Lots of new features are also added to the mod.

You won't need to start a new game after updating the mod from v2 to v3. Just keep checking the mod's forum on the next few days. The new version will be released soon. I will also announce its release here in this forum.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm actually thinking about installing this mod for my next run-through, so I'm looking forward to reading more comments in this thread. (Or maybe someone will do a review :) )

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yes a full detailed review would be nice. The more I hear about this mod, the more I want to try it! Is it harder than tactics? :shake:

5. Sikret Gems: 13/31

In general, yes, it is harder than Tactics. But it also adds powerful new items to the game (the items should be forged by Cromwell). Everything depends on the player's general strategy in choosing which item upgrades he wants to do and in which order. Playing this mod requires thinking a lot.

Furthermore, it is worth mentioning that only 7 components of Tactics are incompatible with Improved Anvil. Hence, you can practically have both of these mods while playing the game.

6. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Why,do really so many people think that this kind of difficulty enhancing MOD so nice?I can not believe it...I used 1 and a half hour to clean up the copper coronet...it was just irritating!

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Problem is, as I stated before, tactics is my very first mod, if I uninstall a component from it, Weidu will uninstall all my mods, and then re-install all of them, which will take so long and in truth I fear it can even lead to problems and bugs.

Which components of tactics are incompatible? Or do I have to check the readme...I have downloaded it and wrote it on a CD somewhere...umm.

@Lionheart

Well, pal, maybe we are masochists? :shake: No, seriously, I love my battles being tactical challenges in which I have to think and act fast/smart in order to survive, rather than...pure and easy hack&slash.

8. Sikret Gems: 13/31

First, I should clarify one point: Improved Anvil is a mod for experienced players. This much is true and certain.

Second, when I said "playing this mod requires thinking a lot", I was quite serious. In fact, the main purpose was to make players think at every stage. I was not merely talking about thinking to choose the item upgrades. Actually, an experienced player can win all of the enhanced battles even without any of the new and powerful items. For example, thetruth (who is a very experienced player and most of you know him) has won most of the mod's enhanced battles without using the mod's new items. However, the new items (if chosen and forged with a good strategy, can help the average player).

@Silverstar
    1- Uninstalling a few components of Tactics won't harm your game.
    2- The new version of IA is on the way; hence the one you have copied on a CD is going to be useless in the near future.
    3- The 7 components of Tactics which are incompatible with IA are as follows:
    - Improved Torgal
    - Smarter Dragons
    - Improved Irenicus
    - Improved Guarded Compound
    - Improved Oasis
    - Slightly Smarter Liches
    - Improved Twisted Rune

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I'll state it again Improved Anvil is a nice mod (for me) wich really enhances the overall gaming experience.

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I expressed an interest in reviewing IA in the Mod Reviews section, but as that appears to be seldom visited in comparison to here, I'll repeat what I wrote.

I haven't played Tactics or Item Upgrade so I wanted to know whether people would want to a read a review from that view-point or whether you would all prefer to wait for a person who has played both. Personally, I feel it may be wise to wait, but I'll do it if there is an interest.

Apologies to Lionheart for partially hijacking his thread.

11. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Decados,

It will be very nice if you write a review or even help me prepare a complete walkthrough for IA V3.0.

Please see this topic too.

Let me know if you decide to do it. Thanks!

@Shaitan

Thank you.

12. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Surely this IA makes player to think.
    It again took me maybe 1 and a half hour to take care of Shade Lord in Temple ruin.I feel this is not for low level party?Should I do chapter 3 or even more first?I am using Xzar(TDD),his HP is really very low and ADHW or three MM sequencer can easily kill him,and without mage to use some dispelling magics(breach and pierce magic most importantly),this Shade Lord looked just cool!And about the shadow dragon,I don't know what kind of protection it has,or maybe no protection at all?With 18STR+Two handed sword+3 I could only do 1 point damage to him?Haha,well,I prefer Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition,even the Dante Must De mode is better than this!
    This is MOD I think is just for those who has lot of time and incredible patience(maybe they don't work in daytime?),to think and try different tactics with various opponents.It might be good,but it's not for someone who just wants to have fun with these games.Sigh......

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    ^ The more experienced players have ways of getting around problems rather than rushing in and hoping that tried and tested tactics will still work. After all, if you cannot cast Breach you cannot cast level 5 spells. If so, why are you taking on a dragon? Level 5 spells are not necessary by any means, but they tend to indicate a party experience level sufficient to kill dragons and the like.

