1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So powerful items mod that it is not funny!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] Well bless me for being a mod-lover but I installed some mod called Exnem or such, it introduced some spiffy items and spells to game. They appear through many random containers or loots from monsters. But, they are way too overpowerde. Want examples?

Armor of Camelot
    AC -6 (!)
    Armor bonus +4 (!)So what? My F/T Half-orc had -24 AC with that. :eek:
    DEX CON +6 bonus (!)
    Negative Plane Protection

or

Club of Crushing+3
    Damage:2d6+3 (!)
    Set STR to 25 (! Whoa this better than CF)

or

Some Helmet I forgot name:
    AC bonus +5 (!)
    Immunity to fear and stun

Nyara (ring)
    Fire Resist:+%85
    Cold resist-%40
    Invisibility upon wearing (so that this can be used as SoM for thieves!)
    Can cast two new horribly powerful fire spells.

Some spells:

Fang of Dracula (necromancy level 8) Does 60 damage to one, adds 100 HP to caster

Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga, elemental spells that do hundreds of damage!

Medusas Stare: Area effect, all creatures must make a save vs petrification at -23 penalty (!What the heck!) or petrified.

Horrid Leech
    Slows and poisons all, 15 damage per second. (Gasp)

And more, very unbalanced and awesome spells.

The only thing I like about the mod that it also adds new priest spells like Curaga (heals all everybody) PhoenixDown (resurrects all) and a few more. There are scrolls for these, but priests can NOT learn from scrolls, so there are special candles for priest to learn. Those candles, when used, will teach the recipient priest one spiffy spell. Idea is they smell the smoke of the holy fire and so on. Idea is cool but still.

Oh I almost forgot there are special potions as well. Potion of STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA all add one point to respective stat PERMANENTLY! Whoa, this could be cool if they were rare enough, but I found lots of these in orc warriors, orog bandits etc. random encounters; it is no fun at all. If I used them I would have 25 in all stats. There is one potion that adds 2 HP permanently, I used one. Only to test. Sue me. Oh there is one spiffy potion that heals all HP. Sounds cool?

So what do you think? Someone put a bad joke? Were modmakers aware that they created horribly unbalanced items and spells?

I did NOT use any item except that cool helmet and one potion for +2 HP. I sold other stuff for cash, I think they are too powerful to be used.

Should I uninstall it? Did you have it? It was fun to discover new items and spells but they are too frequent and too powerful and thus too unbalanced. And boy, they are t-e-m-p-t-i-n-g! That armor was so tempting I sold it to genies in Trademeet and than they were gone. :p

Share your thoughts with me. I may yet to discover other items, there may be more and more powerful ones and I am curious. I will not use MOST of them though, trust me. :angel:

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is pretty much a problem with most item packs out there, as far as I've discovered. I've also had loads of mods add tomes of int, dex, str, etc. to the game. I wouldn't mind any such tomes, but I do mind 10 of each being sold in Waukeens Promenade for the ridiculous amount of 2k gp :mad: .
    Such issues were what eventually lead me to do the BoM pack the way I did (even though there are still some quite horribly unbalanced items in that mod).

Just search the list of item pack modules here on SP, and you'll be sure to find most of them to be either equivalent to this in overpoweredness, if not even more so...

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well but this is ridiculous! Who can have fun with those items?

Your BoM pack is very precious than. Never mind slightly unbalanced items, SoM and Robeo'Vecna from the original game are unbalanced enough they are :p

4. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

hey Look. A final fantasy buff spent the time to import all their favorite massive powered Final Fantasy Items into a vastly over powered Mod!

I can see items that come from various games that never worked so well in their own games with over powered hitpoints and such being dumped into a game that is just plain much lower in numbers with such rediculous devotion to the items and spells themselves instead of balance in the game they wanted them in. But then mods are a recent thing to me and I am still learning.

Getting 1200 out of an (element)-aga spell is not uncommon just in case some of you guys aren't big on them. Heck I've done lots more in a couple of them by the end of the game. then again a 6 bonus in a stat is no real big deal either.

i got to say. the creator should have stuck to final fantasy in my opinion. But I am just one player.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I know Firaga Thundaga and Blizzaga are from FF, I watched a friend playing it on PS2, it was a great game with coolest summoning spells. Anyway, that Armor of Lancelot is from King Arthur or something like that, and it says that ring actually belonged to great sorcerer Gandalf! :eek: Yes, why not?

Oh my somebody really really mixed every fantasy setting into a not-so delicious soup! :(

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, originally, Gandalf is a dwarf in norse mythology... Well, back on topic :p

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Back on the topic, I say that while it is amusing to see new items and discover new spells, I only wish if they were balanced enough to be usable. If I learn that Medusa's Gaze spell for instance, what fun will ti be if I petrify almost anything with that ridicilous -23 to save? Or that firaga, thundaga, blizzaga, OK I love elmental spells, but they do insane damage! And guess what, poor enemies are unaware of theses spells so only my grı-oup can use them!

WOW wouldn't it be cool if the enemies actually used those spells? Like Great JonBon Casting Thundaga etc. or fang of Dracula or Medusa's stare :p That COULD have been fun! For me at least!

But still, those idea of teaching priests new chants via holy ritual candle smoke is sure nifty! I liked that idea! Can you make something like that Olim?

What about a BoM spell pack? Wouldn't it be cool? After all, this is boards of MAGIC right? What say you? Can you code spells as well as items?

Oooh I am curious!

8. dooms11 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree. And the spells that the mod uses pretty much suck. Imagine if he put in abilities that can do 9999 damage and hit multiple times.

Different games, different rules. In final fantasy there are bosses with 1mil+ HP so 1200 damage spell is laughable; however in BG where bosses have only several hundred HP's (if that) they become waay too strong.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hehe, and then people wonder why I dislike majority of mods. :D

There is cheap trash, then there is quality; you ran to trash. Get used to it. ;)

[ November 23, 2005, 14:55: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Ach this is the first time I regret that I installed a mod. Mods have shown me their beautiful face so far. Should I really uninstall this even I swear an oath not to use them?

Well maybe I can use some scrolls, but only USE, not memorising! Consider them as mysterious powerful special scrolls that can only be casted. I know it still sucks but not that hard at least?

11. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If your getting them all that often you'd be using them all the time anyway. I vote for uninstalling it. Remove the temptation entirely.

12. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@Andyr,
    I already have that mod. Thank you anyway. Yes they are not horribly unbalanced items, but that merchant is just cool beyond words! :thumb:

@Rastor,
    I don't know that mod! Will it remove powerful items from my game like Robe of Vecna, SoM, Crom Faeyr etc. Urgh I do not want that.

It also says that that mod is NOT serious so... :roll:

15. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think everyone who's ever modded a game has given into temptation at least the first time they modded something. You just can't help but give in to the power and create all sorts of silly-powerful items.

The key to good game design -- and good mod design -- is striking that balance between hard, challenging and easy.

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

That may sound a bit pointless ... but can you tell me where to get it because i feel like adding something insanely powerful to my game right now!

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  19. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Heh, glad you like him. :) Grim Squeaker had a lot of fun voicing Raoul for the mod.

20. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I bet the mod maker had more fun making the mod rather than playing it. Kinda like creating characters for a super party.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.