1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NPC Elimination

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have seen several polls extolling the benefits and pitfalls of all the NPC's asking which one is the "best". However, this particular poll which I have set up is different, in that it is the form of an elimination style tournament. So, there are 8 questions that pair up the 16 NPC's (Sarevok is included but Yoshimo is not). There is no way to determine if NPC A got into a fight with NPC B, NPC A would definitely win, and that is not the purpose of this poll. Rather, it is simply the one you like better, whether that be due to effectiveness in the party, interactions with other NPC's, or their dialog. After a few days, we will take the 8 "winners" and put them head-to-head against each other. Remember, we are voting to see who you like better, not considering who would win if say, Jaheira got into a fight with Viconia. Note there is one error that I made. Aerie is on the poll twice. The second time she appears it should be Edwin, not Aerie (although I'm sure she would lose twice even given two chances to win).

[ May 16, 2003, 23:59: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 8 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: NPC Elimination (33 votes.)

Sarevok and Cernd (Choose 1)
    * Sarevok - 82% (27)
    * Cernd - 18% (6)

Minsc and Haer-Dalis' (Choose 1)
    * Minsc - 79% (26)
    * Haer-Dalis' - 21% (7)

Korgan and Valygar (Choose 1)
    * Korgan - 52% (17)
    * Valygar - 48% (16)

Keldorn and Aerie (Choose 1)
    * Keldorn - 67% (22)
    * Aerie - 33% (11)

Jan and Nalia (Choose 1)
    * Jan - 67% (22)
    * Nalia - 33% (11)

Jaheria and Viconia (Choose 1)
    * Jaheria - 58% (19)
    * Viconia - 42% (14)

Mazzy and Aerie (Choose 1)
    * Mazzy - 64% (21)
    * Aerie - 36% (12)

Imoen and Anomen (Choose 1)
    * Imoen - 76% (25)
    * Anomen - 24% (8)

2. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think you put Airhead in two pairings vs. Keldorn and vs. Mazzy. Also it was a bit unfair to pair Vic and Jahs - they are both amongst the most popular NPC's, tough that you paired them at such early stage. Fun idea, though.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That's a great idea...but I can't help but wonder what the thinking was when you paired Keldorn up with Aerie. Maybe it's just me... :p :rolling:

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I play evil once in a while. But ... I'm more comfortable playing decent or good guys so I selected accordingly.

Jan vs. Nalia. I respect that many people like Jan's stories, but they just drive me up the wall. On the other hand, they're not quite as bad as Nalia's preachiness, which btw verges on gross hypocrisy.

Jaheira vs. Viconia: Do you really need to ask ME that?

Keldorn vs. Aerie: Sean Connery vs. Alicia Silverstone ala Clueless. I'll take Connery.

Imoen vs. Anomen: Imoen's really quite a fun and spunky character, and she kicks *** as the party mage and party thief. Anomen does become an o.k. guy towards TofB, but his 'locker room jock' thing irritates me early on.

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I liked seeing the results because I proves to me that I'm not the only one who bases their NPC selections on personality rather than ability. Aerie is a good character but she is a wimp. Jan is a very useful charcter but he is mad. Haer'Dalis has a personality while Minsc can't even spell the word.

Great Poll. Make another and we must select according to either class or alignment.

6. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Very interesting.
    But I think some pairing really don't make sense. It should be fighter vs fighter, cleric vs cleric etc. As people pointed out, Keldorn and Aerie are not comparable.(maybe you are trying to compare Viconia and Korgan)
    I think it should be: Viconia vs Anoman(cleric), Jaheria vs Cernd(druid), Minsc vs Valygar(ranger), Valygar vs Yoshimo(backstab) Mazzy vs Keldorn(paladin), Edwin vs Aerie(spell caster), Imoen vs Jan(mage/thief), Haer-Dalis vs Nalia(very little thief ability). It's unfair to compare Nalia with Jan since Nalia is not a thief.
    Maybe I missed something but I don't really get the current one. I know it's not pure ability comparison, but they should be paired in that way.

[ May 17, 2003, 08:33: Message edited by: 14 ]

7. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You should have set a strict timeline until which people can vote though. That would be fair.

Also, what are you going to do about Edwin. He's my second favorite NPC and I wouldn't have voted for Mazzy if she would be against Edwin, not Aerie. In fact, I'm positive that Edwin would kick Mazzy's a** in that poll.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I thank everyone who gave me suggestions as to how to improve the poll. For example, pairing characters against each other who had similar abilities. In truth, I had considered doing that as well, but I decided against it, simply because I felt it was only a solution for the first round of voting. After half of the characters were eliminated, I would have had to pair up the characters again, and in the second round, with only 8 characters instead of 16, it would have been unlikely that I would have been able to come up with proper pairings. As the rounds continued, proper pairings would have become increasingly more difficult, until the last round where there were only two people left. Then the pairing would be obvious, but not necessarily with two characters that were similar in any respect. Perhaps I will later post a different poll taking this into account, but keep in mind, this wasn't a poll about abilities of NPC at all. It was a popularity contest.

I will take suggestions from everyone as to whether or not I should re-start this poll with NPC's paired based on some of their abilities, or continue as it currently is. Regardless, I will let the poll run for one full week before I post the second one.

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Very Nice POLL yeah like Annoymen ( This isn't some gramatical error... :p ) could win. I agree with 14 (and I though my name was weird eh?) Misnc vs Hear`Dalis? okay his dual wielding ability and Offensive spin is a killer, but on the other hand, a good sword ( Lilacor, Blade of the North, Sword of Chaos...etc) + Fighter THAC0 progression + Berseker ability + 18/93 Str. I think Minsc ( and boo :D ) would win!

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Next time ask and contemplate a poll first, and post later, not the other way around.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    [​IMG] @Taluntain

My apologies for double posting that poll. I simply revised it to go with what people perferred (and overall I think people like this topic).

Could I request that you close this subject? The revised one is the only one I wish to keep up with, as this initial one is intrinsicly flawed.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.