Upon reflection, I have decided that it would probably be best if I was to play through Tactics and Item Upgrade before Improved Anvil. This would let me make a better comparison, as well as get me in the frame of mind for cheesy opponents. :p

By the time I have done all that, if there is still no review posted, I will probably make the attempt. Thank you for the encouragement Sikret.

14. Arawn Gems: 4/31

I really wonder why so many people complains about difficulty enhancing mods being to hard, cheesy etc, if you didn’t like it harder why did you install it? It’s seems like complaining about sugar being to sweet.

Sikret,
    in what way is Anvil harder then Tactics? And I assume you can simply pick the tactics part of the mod and mix it with item upgrade?

15. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Silverstar asked a general question and I gave a general reply. Perhaps, it's better to say that the two mods are "different". But if one insists on having a comparison between the two mods, then we have to say that the enhanced battles of IA are a bit harder than those of Tactics mod. One other point is that the enhanced battles and tactical challenges added to the game by Improved Anvil are numerically more than those of Tactics mod.

Improved Anvil has its own item upgrades. It will not work in conjunction with Weimer's Item Upgrade mod and is not compatible with it. The item upgrades of Improved Anvil are also numerically more than those of Weimer's Item Upgrade.

16. Arawn Gems: 4/31

I got the part when you said it was harder. I wondered in what way. Are the encounters just beefed up with more spells, hit points and contingencies, or is the enemy AI more effective?

I haven't played Item upgrade but I liked the idea of compiling items that just takes up space in your bag of holding and beefing up underrepresented items. At the same time I'm always interested in tactical challenges that is smarter not just harder.

17. Sikret Gems: 13/31

The enhanced battles of the mod are of diverse and different kinds. In some of them, you will face new enemies which were not there at all in the original game. In some of them, they are the same enemies who act more intelligently and/or have more spells and abilities in their repertoire. In some others, you even face brand new species of monsters.

Strongholds are also enhanced so that you will see different things (including both challenges and bonuses) if you play the game with different classes. (Multiple Stronghold mod will not affect this condition; hence, to see some of the new things you will need to play the game with certain classes. )

Many more features are added to the mod in the forthcoming version which will be released within one or two days.

18. Exor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

One of the biggest changes (for me) is that the IA improved mages (especially copper coronet & planar sphere) refresh all their spells and protections when you leave/reenter their sightrange or rest.

Although some weapons are freakish strong... Judgement Day (okay 250.000g and...) but once you have it your fighter is invulnerable (Demogorgon can't damage him :/.. I mean...).

Personally I would have preffered to get those upgradecomponents from fully new monsters instead of those alreay excisting (Lavok & Torgal drop Judgement Day components). There are many so empty houses that really wait to get filled with new guys. zB. Opposite aligned adventure groups that want to rebuild judgement day. Cowled wizard attack on a mage that...

19. Sikret Gems: 13/31

If you rest or leave the area, they will refresh their spells. But if you leave their sight-range, they won't refresh their spells. They will hunt you and will try to find you in the area. If they fail to find you in a certain duration of time (which means that you have left the area or have shut the doors) they will refresh their spells. (EDIT: Even if you leave the area for a short period of time and return quickly, they will not refresh their spells.)
    In the forthcoming version of the mod, having this particular sword has its own dangers and attracts the attention of a Demon Prince. It has two new encounters and a plot which is worth seeing and playing. Making the sword is also more difficult in IA v3.0

EDIT:

There are two important points about this specific sword's powers:

1- The high price (250,000 gp) required to make this sword indirectly weakens your party; because to make this sword, you need to save money and to forgo making other items (specially for your other party members)

2- The effects triggered by this sword are random every round, which means that it depends on your luck whether it will save you in a very hard battle or not.

[ September 15, 2006, 14:23: Message edited by: Sikret ]

20. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I definitely recommend the I.Anvil mod.

Anyone who is looking for a mod which adds a lot of challenging encounters and content in the game (much more than the Tactics or other similar mods do) should give it a try.
    The improved enemies (especially mages) use very intelligent scripts and the AI is improved a lot (Sikret has made an excellent job).Many battles can be even more difficult than those of the Tactics mod especially if faced by a low-level party.But I think that an experienced player,especially if he uses the new weapons/items added by the mod,will not have many problems.

As for incompatibilities with some other mods or some of their components (like the Tactics mod),personally, I don't consider it a problem and I.Anvil worths it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.