1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can you beat Firkraag on your first encounter ???

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TelexStar, Oct 10, 2000.

1. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Is it possible to defeat Firkraag on your first encounter with him when you are doing the Windspear Hills quest given to you by Anomen in chapter 2 ????

I know he gives you the option to leave without a fight, but I was just wondering.

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Depends what level you are when you get there. I'm about level 10 or 11 and still have yet to get that quest and by the way things are looking for my party, I won't get there anytime soon.

It's tough, that's for sure as you hit him with weapons and the like and will be a good challenge and worth the effort when you kill him. Give it a shot, if you can't do it right away, you can always go back to him.

Syl...

3. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm a level 12 Druid Shapeshifter with a Ranger, Cleric, Theif and two Mages! - what do you rate chances???

I've heard the comments about this whole cloud kill thing and would have to agree that using cloud kill with fog of war is a really lame way to gain status! asuming it was real, I'm pretty damn sure that a dragon could see you from quite a long distance.

4. Anra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I got my butt kicked severly, several times with as many different scenerios that I could think of and after having acquired the dragon sword and shield and having as much fire resistance as I could muster. My character is a 15th level fighter,Minsc,Nalia,Aerie,Jaheira,and Yoshimo. I've read about how others fight dragons and have tried the tactics offered but still die with amazing speed and regularity. Dragons should be very hard to kill and for me, they are very fear inspiring!

5. Sir Elwood Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It took me something like 20+ tries to beat Firkraag with whole party alive. I did it with my cavelier wielding the dragonslayer equipment and a ring of fire resistance (over 100% fire resistance) and with about 10 different boosts. (protection from evil, prayer, potion of fire giant strenght, draw upon holy might, with str total of 25, haste et cetera.)

I attacked the dragon with my cavalier, all my npcs as missile support, a 'safe' distance away from the beast. My cavalier was level 11, I think. It definitely wasn't as easy as some keep telling, but it can be done.

6. miniwoo Guest

Pah! just lay aload of traps in front of him while hes still friendly (ha ha) then attack him. Boom, no problem.

7. [​IMG] Miniwoo,

It's an old argument you raise; should you exploit game flaws to kill things?

For me, it is fun to stay within the bounds of "reality" as the game presents it. Certainly, no dragon would allow you to put traps around him in "real life." Nor would he sit there in the middle of a death cloud, huffing and puffing his life away.

But have it your way. It's your 50$.

bgp

8. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I beat the first time by using barrage.
    While Korgan talked to him Edwin cast lower restistance, my priest of Thalos lightning bolt, Viconia flamestrike, Jaheira poison,
    yoshimo lightning strike (Celestial fury)
    and Korgan then quickly used his ring of the ram. Then he wing buffeted my entire party.
    Then I sent my entire monster horde into the fray while I bombarded Firkraag with everything I had.

9. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i did it at Lvl 12

it can be done just a question of tactics! i did the run up and bash tactic and it kinda worked!

just be prepared to throw in a breach spell!

10. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What exactly is the "game flaw" when using traps?
    They must be there for a reason!
    I took him down my first time through without using them, but then again, I only had Nalia as my 'thief'. She hurts herself with them more than they help a battle. I lost two npcs, but was prepared with 2 resurection spells.
    Second time he went down in two attempts, but my monk took a whopping first hit on him (is that cheating too???)

This time I'm playing a f/thief, and so laid out 3 traps before the battle. All's they did was stop his initial magic spells on my team, then a couple of Breach spells and some summoned animals (2 bears) and he went down again. Everyone was hurt, but alive.

Enough of this 'cheating' crap. The only real 'cheats' in the game are the xp cheats (like talking to the tanner a bunch of times).

11. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Are wands 'cheating' too?

is Kai?

is Call on Holy Might?

is Breach??

live and let live. Or die as the case may be...

12. maxiwoo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] If they were looking for realism, they wouldn't give you the ability to sleep for 16 hours in a dungeon teeming with undead.
    Who'd do that?

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Killing Fierkraag isn't very hard when you use the right tactics. I killed him when my party was lvl 10/11
    I have the advantage of having 2 mages (mage and cleric/mage) in my party and that makes it easy to kill the bastard.

14. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My party was on level 14 there abouts , I found it quite difficult to kill him the first time , he laid waste to 5 of my party memeber permanently. Went back for round two and he died almost instantly , no cheating involved.

Cast Fire elemental and air elemental and summon skeletons.

Gave kelorn the dragon slayer sword , buffed up fire resistance etc.

Spoke to firkaak , got him to go red and attacked. Cast breac, lower resistance.

And then had my mage , jan and aerie , put 60 Magic missiles into its scaly hide.

4 mm spells per caster 4*3*5 = 60, took minimal party damage.

15. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I tried using this tactic, i don't know whether the guys here will consider it 'legal cheating' but...
    So after being killed by that dragons sooo many times i said to myself, ALL RIGHT! I am calling in the big guys. So i got Anomen to cast the gate spell(he's level 14) while Virconia protection from evil 10 radius, and me(conjuror) and Nalia pumped him with lower resist, the pit fiend appeared and demon feared the Dragon and -believe or not- Fikraag was soon running all over the place in fear while Minsc Anoem, Har'Dalis was chasing him all over the place trying to hack him to death while I contiuned bombarding him and Nalia seized the chance to confuse him with further with a chaos spell and my pet demon landing powerful punches and soon that nitwit was dead.

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

After using lower resistances, breach and pierce magic, Magic Missiles do realy much damage to a dragon. So a hint: Load a spell sequencer/trigger with your mage(s) before fighting the dragon. With the lvl 4 spell Minor Sequencer you can cast 2 magic missile-spells at once, and when you have 2 mages it realy kicks ass! A Trigger is even better.

17. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You guys are good.....I had to wait until after emerging from the Underdark before even thinking of fighting Firkraag.

When I did the quest in Chapter 2 Firkraag wiped out the whole party no matter what strategy or preparations I used. I finally gave up.

Cam back to fight him with Level 16 Ranger, Keldorn and Minsc, Lvl 13/13 Jaheira and Aerie and Imoen (these two practically stayed out of the battle).

Only used Resist Fear on the party. No other spells. Keldorn was using the Dragonslaye sword and had 100% fire resistance. Jaheira was there just for backup, I was using a Celestial Fury/Crom Faeyr combo, and Minsc wielded the Silver Sword.

It was a tense fight, but not a costly one. I kept expecting Firkraag to vaporise a few NPCs like he did the last time but ultimately he neven did. His spells were handily dispelled by Keldorn.

In the end the smack was laid down very thoroughly on Firkraag, and Minsc is going to get new armour!

18. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There were at least two big threads on the forum about dragon killing. You can look up on them.
    On my second run through I kille Shadow dragon at lvl 9 and Firkraag at lvl 11.
    It is much easier to kill him with magic - last time it was Magic Missiles, Melf's Minute Meteors, Insect Plague of course and Blade Barrier.
    You just have to read the feedback and see when he pulls up his second stoneskin and Protection from Magic Weapons. You need to Breach him after that and not earlier.
    Of course, the best way to stay alive until that is use two shifts of summoned creatures - one is wing buffeted, the other comes in.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.