1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Time when finishing the game

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hux, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Just something I've always pondered:

Are you like me? I'm used to be a bit of a stingy guy in BG2 and in a lot of other games which as of recently I have started to think logically. I used to always never rest in BG2 because I would always say that I can still encounter and win many battles to come. I still have many spells left and why waste them (even though they're not really wasted since they are rememorised). By the end of the game (inc. Watcher's Keep), only nine or ten BG days would have past.

I also used to never use limited items like potions, wands, etc. By the end of the game (inc. Watcher's Keep) I would have like 500 potions of greater healing and 300 potions of superior healing, etc.

I know kind of stupid but thank god I got over that.

So, are you like me?
    Are you stingy like I used to be?
    How many BG days pass until you finish the game?

Thanx for your replies.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm a hoarding packrat. I rarely use potions unless someone's close to dying in battle (10 or less HP). I like to keep the potions and wands for when I *really* need them...which I find out through other people was that fight with Jon or Firkraag or Melissan. My typical runs in BG2 are around 70 days. I use my spells more often than anything and rest at least once a day if I can get away with it.

Now I'm so used to the game, I drink up healing when half HP are gone and use those strength potions and wands during boss fights. Lately, I'm getting into being sneaky, so catching a group of baddies with a Cloudkill or Fireball or Lightning Bolt from a wand delights my funny bone.

3. Hux Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I also used limited items (when I was stingy) when I fought Melissan. That was the only time. Each guy had 10 potions of superior healing in their quickslot and a wand each. They had like another 40 potions of superior healing in their inventory as well, lol.

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I used to be stingy, but I've gotten over it...mostly. I don't like to rest if it isn't necessary (many spells left & no one is fatigued).

Depending on what stronghold I have, because I wish to complete their quests that take time, as well as on how many of the major quests I simply pass by, I'll end up between 30 and 70 days for SOA, just a few more if including TOB.

The reason I sometimes pass by entire quests is to have slightly more variation, slightly increased challenge, as well as less baggage to carry. Even though I'm not so stingy anymore, I always end up with *some* unused stuff. The game is a bit too generous.

5. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yes I must admit I never, ever use wands (except lately I've started to use the wand of striking... :D ). I do, however, use A LOT of potions! I find myself needing to constantly cut back on using them. I don't usually rest much and I usually keep the party on their feet until they start complaining. :D Hmm...I've never kept track of the time though. I'll tell you once I'm done this time through. :D

6. Mihai SuperStar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

For me has passed about 200 days.I AM SOO GOOD!

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I am way too packcatty. :D I never use any limited-use items unless I'm in danger of someone dying. But of course that means I've got ****loads of stuff for the final battle. If I've gotten that far, I deserve to see the end movie with minimal fuss anyway. ;) 70 days sounds about right for me.

8. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I just about never use any charge-thingy at all. Never remember. Same goes for special abilities, once/day items, and similar stuff. I rely only on the spells i can cast, and the swords that i bring. So usually i always run around having potions of whatever tucked away in every crease and fold in armors and robes, and my mages look more like porcupines with wands poking out from all corners.

Example, i buy most of Roger the Fences potions of this and that, equip them in quickslots here and there, and there they stay, equally untouched as Boo.

As for the ingame days, i have no idea. Never gave it much of a thougt, but i would guess it depends on if i'm playing a fighter-heavy of spellchuck-heavy party.

9. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Fighter heavy classes can finish the game with very limited resting. I soloed a wizard slayer thief dual class once, used different weapons for different creatures, absolutely ate into potions, and by the time i had use any itm i used most of the spells scrolls i picked up if there was any point to it. So little reliance on cast spells, and only one person to take the potions i think i ended up finishing SoA and ToB in 9 days or there abouts. Thats what i like to call speed soloing

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I rest all the time. I tend to have 'favourite' spells that I always use. So I always end up using them and then resting so that i have them ready to use again. My games take loads of BG days, but I don't really see why that matters to be honest...

11. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I used to be picky about resting. I'd have to use up every last spell first. Now I don't mind as much, especially when romancing or waiting for NPC quest timers to expire.

I use extra healing potions liberally in battle. Potions of healing I use after expending healing spells. Then if I still do not decide to rest, I buy healing from temples. Wands I usually do not use... just sell them usually.

I think my typical game times are 60+ hours.

12. Winterine Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I used to be really stingy with wands and potions too. I've gotten over it somewhat now, but I still have more than I usually ever need. And I like keeping "trophies" from various quests - I usually store them somewhere in my stronghold. And I keep an armoury of sorts, hehe.

I usually finish the game in about 60 or so game days. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.